Raw Marks + BOS mistake? (1 Viewer)

FTW

HSC
I only applied for my raw marks in English Advanced, Maths Extension 1 and Geography.

I didn't do that well, but I'm still pleased with my results.

English Advanced:
Reading 10/15
Creative Writing 13/15
Belonging Essay (The Simple Gift) 13/15

Paper 1: 36/45 (or 32/40)

FrankenRunner 14.5/20
Speeches 12.5/20 (FML Suu Kyi)
Julius Caesar 8.5/20 (Lol I only wrote 1.5 pages)

Paper 2: 35.5/60

Total: 71.5/105 or 67.5/100

Raw: 67.5/100 --> Total Weighted: 78/100 (with optional question scaling I'm assuming) --> Exam mark of 85/100

Maths Extension 1:

Raw mark: 65/84 (was aiming for at least 76 -.-)
Exam mark: 93/100

Geography:

Now here is where it gets interesting. I will show my marks then explain the problem.

Multi: 16/20 (FML)
Short Answer: 37/40
Ecosystems at risk: 16/20
Urban Places: 15/20 (I always sucked at long responses)

Raw: 84/100 (This is what happens when I add them up. I have added them up at least 20 times I know I am correct when I say this)
Raw weighted: 79/100
Exam mark: 91/100

Ok now I'm assuming the mark given to us at the bottom of the first page is the raw weighted mark as seen in english adv. But the issue is it just says "Raw Examination Mark: 79/100". I think this is wrong. Of my knowledge Geography does NOT get optional question scaling, your essay marks just stay the same. Even if it did get optional weighting, can't it only go up? I've seen other raw marks from English Adv earlier and that I saw none of the optional scaling went down. But in this case I somehow managed to lose a whopping 5 marks of the total raw mark given to me.

So in my opinion, it looks like the board of studies has given me the wrong raw mark. Their computer has added it up wrong somewhere, and I need more marks. OR. Apparently Geog essays are weighted and they move down ALOT! I mean realistically, I didn't score very high in them, so why would they fluctuate so much?

Anyway I'm going to call the BOS tomorrow, I already tried today, couldn't get through to the right people, then will post back with answers!

myafanatic

HSC
Looks like a transcription error to me. A raw mark of 84 would align up to 91 in geo - I would be very surprised if a raw mark of 79 got you a 91, which would place the cutoff for geo below even English. Good work on your results mate. :)

FTW

HSC
Looks like a transcription error to me. A raw mark of 84 would align up to 91 in geo - I would be very surprised if a raw mark of 79 got you a 91, which would place the cutoff for geo below even English. Good work on your results mate. :)
that's exactly what I thought. But since the only raw marks I have to go on for geography are yours and mine (I think we are the only people on Bored to get raw geog marks) I figure it can't hurt to double check.

myafanatic

HSC
True! Always worth it to check, I hope it gets you some extra marks haha! Did you go to Arden by any chance?

FTW

HSC
Most likely, you would have been in my cousin's class I think. :) Props to your cohort... you surpassed ours by like 10 ranks!
Yeh I was in his class, he did really well.

Also I spoke the the BOS guy today, and apparently (according to him) geography has optional question weighting AND it can go both up and down... but seriously for my extended responses out of 40 marks I only got 31. So that 31/40 went to 26/40? Isn't that a bit much? Also I have never heard of geography having optional question weighting before....

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh I was in his class, he did really well.

Also I spoke the the BOS guy today, and apparently (according to him) geography has optional question weighting AND it can go both up and down... but seriously for my extended responses out of 40 marks I only got 31. So that 31/40 went to 26/40? Isn't that a bit much? Also I have never heard of geography having optional question weighting before....
mine went down a few marks as well :/ wonder which one was the 'easy' question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)