Quote for Satire/Irony from Emma (1 Viewer)

morgue

Does anyone know a good quote which shows satire or irony from the book "Emma"?

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
chapter 22 first sentence:
"human nature is so well disposed towards those who are in interesting situations, that a young person , who either marries or dies, is sure to be kindly spoken of"
this satirises Austen’s society (and indeed also our own) what must be remembered tho is that Austen’s satirical comment is not nasty, more playful. she is not encouraging people to change in her society, but is instead making social comment on the society with in which she lives. this quote therefore is an example of satirising her society- especially due to the fact that the couple being alluded to in this quote is mr and mrs elton, who in all respects, shouldn’t be kindly spoken of, however as she says, human nature still does.
hope thats been of help 2 you...
beccaxx

be-LIE-ve

HSC
Well, that was officially helpful!

Thankgod i decided to run through ll 17 pages of the forum ;) I will absolutely be using that example at some point in my year 12 life.

samwell

HSC
Thanks very much now i can make a stronger and more valid connection btn both composers and their witty ability to make social comments without telling people what to do.

Katieeee

HSC
I have another one, more irony than satire:

"In the same room at once with the woman he had just married, the woman he had wanted to marry and the woman whom he had been expected to marry"

Referring to Mr Elton being in the room with Augusta Hawkins, Emma, and Harriet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)