• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quick question about early entry (1 Viewer)

sixb0nes

xor sanity, sanity
HSC
How important is it to have community service or extra-curricular / sporting achievements to guarantee you an early entry spot?
Say I want to apply early entry for Information and Communication Technology, for instance, and I have high marks in IPT, SDD and 2-unit and ext1 maths, will this be enough to guarantee a spot?
Also, does the date I register for early entry on the informatics website effect my chances, like are there a set number of reserved spots?
Oh, one last thing heh, what sort of things do they ask at the interview? Thanks.

DooGseY

HSC
sixb0nes said:
How important is it to have community service or extra-curricular / sporting achievements to guarantee you an early entry spot?
There would be the rare occasion that some extra-curricular work would get you a spot but for the majority of the time I would say they are of no value, especially sporting achievements.

sixb0nes said:
Say I want to apply early entry for Information and Communication Technology, for instance, and I have high marks in IPT, SDD and 2-unit and ext1 maths, will this be enough to guarantee a spot?
Yes.

sixb0nes said:
Also, does the date I register for early entry on the informatics website effect my chances, like are there a set number of reserved spots?
Nope, they will choose who is best suited, not who gets in first. They give out (conditional) places to just about anyone that shows up though, so I wouldn't be concerned with there not being enough spots.

sixb0nes said:
Oh, one last thing heh, what sort of things do they ask at the interview?
Do you know what the course is about? Why are you interested in it? What would you like to do with an IACT degree? Why UoW? Boxers or briefs?

sixb0nes

xor sanity, sanity
HSC
Wow, thanks for the info guys. About the marks, my trial exam marks and rankings, respectively, were:

IPT: 92/100 2/43
SDD: 93/100 1/8
2u Maths: 92/100 4/43
Ext1 Maths: 42/50 8/14

I'm getting average to high marks in my other subjects (76 adv. english, 91 modern history, 17 studies of religion (ouch).)

So, going by this, what would you rate my chances of getting into a computing course? I want to go into either computer science or information and communication technology. Thanks in advance!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
sixb0nes said:
Wow, thanks for the info guys. About the marks, my trial exam marks and rankings, respectively, were:

I'm getting average to high marks in my other subjects (76 adv. english, 91 modern history, 17 studies of religion (ouch).)

So, going by this, what would you rate my chances of getting into a computing course? I want to go into either computer science or information and communication technology. Thanks in advance!
That is pretty damn high. you'll probably get in without early entry.

the UAI requirements of computing courses aren't that high.

I rate your chance of early entry at 99.95% :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I'll be a bit more reserved and rate your chances 99.85%

santaslayer

HSC
sixb0nes said:

Early Entry? Fuck off you prick. Try for scholarship, fucking nerd. :p

benno22

HSC
N/A
mate your english marks are shithouse, the interviewers will grill u on that

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
benno22 said:
mate your english marks are shithouse, the interviewers will grill u on that
Nah, that mark is fine. Especially since you're doing Advanced English.
I wouldn't worry too much about your English result.

Your Studies of Religion result however, though the subject is of little importance for an Informatics degree (let's hope a religious lecturer doesn't interview you), it might pose the question that you lack the effort to excel in everything. If you don't want to do something you'll not work for it.

That could just be me looking too deeply into it though, and I have a tendancy to do that.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Polok = the deep and meaningful one :p

The english mark shouldn't be a problem since you're doing advanced english... but i'd be tempted just to pretend that you never did religion as a subject when you put your application in.

santaslayer

HSC
Raiks said:
Polok = the deep and meaningful one :p

The english mark shouldn't be a problem since you're doing advanced english... but i'd be tempted just to pretend that you never did religion as a subject when you put your application in.
Yeah, that could work, I don't think they have any way to find out. Do they?

You only need 10 units anyway...you're doing a million...

pogiangel

HSC
StevChe said:
damn thats good marks and im suppose to compete wit high 70's :/
Do0d, don't sweat it. Really.

Alot of my friends that are doing Internet Science & Technology got UAI's of less than 70. haha... and the conditionals they offer people are really really generous anyways.

Cya next year (I will be doing mainly first year comp sc subjects next year, so i should prolly see ya there ... lol).

Cheers, Jerome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)