• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Re-Gaining Motivation... (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
For all you fellow thespians out there, esp. if you're doing/have done performance, a question. What do you do when you're feeling stressed/doubting/worried/pissed off/all of the above about a performance? As in, how do you get back that enthusiasm and motivation? I was so excited when i first started my IP, but at the moment...i'm just feeling really "meh" about the whole thing. its shitting me because i really love the piece but i've never been this disheartened about drama before. Sorry if this is ranting, btw. But....*bashes head against wall*.... i dont know. maybe i just need to leave it alone for a little while. it's not so much the piece in itself that's the problem. it's more that i can see in my head the way i want it done, and yet i cant quite get my body to match that picture. it's frustrating. /end rant.

so, any takers? how do you get the spark back?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
go crazy with it. Just practice it louder than usual, and sillier than usual. That might help give you fresh ideas and help you become inspired again.

HSC
dont worry i feel the exact same as you

In term 4 last year i was soooo excited and pumped up but now i dont feel as much enthusiasm as b4, but dw i think this will happen with everyone because its such a long process and the performance can becoem stale just dont practice it too much or else it will lose its essence yea like the other person said on this try doing it in different ways liek even if it doesnt go and from there u wil be able to findnew things in ur performance..try not to think about it too much i guess. but i know how ur feeling im feeling bored with my performance and i dont think it shows my full potential and im feeling all negative over it all..dont wry good luck!!! xxx

Amy Lou

Academic
HSC
Play around with something else for a little while.
Work around with little pieces of the performance rather than the whole thing
also the more you tend to stress about it the harder you make it to be able to work with the piece.

This is not my forte' I like to change pieces as soon as they become boring, but as it doesn't work that way in the hsc or prelim I've worked out ways to overcome that. Mainly I'm always thinking how can I make this better and achieve the best possible marks.

But really just try and relax take a break for a little while.

Dartanus

HSC
I know exactly how you feel. at first I was all excited, then I saw the workload for hte year and I was scared. now im mostly just meh. The performace I still enjoy, its the logging of everytthing that annoys me. And i dont know about anyone else, but for me, annoyance leads to procrastination, and procrastionation leads to non- compleation.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
ALMOST everyone goes through this stage. I left my IP for 3 weeks and didn't look at it. Came back to it, found that I was doing shit in comparison to others in my class so I hauled my arse into gear and just went crazy with it. It helps. Go off with it.
Sing it.
Shout it.
Roll around reciting it.
Get people to heckle you (that really really helped me)
Recite it with another person, but they reply purely in gibberish.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
do it as a musical, or a melodrama.

you might find a darkly comical aspect to a serious play or a deeper theme to a comedy, playing around with it and getting out of a mental rut can be liberating and will ultimately make for a much greater final performance.

the main thing to think about when rehearsing is "how can i do this performance slightly different and better than all previous performances" and in this way it will remain fresh.

good luck, kiddo, you'll do smashingly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)