Real Answers (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Can you use titration/volumetric analysis to determine Ttoal dissolved solids? This is for the reference in Question 5 in the multiple choice.

I think it's D.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I dunno which one (ABCD) I picked but I thought it was the tripod with the filter (to remove undissolved soilds such as dirt first) and then the evaporating basin. I didn't think you could titrate to find the total dissolved soilds, but I may be wrong.

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
titration is used for volumetric analysis, which requires chemical reactions... TDS is more a physical thing so i chose the bunsen and the filter one (can't remember which letter it was)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Ash is quite right.

you can't use titration. Titration may determine the concentration of one particular substance (eg Mg ions etc) but note how it says TOTal dissolved solids? it has to be everything.. all ions.. the only two ways are gravimetric and conductivitty testing.

With the gravimetric, you need to remove off undissolved solids first for the evaporation to be validly dissolved solids. what crappy grammar (and i have my 3u exam tmz =P). ubt u know what i mean.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Carla2003
so the answer to 15 is a???
Where's this come from? we are discussing about Question 5.
But 15 is A

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I put D in question 5. Isn't one of them a separation of two liquids? (as one of the options)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think i put D for 5...was that the one with the evaporating basin, and the tripod/filter paper one?
i think it was Q and S??

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Yeah that was it. P was titration, Q was evaporating basin, R was a separating liquid thing and S was the tripod filter paper (l may have mixed Q and S up there...)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think the question was a big ambiguous. i thought they meant 2 separate ways, not 1 way with 2 things

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
But I don't think you could use titration to determine the TDS!! So it can't be A.
It's D!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i got the answer in another thread

firstly, it said MUDDY WATER, i assumed it was clear water, therefore you do have to filter and then evaporate
Originally posted by Survivor39
But I don't think you could use titration to determine the TDS!! So it can't be A.
It's D!
but i did it by elimination. first i thought it was definitely not S(the filter) which left me with A and C, and i knew it was not the separating funnel either so i had to choose A

i misinterpreted the question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)