question about school assessment mark (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muldersgun

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm new around here and i just have a question about school assessment marks and how they relate to your hsc/uai.
Is the raw school assessment mark most important or is it your ranking within the school in the certain subject more important?

I slightly confused at how the whole thing works. I got my eng. adv. assessment back today and didn't do gloriously well. It counted for 25% of the school mark, but there was a pretty large spread in the marks. I guess i'm just trying to make myself feel better so yeah moral support etc.

cheers

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
hey i'm really confused about it too dont worry! but from what i've been told, the HSC is only 50% of your overall mark... so is your in school assessment marks...

so if you get for example a maths exam that is worth 20%, really its 10% of your end of year mark...

AGB

HSC
the rank is the only thing important....the board of studies dont giv 2 hoots about ur school assessment mark, they only use the ranks. the external exam (i.e. the hsc exam) then puts these ranks into 'perspective', if you like, so that it all ends up being fair across all schools

duz that explain it at all???

kini mini

HSC
The raw mark does not matter *that* much in the sense that as raw marks are obviously not comparable between schools, they are moderated based on how people from the school do in the actual HSC. The ranking is all important. That said, the raw mark is still significant in that the differences between the raw marks in the school ranking in terms of standard deviations play a role in the allocation of marks after the ranking has been decided.

Originally posted by muldersgun
Hi guys,

I'm new around here and i just have a question about school assessment marks and how they relate to your hsc/uai.
Is the raw school assessment mark most important or is it your ranking within the school in the certain subject more important?

I slightly confused at how the whole thing works. I got my eng. adv. assessment back today and didn't do gloriously well. It counted for 25% of the school mark, but there was a pretty large spread in the marks. I guess i'm just trying to make myself feel better so yeah moral support etc.

cheers
I think the mark matters more than the ranking.For example while a raw mark of 90 may have placed you as 1 in one school may be placed as 28 in a school with a higher academic rigor.That's my guess

AGB

HSC
Re: Re: question about school assessment mark

Originally posted by Almighty Jafar

I think the mark matters more than the ranking.For example while a raw mark of 90 may have placed you as 1 in one school may be placed as 28 in a school with a higher academic rigor.That's my guess
no, you're completely wrong jafar

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Kini mini is correct. :)

Also... you can't simply trivialise assessment tasks by halving their value - that makes no logical sense whatsoever. Don't fall into that trap. Every assessment counts.

AGB

HSC
c'mon jafar....uve got no idea wot ur talkin about - i thought we were past just posting for the sake of posting....

muldersgun

HSC
hey, thanks guys for the replies

I just have another Q now, what are the merits of getting english tutoring. I'm thinking about it now, since a lot of ppl i know are doing it. Is it any real help?

cheers

Fi

I just have another Q now, what are the merits of getting english tutoring. I'm thinking about it now, since a lot of ppl i know are doing it. Is it any real help?
are u struggling??? Is ur teacher little help?? if not then why bother with it. Think about it this way, the fact that a lot of students are getting tutored will push u to study more . That way ull learn more since u'll discover ur own weaknesses, which u will then strengthen using ur English teacher at school.

muldersgun

HSC
Well i'm not doing incredibly badly. I think i'm usually above average but i just want to get those marks that will propel me to 'way' above average like top 25 in the year sort of thing. Would tutoring help in that fact?

Re: Re: Re: question about school assessment mark

Originally posted by AGB

[/QUOTE

minai told me that he got an exam mark of 92 and was ranked 25 in his school for english, while i was 18 and only got 76.Why? Rankings aren't directly comparable across schools due to variable competition.Marks are a better indication of true state performance in the hsc.

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar
Originally posted by AGB

[/QUOTE

minai told me that he got an exam mark of 92 and was ranked 25 in his school for english, while i was 18 and only got 76.Why? Rankings aren't directly comparable across schools due to variable competition.Marks are a better indication of true state performance in the hsc.
hav a look at this jafar...it will explain it to u

http://www.boredofstudies.org/other/Assessment_Moderation.pdf

they moderate ur assessment marks according to the external exam and your ranking....

Fi

Originally posted by muldersgun
Well i'm not doing incredibly badly. I think i'm usually above average but i just want to get those marks that will propel me to 'way' above average like top 25 in the year sort of thing. Would tutoring help in that fact?
It all really depends on you. If u have identifiable weaknesses and ur teacher sux then go for it. But i still believe that if u work hard on ur own u'll probably perform really well. Keep up the good work.

btw, isn't today's weather lovely (s)??

muldersgun

HSC
well my teacher's not too bad. I guess i might just stick with school.
Thanks for the positivity Fi.

cheers

bachelor

hmm.. to get a high rank u need to get high marks
to get high marks mean you get a high rank

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
u don't necessarily need a good mark to get a high rank. Take for example an exam that a certain class just did at a certain school (I wasn't in this class thankyou) Highest ranked got 42%, not even a pass. Someone's gotta come first, you don't need a good mark, you just need a mark less crap than everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)