Question for actuarial exemption (1 Viewer)

lawforever

HSC
I was wondering that if I get a pass for a subject which requires a credit for exemption, can i repeat this subject?

I heard from someone saying if u don't fail a subject, u can't repeat it.

Can anyone tell me if that is true ?

Thanx

MuSaRuRWa

u will have to do the exam directly thru the institute, cant repeat it at uni ...........

lawforever

HSC
really.... does that mean u are screwed if u get pass for some certain subjects ?

maniacguy

Kindof. You're screwed in the sense that you haven't gotten your exemption, but at least you haven't failed, so you can go on and do other subjects. I know a lot of people who have missed at least one exemption on their way through. It's not really any big deal, though obviously it saves time and money to get it first time.

lawforever

HSC
I heard it z alot harder to pass that actuarial exam than 2 get a credit for a uni subject

I just received my microeconomics : 63 :(

MuSaRuRWa

yes, the direct exam is hardr ...... but apparently the american ones r easy. well i did a few for practice for actl2001 and they actually r easier than aus/uk.
ure only in first yr, dont start worrying yet :)

lawforever

HSC
Thanx a lot. I cant believe i did that crap in micro.....

I m really screwed if I only get a pass for macro next session.

MuSaRuRWa

lawforever said:
Thanx a lot. I cant believe i did that crap in micro.....

I m really screwed if I only get a pass for macro next session.
why is that?

micro 1 OR macro 1 is exemption, not both. read my thread in the commerce forum

lawforever

HSC
yep, exactly, that means i have 2 get credit for macro 1 and micro 2 now
that z the only option for me

MuSaRuRWa

no, u can get a 67 for macro 2. that would give u a 65 average for micro 1 + macro 2. in the case of the eco and finance exemptions, u dont need a cr for each subject, u just need a cr average for the 2 put together

maniacguy

No, as long as you get above 67 in macro 2 you'd still be able to claim the exemption - it's based on the AVERAGE mark.

That said, the actuarial staff prefer people doing macro 1/micro 2, and last time I talked to prof. sherris about it, he was thinking of making it compulsory to do macro 1/micro 2, so not giving students the option of macro 2. Don't know if he'll ever get around to it though.

Sorry MuSaRuRWa, didn't see your post when I was composing. May as well justify the inclusion of the extra post though, by pointing out that the changes in the Actuarial syllabi mean that the averaging also applies to some actuarial subjects now:

http://www.actuarial.unsw.edu.au/cu...entsActuarialProfessionalExaminations2005.pdf

Last edited:

MuSaRuRWa

i think its cos micro 2 is more mathematical and hence, relates more to actuarial. im thinking of micro 2 myself

lawforever

HSC
oh.. really... CR average. feel a little bit better now. thanx very much

i ve read your threads on commerce forum

wouldn't we need a credit for finance 1613 as well ?

which course of part 1 is that one under ?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
at least you got close to a CR

i still can't believe i only got 57!! :(
i was so sure that i got a credit after the exam
that's so disappointing and depressing

and i keep hearing people say that mirco 1 would be one of the easiest subjects ever...so it's not like it's going to get any easier

Last edited:

lawforever

HSC
exactly, I was feeling so confident after the micro exam

The weired thing is that maths 1151 was ok when I was expecting it to be crap

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
At Macq, we can repeat a unit until the actuarial department tells us we can't repeat again. Having said that, people usually give up after three attempts.

Also, the Institute exams look ridiculously easy for 102.. compared to my exam! ><

At Macq we're forced to do first year macro and micro, and second year macro. I had a look at the Institute papers for the Economics exemption and found that they covered things in second year macro and only first year micro.

MuSaRuRWa

lawforever,

u dont need a cr mark for business finance. that too is a combo of 2 subjects, and u need a cr average between them. its business finance and acct 2b (aka corporate financial reporting). it forms the finance paper under part 1 exams

kaseita

quick question:

in that document maniacguy put up, about actuarial exemptions syllabus changing, there's a part on pg3 i don't understand

If you are completing ACTL2003 in 2004 and miss gaining a Credit grade or higher (65%) then you may wish to consider completing the 103 half of the CT4 subject examination of the Institute in 2005 or 2006.
the next part i get (i.e. alternatively, do the other subjects for CT4/CT6 and hope the average overall is over 65), but what is the "103 half of the CT4 subject"?

maniacguy

I gather that the Institute, for transitional purposes, will run the CT4 exam in two parts for a couple of years, so that people who've already done one exam of the two don't need to do that stuff again. Hence if you miss the credit, then you can try doing that half of the exam.

I find a good strategy to deal with all this stuff is just to ignore it and get at least a credit in actuarial subjects, so that the question becomes irrelevant. Much less work all round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)