Question on the pool of marks (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
I know how the marks from the external exam will be distributed according to ranks amongst students, but im confused at the process

is this pool what i think it is, a total addition of all marks from the external exam, or do they not take the marks apart and merely align the internal ranks with the external marks?

to illustrate, consider this:

case 1
person A scores 99% in some subject, and is ranked 1st
person B scores 50% in some subject, and is ranked 2nd.

now, if the external marks are not taken apart, then if:
best external mark is 80% => person A gets 80%
2nd best external mark is 79% => person B gets 79%

Is that the case? if so, that doesnt seem very fair for person A seeing as how he stomped on everyone else in his school, but still only meagrely surpassed his closest rival
-or-

case 2
the class of 20 do the external exam, a 100 mark exam. they score on average 50 marks each, totalling 1000 marks making up this "pool of marks". Now, seeing as how person A is so much above B, he is assigned, say, 90, and B is assigned something like 60 etc according to some math function

Which is the case? or do i have it wrong altogether?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
They align the marks they dont rank them. If you cane someone in the internal rankings you would cane everyone in the moderated assesment ranks.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
now, if the external marks are not taken apart, then if:
best external mark is 80% => person A gets 80%
2nd best external mark is 79% => person B gets 79%

Is that the case?
No - unless those two are the only students in the class.

case 2
the class of 20 do the external exam, a 100 mark exam. they score on average 50 marks each, totalling 1000 marks making up this "pool of marks". Now, seeing as how person A is so much above B, he is assigned, say, 90, and B is assigned something like 60 etc according to some math function
This is more accurate. The relative differences between students are generally preserved by the moderating procedure.

You can test it out on our prototype program:
www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

Giant Lobster

HSC
wait... actually, i tried www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

I input

AM EM
80 90
20 89
19 88
18 87

and got
MM

The massive difference between 1st and 2nd didnt make that much difference in the modded marks... why is that? like you said, the relative differences should be preserved, but is the extent that small?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The massive difference between 1st and 2nd didnt make that much difference in the modded marks... why is that?
On the contrary, it made a huge difference. The exam marks are all very close together, so, initially, we know that the moderated assessment marks are all going to be very close together as well.

Look at the differences... 1.94 separating first and second, and then only 0.06 separating the others! The difference between first and second is over 32 times that of the differences between the other students.

Giant Lobster

HSC
hmmmm... so in the end, really, the externals decide everything right? theres not that much point in creaming ur peers in internals? i.e. 1st is 1st whether u beat them by 2 or 20 marks, the difference will still only be as far as the difference in the externals? (generally speaking)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
yeah, there are two things you want to do: beat them hard now in assessments and don't ever give any help to anyone in your school... then after the trials give them tutoring for the hsc exam if you have to...

the hsc is like a game... you have to know how to play it. ;)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
abdooooo!!! Im just fighting for every last mark I can get, I know I will come first in most subjects because of the school I go to. Is it really mean since Ill come first anyway to push them further behind?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Xayma
abdooooo!!! Im just fighting for every last mark I can get, I know I will come first in most subjects because of the school I go to. Is it really mean since Ill come first anyway to push them further behind?
no it wouldn't effect them... it may effect the total distribution of the marks between them but nah... help them after the trials if you're think you might stuff up in the hsc exam day and as a friend. ;)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
It would affect them, and it would push them further behind - but it's not "mean". There is no reason why you shouldn't be doing the best you possibly can.

Also, in the event that something untoward happens during your exam, and you need to file an illness/misadventure claim, that difference will be used to estimate what your exam mark would have been. :)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
This is unbelievable..... lazarus you sure this info is accurate??.
No way... im going to file a complaint or something. Someone gets my mark if they do better in school. ... :mad: especially cos my teachers dont like me fuckkkk this!!! :mad:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Don't get so carried away. No-one is 'stealing' your mark.

Whatever you achieve in the exam will always be your exam mark. That never changes. It is only the assessment marks that are moderated - and this is entirely fair, because it simply makes them comparable between schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)