Question about Repeating (1 Viewer)

MarsBarz

HSC
I don't think that I will have to repeat but just in case, I was wondering what the procedure was.

Is it possible to do all the studying by yourself and then sit for the HSC next year in an allocated exam center or do you have to go to TAFE?

What if you don't need any lessons?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
well i guess this is a question even the smartest of us may come to ask!... it may just cross ur mind... or u may seriously consider repeating the yr!

Theres nothing wrong with repeating, but remember, u should keep repeating yr 12 as a last alternative (i.e 'just in case' nothing else works out)...

neways, ok, to answer ur questions:

when u choose to repeat the yr, u dont have to re-do all ur subjects, its up to u. so for example u may just want to repeat the subjects that u think u could have done much better in.

A friend of mine chose to repeat yr 12 this yr ... however he only did 8 units this yr...

so when u repeat u can do as many units as u wish!

as for studying by urself: Its a requirement that u complete the set hours for each unit, so even though ur repeating, ur still required to sit the allocated amount of hours!

U can repeat at TAFE, or any school that will accept u ( U can even repeat at ur own school, however this would often be less desirable for obvious reasons)

u need to do all set assessment tasks for each subject u repeat (and ur not allowed to submit assessments used in the previous yr, although u can use them as a guide)

have I missed anything... (probably)...lol
but if u have any other questions maybe I can clear them up, or perhaps someone else can!

Hopefully u dont have to repeat, as I said, keep it as a last resort, but generaly theres UNI track, or studying at TAFE then applying for transfer to UNI... (i.e 'backdoors')

I'll link u up to Kami's signature (profile) ...just a sec

http://community.boredofstudies.org/member.php?u=46709

There u go, just check out the links in his signature!... Good old Kami!

hehe, MAN! its 2:30, I should be sleeping...

Oh well!

Last edited:

MarsBarz

HSC
Thanks for an informative post.

In the 2005 HSC media guide, it states that this year there are 24 'Self-tuition students'. What exactly is self-tuition? Is that another way of saying homeschooling?
Do those people get assessment marks at all? I remember hearing that it was possible for certain people to have their HSC exam mark also count as their assessment marks or something. Is this true?

Are you sure that it isn't possible to study by yourself and then resit the HSC?

physician

HSC
MarsBarz said:
Thanks for an informative post.

In the 2005 HSC media guide, it states that this year there are 24 'Self-tuition students'. What exactly is self-tuition? Is that another way of saying homeschooling?
Do those people get assessment marks at all? I remember hearing that it was possible for certain people to have their HSC exam mark also count as their assessment marks or something. Is this true?

Are you sure that it isn't possible to study by yourself and then resit the HSC?

yeh, Im pritty sure Self-tuition is 'home schooling'... im not 100% sure how this works, but i always thought they'd have a home tutor or something, who spends the required amount of hours with the student. In regards to assessment marks!!!...hmmm... I think they do get assessment marks, it would be like someone whos in a school running a class for 1 student (In this case, their HSC exam mark is their assessment mark)

In a class of, let's say 100;

The person ranked 1/100 will obtain the highest exam mark as their assessment mark. Now if someone is in a class of 1 (or similarly, undertaking 'self tutition'..which is considered as a class of 1) that means they are ultimately ranked 1st, which means they'll get the highest exam mark as their assessment mark (which is their exam mark anyway, seeing as its a class comprised of only 1 student)

MarsBarz said:
well whatever u do, u'll need to complete all assessment tasks, and u need to be registered (obviously), with the board of studies. Im not 100% sure how this works, but try drop the Board of Studies a call.

When my friend repeated the yr, the deputy phoned the Board of studies to ask whether he had to repeat the 200 hours (I think it was 200 hours) for Arabic continuers, the reply was yes!... So from that my guess is that u'll need to do the set hours for any course u repeat!

althought it wont hurt to call and make sure, I could be wrong!

Last edited:

physician

HSC
miss_gtr said:
I would like to repeat.... i know i'll only get a uai of like 50, so there is no chance of uni, are you allowed to resit the hsc with totally different subjects?
like i did: english adv, ancient history, sor2, pdhpe, ipt and legal. I woulda preferred to do; english adv, ancient, modern, ancient ext, sor1, sdd and ipt........ would i be allowed to do that; like do modern, sdd and ancient ext without doing the prelim course?

Cheer up Miss gtr... Im sure u'll do way better than that!...U'll be fine!

At tafe, they complete both prelim and HSC in the 1 year..soooooo yeh i guess u could do those subjects, however u MUST complete prelim before u can move onto yr 12 for any subject! (except 4 unit maths and ext 2 english, which are merely extensions of 2/3 unit maths and english, which can only be undertaken as HSC subjects)

If u check out Kami's signature u'll see that it has a link to doing the "HSC AT TAFE"

I wish u all the best!

a8o

HSC
physician said:
yeh, Im pritty sure Self-tuition is 'home schooling'... im not 100% sure how this works, but i always thought they'd have a home tutor or something, who spends the required amount of hours with the student. In regards to assessment marks!!!...hmmm... I think they do get assessment marks, it would be like someone whos in a school running a class for 1 student (In this case, their HSC exam mark is their assessment mark)

In a class of, let's say 100;

The person ranked 1/100 will obtain the highest exam mark as their assessment mark. Now if someone is in a class of 1 (or similarly, undertaking 'self tutition'..which is considered as a class of 1) that means they are ultimately ranked 1st, which means they'll get the highest exam mark as their assessment mark (which is their exam mark anyway, seeing as its a class comprised of only 1 student)

althought it wont hurt to call and make sure, I could be wrong!
Maybe those 24 home schooled students are ranked in a class of 24 on assessments?

physician

HSC
a8o said:
Maybe those 24 home schooled students are ranked in a class of 24 on assessments?
Nah, im pritty sure theyre each given different assessments, and thus would have to be ranked individualy. Besides theyd all be doing different subjects, so it would be impossible to rank them all together!

Srixon

HSC
hey dont repeat if there is no major nead becasue it would be a waste of time as school sucks. there used to be this fella that went to my school and he repeated about 5 times lol u think he woudl of gave u by then and now i think he just does nothing anyways.

well hope u do well in the HSC so u dont have to repeat.
cheers

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Self tuition requires students to register with BOS and then sit the HSC exam at the end of the year. Nothing more, nothing less.

MarsBarz

HSC
sikeveo said:
Self tuition requires students to register with BOS and then sit the HSC exam at the end of the year. Nothing more, nothing less.
So according to you, it would be possible to repeat without having to attend classes. Are you sure that is correct?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yes I am. Only certain subjects are offered through it though. The science's aren't. The only way to do sciences which have a practical component is through OTEN.

physician

HSC
sikeveo said:
Yes I am. Only certain subjects are offered through it though. The science's aren't. The only way to do sciences which have a practical component is through OTEN.

r u serious, cool!

so what happens with assessments?

Last edited:

MarsBarz

HSC
physician said:
r u serious, cool!

Well I think this is what I was talking about before. Since you're 1/1, your assessment mark would be your HSC mark. Hence you're final mark would just be you HSC mark.

So can anyone tell us more about this? How does it all work?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
physician said:
r u serious, cool!

You don't do them - its 100% determined by the exam at the end. So this means if there is an emergency and you can't go then you get zero. Also as sikeveo said its only for certain subjects. Nothing with a Major Work or a practical component may be done through self-tuition. You also from what CrashOverride has stated in some posts must be doing all the subjects from that year through self-tuition if you go under that pathway.

And with TAFE most subjects are offered in the combined form(prelim+HSC) however some TAFEs, including Bradfield and OTEN the correspondence TAFE, offer preliminary and HSC subjects on their own, however this is not very common at TAFEs.

There are also heaps of other paths besides repeating HSC, so if you wanna check those out look at the link in my sig "Worried about getting into university?"

physician

HSC
MarsBarz said:
Well I think this is what I was talking about before. Since you're 1/1, your assessment mark would be your HSC mark. Hence you're final mark would just be you HSC mark.
yeh, I was aware of this, but I was unaware that u didnt have to do any assessments, due to the fact that if u were unable to attend an exam, u could appeal and hence theyd consider ur assessment mark. But as Kami has now cleared up, its quite a risky task, who knows what could happen on the day of the exam, and seeing as u havnt done any assessments, U'd end up with a big fat zero.

I thought self tuitition merely refered to 'home schooling'

well, I guess u learn something new everyday!

My apologies....!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)