Raw Mark of 77 Scaled? (1 Viewer)

mimic

HSC
Question says it all...what does a raw mark of 77 scale to?

By the way do they scale after they get your "first scaled mark", like after your mark gets changed because of your rank...say im rank 9 and my mark gets pushed up by 2, do they scale you according to 77 or 79?

SpreadTheWord

HSC

By the way do they scale after they get your "first scaled mark", like after your mark gets changed because of your rank...say im rank 9 and my mark gets pushed up by 2, do they scale you according to 77 or 79?
My estimate, but im hoping im right. It would scale to about 88/89.

mimic

HSC
Yeah but that was along 87's...i wanna know if mine just made the cut for 90 :L But i know where you're coming from :S

Dylanamali

HSC

your raw mark produces an exam mark. There is no "scaling to it", only aligning.
The only time in which your rank comes into play is for your assessment mark.

I'd say 77 -> 89 exam mark - so that's your exam mark.
Your assessment mark will then be based upon the performance of your cohort and your respective rank.

Bored as brew

HSC
your raw mark produces an exam mark. There is no "scaling to it", only aligning.

Your exam mark will then be based upon the performance of your cohort and your respective rank.
i love aligning

mimic

HSC

Your assessment mark will then be based upon the performance of your cohort and your respective rank.
Ohk. Thanks for clearing that up! :) Hopefully i get a band 6 because 77 was the lowest i could receive if they mark harshly and 85 if they mark generously.

Dylanamali

HSC
i love aligning
haha the way it works is a bit weird..
those who got 77 raw will get around 88/89.. but those who get 90 raw, only get like 5 marks more in terms of HSC mark, 90 -> 95.
SO an increase of 13 percent, only equates to 6 marks.

So I guess it's easy to get b5, and even relatively easy to scrap in b6.. hard to get a good b6.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
This exam will be a beaut in aligning. I went home yesterday and had a look at the 2011 independent trial (it was on my desk...im not sad haha). I could answer everything, and i believed i would have achieved at least 95. This test (2011 HSC) was more about application. Anyone notice that it was mostly based on Search for a better health, or was it only me?

If everything goes according to plan, the worst case is 79/80, best case 87/88/89. I don't want to get under 80, because i have never recieved a mark in Biology under 80.

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
Ohk. Thanks for clearing that up! :) Hopefully i get a band 6 because 77 was the lowest i could receive if they mark harshly and 85 if they mark generously.
good luck with it!
mm, by the sounds of it you might be able to scrap in b6 for exam mark..
how strong is your cohort? coz this will ultimately effect if your final HSC mark is a band 6
as final HSC mark = exam mark + assessment / 2

dean94

HSC
What the hell...? If all this is true, then i'm so relieved... Combined with my assessment and rank I think I can manage a B6. Thanks for saving me from possible suicide

Dylanamali

HSC
This exam will be a beaut in aligning. I went home yesterday and had a look at the 2011 independent trial (it was on my desk...im not sad haha). I could answer everything, and i believed i would have achieved at least 95. This test (2011 HSC) was more about application. Anyone notice that it was mostly based on Search for a better health, or was it only me?
defs.. massive focus on SFBH, I think that's because the past 2 years has had a stronger focus on BPL, so they wanted to change it up a bit..
In fact there was hardly if ANY questions on blueprint - the only one was the collaboration of scientists for the DNA structure.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
defs.. massive focus on SFBH, I think that's because the past 2 years has had a stronger focus on BPL, so they wanted to change it up a bit..
In fact there was hardly if ANY questions on blueprint - the only one was the collaboration of scientists for the DNA structure.
Yeah i would have preferred more on BPL. I found that my notes (Excel Biology book) were not detailed enough for alot of the questions, especially the collaboration of scientists. All i could talk about was Watson nominated her as a mad scientist, and when adjoined by the sexism; it made her life and work more difficult. Also, how she gave them the DNA structure, etc through diffraction stuff.

Bored as brew

HSC
haha the way it works is a bit weird..
those who got 77 raw will get around 88/89.. but those who get 90 raw, only get like 5 marks more in terms of HSC mark, 90 -> 95.
SO an increase of 13 percent, only equates to 6 marks.

So I guess it's easy to get b5, and even relatively easy to scrap in b6.. hard to get a good b6.
look man, all i know is i did shit in that exam (about 75) and im gunna need aligning to heal the wounds ahaha

smartalec

HSC
the awkward moment when the answer really is 'coz she's a woman' in relation to the collaboration one...

nephh22

HSC
For this year's Biology exam, I would have to say that a 77 would be about 90-91. Anyone concur?

Dylanamali

HSC
For this year's Biology exam, I would have to say that a 77 would be about 90-91. Anyone concur?
too high IMO.
I don't think the raw mark will decrease for a band6.
The test wasn't harder, and I don't think people will do worse than previous years..

TBH, after viewing each of the exam forums after every exam, people seem to be "whinging a lot" (e.g. MX1) about the difficulty..
This may be what happens each year.. because it's a new test under exam conditions, but yeah I think the BOS set a fair test.

mimic

HSC
good luck with it!
mm, by the sounds of it you might be able to scrap in b6 for exam mark..
how strong is your cohort? coz this will ultimately effect if your final HSC mark is a band 6
as final HSC mark = exam mark + assessment / 2
I go to a selective school so we're generally strong, but my class is half dumb and i'm rank 9/17...so i guess it'll pull me up a little bit?

Dylanamali

HSC
I go to a selective school so we're generally strong, but my class is half dumb and i'm rank 9/17...so i guess it'll pull me up a little bit?
mm your about avg.. so you'll probably receive the external HSC avg mark as your internal mark.. wateva that may be..
to be honest, doubt the avg will be 90+, that's a very high avg.

mimic

HSC
mm your about avg.. so you'll probably receive the external HSC avg mark as your internal mark.. wateva that may be..
to be honest, doubt the avg will be 90+, that's a very high avg.
Yeah you're right...so i guess that means i'm getting a band 5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)