Reasoning? (1 Viewer)

CieL

HSC
My new laptop is keeping me baffled..

I connected to my wireless..... but for some reason, the only pages that will load include google and youtube.

That is all.

Hotmail, bos, msn, etc.. nothing works..

I can't even register/update my anti-virus goddamit..

I installed Firefox, thinking it might be IE lagging or some crap.. but it's still the same.. google might pop up a tad faster in firefox, but overall, the first search page still takes a good 20secs to appear.. and in youtube, the video preview pics dont load either.. well, maybe they do.. but I ran out of patience within waiting for 5mins..

I haven't tried it in another location yet.. haven't had time.. probably pop over to uni sometime and see if I get anything..

It's just really lame when you buy a new $2000 toy and all it does is just sit there and do nothing.

Also, I might have to go get it checked out.. there's 3 ventilating bits at the bottom, and the part where the upgraded ram is [middle fan], the fan makes a funny tiny tiny clicky noise at random times.. Might be the dealer's fault, I'm not sure.. but I dont think a brand new laptop wouldnt purr smoothly..

Suggestions?

alby

cool duckie
HSC
the only thing i can think of would be your firewall or something like that.
what anti-virus do you have? my bf said sometimes there's the windows firewall & norton firewall active at once so it blocks basically everything. get rid of norton if you've got it..get something like avast instead. and change the windows firewall settings

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
CieL said:

I connected to my wireless..... but for some reason, the only pages that will load include google and youtube.

That is all.

I installed Firefox, thinking it might be IE lagging or some crap.. but it's still the same.. google might pop up a tad faster in firefox, but overall, the first search page still takes a good 20secs to appear.. and in youtube, the video preview pics dont load either.. well, maybe they do.. but I ran out of patience within waiting for 5mins..

I haven't tried it in another location yet.. haven't had time.. probably pop over to uni sometime and see if I get anything..

It's just really lame when you buy a new $2000 toy and all it does is just sit there and do nothing.

Also, I might have to go get it checked out.. there's 3 ventilating bits at the bottom, and the part where the upgraded ram is [middle fan], the fan makes a funny tiny tiny clicky noise at random times.. Might be the dealer's fault, I'm not sure.. but I dont think a brand new laptop wouldnt purr smoothly..

Suggestions?
Could be various things causing these problems you describe.
Firstly though, it's advisable to download updates for the anti-virus protection program. Enter safemode, and run the virus scanner.
If it's making noises which have recently developed, take it back right away.

rusticmetal

HSC
CieL said:

That is all.

Suggestions?
same thing happened to me, all that loaded was the ANZ page. i cant remember what fixed it, but i know it wasnt a hardware problem. was up and running in a couple of days.

rusticmetal

HSC
i hate security software. i installed mcaffee sweet on a desktop once (that one which boots before explorer.exe). rebooted, and it jammed on loading (before explorer.exe could boot). this happened every time for like a week, couldnt use the damn computer. had to get rid of it through safe mode and restore

[/RANT]

CieL

HSC
haha great thanks for the advice guys.

However.. I think the damned thing just doesn't like me..

Initially the dealer had PCTrend installed onto my comp.. the laptop played up for a couple of days at my house.. however, I just went to my friend's house.. connected to his wireless like usual.. and it started working instantly?!

Uninstalled PCTrend and installed McAfee [never had problems with this antivirus, for years and years].. updated..

Went home and connected same as before.. and it goes to every site..

HOWEVER.. one more problem..
The new laptop literally runs 10x slower than my old laptop.. as in, DL'n a page.. I ran a 3MB DL test and it was downloading bananas in comparison to my old lappy.. both are connected via wireless to the same router, I dont see why..

EDIT: I think it's my crappy D-Link.. possibly.. might have to go elsewhere and run the test again to see where the fault lies at.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
alby said:
she just said she couldnt register/get upgrades for her anti-virus!
ok then slick! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! 1 11!!!!!

AVG FREE EDITION

AVG FREE EDITION

Last edited:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Try decreasing your MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) since you're using wireless.
Use DrTcp maybe somewhere around 1424 should be sufficient.

CieL

HSC
Another possibility I've been told is that..

I bought my wireless router like years ago.. and it's likely that it doesn't support vista?

I tried to go to support to flash it, but it's so lame.. it goes:
Choose your country of residence:
- Canada
- America
- Mexico.

Great, thanks D-Link, great help you are.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Steal one of the bolted down routers at uni >:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)