questions on theatre criticism (1 Viewer)

supergirl

HSC
Okay, so I am terrified because although I have seen six productions this year, I am yet to finish the reviews, and it seems as though many of you have finished yours months ago. (I have done two of the reviews thus far).
I work well under pressure so I'm sure I will be okay, but I have a few questions:

1. How much does variety matter? All of the plays I have seen have been at the same theatre, and whilst being totally different performance styles, I am scared that I will be penalised. The reason I have seen so many at the one theatre is that I couldn't afford to do this option but the manager of a theatre company offered me complimentary tickets to the shows there. Any thoughts?

2. How much do aesthetics matter? I am thinking that I will set mine out in basic newspaper format, do I need much else?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

niteshade1312

HSC
Well you sound well on your way. I have written all four of mine, but I really need to sit down (perhaps on sunday) and just hack into them and edit them crazy.

1) In my opinion, variety matters because it shows that you know what theatre is out there and have actually gone to the effort to see things. For example: I have seen 12 plays and 1 tomorrow at Griffin, Belvoir, Lyric, Opera House, STC, School Productions and NIDA. But then again, if the styles are what you may be focusing on, then it would be nice to say that the theatre you have seen them at SHOW this array of theatre.. So I guess you can work it to your advantage....

2) I don't know how much aesthetics matter but if you set them out like a newspaper that should be fine

Agas

Stressed
HSC
hey, a possible idea would be to write the reviews for different audiences, for example do some of them for "Sydney Morning Herald" and another for "time Magazine" and another for "womens Weekly" or somehting like that.

If they are all of different theatre genres you should be fine...... i am in a little problem because two of my plays are from the same playwright, different theatres and genre's. Do you reckon that will be allright.....

niteshade1312

HSC
yeah thats fine, because its creates continuity. I ahev two plays from the same theatre but different playwrights and companies. Then I have two from separate compainies and playwrites.

I wouldnt write for Womans Weekley or Time magazine, because they don't focus on the arts, and although its a differnt audience, you might be already letting yourself down.

Agas

Stressed
HSC
Yeah good idea, thanks.... AHHH due next monday.. some one said that we were the first school to have the external marking... SCARY

Good Luck everyone

*kt*

HSC
five more days till due date!

how is everyone presenting their reviews? A4, A3??? in a folder, binded, loose leaf??? And how are you all presenting your rationale? What are you writing in your rationale??? so much to do, so little time...

plz help!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)