• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Recommended texts - Admin & FedCon (1 Viewer)

dissipate

HSC
N/A
which books are recommended for admin and con? i'd like one that gives a good overview of the area and one that goes more in-depth for both subjects.

aronson is probably the one that goes more in-depth for admin eh.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: admin and con books?

dissipate said:
which books are recommended for admin and con? i'd like one that gives a good overview of the area and one that goes more in-depth for both subjects.

aronson is probably the one that goes more in-depth for admin eh.
Aronson's Judicial Review of Administrative Action is a highly respectable text. The Federal Court and even the High Court refers to it from time to time. However, it is not really a very accessible book for students.

The prescribed text for the administrative law course at UNSW is Creyke and McMillan's Control of Government Action - Texts, Cases & Commentary. I found it to be a fairly useful book. It is easy to read and reasonably well structured.

For constitutional law, there is Blackshield and William's Australian Constitutional Law and Theory. Unfortunately this isn't a very good book for the subject. It is really a public law textbook and, as a result, tries to be too many things at once. Despite being larger than a brick, the book lacks enough commentary for constitutional law. It is also fairly poorly formatted.

Hanks, Keyzer and Clarke's Australian Constitutional Law is a neatly structured text with an appropriate economy of words for students wishing to have a clear introduction to all the areas of constitutional law. It is slightly outdated now but a new edition may be coming out soon. One of the authors, Patrick Keyzer, is a barrister practicing in constitutional law. He also teaches the subject at UTS, where this text is prescribed.

Booker, Glass and Watt's Federal Constitutional Law - An Introduction is a great book, but unfortunately it is quite outdated -- the last edition being 1998.

Anything on constitutional law written by Professor Leslie Zines is worth a look too, but most likely outdated by now.

Rorix

HSC
Re: admin and con books?

Moonlight, Zines will soon (likely within this semester) be releasing another edition of HCA & The Constitution. Likely to be his last, according to those in the know.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
At least Creyke and McMillan is better than Cryke's lectures. Our lecture tapes are interspersed with mobile phone conversations where Cryle goes into specific detail about clothes washing.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
neo o said:
At least Creyke and McMillan is better than Cryke's lectures. Our lecture tapes are interspersed with mobile phone conversations where Cryle goes into specific detail about clothes washing.
really?? lol!

our prescribed text for admin is creyke too but i kind of dislike it. it's like luntz and hambly.. choppy.

hope zines releases his book fast. took a look at booker and zines and they explain things nicely - thanks MS!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)