Raw mark vs Aligned mark (1 Viewer)

jasminerulez

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure if this question makes sense, lets say for mathematics I get a mark of 75, what would that approximately be aligned to ?

beetree1

HSC
does that website only publish like the highest most appealing aligned marks because it seems like everything gets scaled up by SO MUCH

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Massive highball I guess

If you want the lowball, hsc buzzman is all ears

quickoats

HSC
does that website only publish like the highest most appealing aligned marks because it seems like everything gets scaled up by SO MUCH
This is not scaling, it’s the alignment process. The “bands” correspond to performance descriptors e.g. band 4 = satisfactorily, band 6 = outstandingly etc, which may not line up with their allotted “marks” (b4 = 70-79 etc), so they align your raw marks to the performance scale. Let’s say in maths, someone who does the bare minimum to achieve the band 6 outcome gets 85 raw on the exam. NESA will align raw scores from 85-100 into the band 6 bracket of 90-100 (squeezing the range into the designated space).

Usually, you can achieve the designated band descriptor with a lower mark (e.g. a raw 75 in Adv English shows pretty decent skills -> aligns to mid band 5 accordingly) thus the alignment is quite significant.

quickoats

HSC
I'm not sure if this question makes sense, lets say for mathematics I get a mark of 75, what would that approximately be aligned to ?
Also note that rawmarks.info is most useful for past HSC papers. If you get 75% on one of those, you’d be most likely to get a higher aligned mark in your HSC.

Using your raw internal school marks won’t yield a significant result.

beetree1

HSC
This is not scaling, it’s the alignment process. The “bands” correspond to performance descriptors e.g. band 4 = satisfactorily, band 6 = outstandingly etc, which may not line up with their allotted “marks” (b4 = 70-79 etc), so they align your raw marks to the performance scale. Let’s say in maths, someone who does the bare minimum to achieve the band 6 outcome gets 85 raw on the exam. NESA will align raw scores from 85-100 into the band 6 bracket of 90-100 (squeezing the range into the designated space).

Usually, you can achieve the designated band descriptor with a lower mark (e.g. a raw 75 in Adv English shows pretty decent skills -> aligns to mid band 5 accordingly) thus the alignment is quite significant.
oH WHAT okay that makes a lot of sense cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)