Question about the BAC Arts Course (1 Viewer)

cuivienen

HSC
I got two offers today :) One for Bachelor of Arts and one for the Advanced Arts course. I'm sort of thrown off by the fees associated with the latter course, and will probably enter the Bachelor of Arts...

But what is really racking my brain is that the Second Year courses (in English) available to Advanced students are right up my alley, and I know I will excel in them. So I was wondering...Is it a possible for me to enter the normal BAC Arts course in the first year, and then defer into the Advanced program? Or is this a big no no, since when signing from the beginning, you are signing for the 3 year course?

Last edited:

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
they told me if u get a D or HD average in your first semester it dramatically improves your chances of being able to transfer into a higher UAI course - when u apply to transfer within a faculty they calculate a new UAI based on your 2004 UAI and your WAM (weighted average mark, your average mark over the semester).

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
Ok - firstly I wouldn't advise you to go full-fee paying for the BA (Advanced) course given that its essentially the same as the BA.

You can't defer to the Advanced program but you can transfer. Transfers are extremely competitive and based on 50% UAI 50% GPA. You really need to be getting a distinction average to transfer.

In the BA, my understanding is that you can do any course that BA (Advanced) people can. In the handbook where it says "Available as a designated Advanced unit" - that doesn't exclude BA students taking that unit. The reason it says this is that the Advanced course requires the students to undertake a certain number of credit points in designated "Advanced" units.

If you can be more specific with the units I can be of more help.

cuivienen

HSC
Thanks so much guys! :)

If you can be more specific with the units I can be of more help.
Ok The course I would like to in the near future is ENGL 3914. My question really is, will I be able to do this course provided I enrol into just a BA. That is my only concern and is making me quite toey...

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
To do it I'm pretty sure that you would have to do English as a major. The prerequisite is a credit average in 16 senior units of english (anything 2000 or 3000). You probably couldn't do it until third year just based on the degree structure of the BA.

To do it earlier you would need to do something like this:

First semester
2 x ENGL 1000 units

Second semester
2 x ENGL 2000 units

Third semester
ENGL 3914

The key is getting that credit average in the ENGL 2000 units.

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)