Redoing a subject you have passed (1 Viewer)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Lets say for example you get 50 for a subject buts its an important unit for subjects later on. In theory, would you be allowed to redo the subject? Or can you only redo if you get <50??

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
You cannot repeat a subject you have passed.

You can only fail a subject twice. If you fail it a third time, you need to show good cause, or you are prevented from doing that subject and can get kicked out of your course.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah as has been said you won't be able to do a subject you have already passed.

Although, when I originally transferred courses at the beginning of the year, I told the person who was on the computer enrolling me what subjects I wanted to do (one of which was a subject I had already did, just wanted to see if I could get a better mark in it), and she enrolled me in all of the subjects without consideration of any prerequisites or prohibitions. Later on though I withdrew from all my Semester 2 subjects to pick entirely different ones, and I couldn't re-enrol in that subject I had already done through myUni.

I don't know, maybe I just got lucky with a lazy enroller :p.

zxreth

HSC
Yeah as has been said you won't be able to do a subject you have already passed.

Although, when I originally transferred courses at the beginning of the year, I told the person who was on the computer enrolling me what subjects I wanted to do (one of which was a subject I had already did, just wanted to see if I could get a better mark in it), and she enrolled me in all of the subjects without consideration of any prerequisites or prohibitions. Later on though I withdrew from all my Semester 2 subjects to pick entirely different ones, and I couldn't re-enrol in that subject I had already done through myUni.

I don't know, maybe I just got lucky with a lazy enroller :p.
You didn't get lucky. A lot of people do this when they transfer, they only apply for credit for their best units and try and get better marks in the ones they did poorly in, even if that means more time/money spent.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Which is what I did. But it doesn't change the fact that I should have been prohibited from doing the exact same unit twice. I would have thought that universities would be quite particular about those things.

Last edited:

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
So if you dont apply for credit in a unit it just disappears into the wilderness. What about a subject relevant to your degree that you dont apply for credit for because you failed it... would that count in your new degree

Im sort of surprised by what this thread has taught me. I would have thought if you got lets say 50 in a unit thats prereq for many of the courses you want to do in intermediate/senior level, youd be perfectly entitled to repeat it. And from a financial view it means more money for the uni.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
That's right, if you don't apply for credit, it won't appear on your transcript or be counted towards your degree. However, you still won't be allowed (at least via the standard means) to enrol in that unit. If you fail a unit it is a different story; do it again, don't apply for credit for it and it won't affect you academically.

Perhaps they should reconsider their policy but that is how it stands at the moment. Of course if that were the case perfectionists such as myself would be at university forever haha.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Lets say for example you get 50 for a subject buts its an important unit for subjects later on. In theory, would you be allowed to redo the subject? Or can you only redo if you get <50??
http://sydney.edu.au/policies/showdoc.aspx?recnum=PDOC2012/241 Clause 8.1

A student who has completed a unit of study towards the requirements of an award
course may not re-enrol in that unit of study, except as permitted by faculty resolution
or with the written permission of the dean. A student permitted to re-enrol may
receive a higher or lower grade, but not additional credit points.

engineering

HSC
N/A
So if you dont apply for credit in a unit it just disappears into the wilderness. What about a subject relevant to your degree that you dont apply for credit for because you failed it... would that count in your new degree
?????

If you fail a unit of study at another institution, and you dont apply for credit for it, how could it possibly count in your new degree.

I suspect there is a nuance in your definition of "counting".

If you are granted credit for something you did somewhere else it has severla implications at USyd.

Imagine you did maths at UNSW and USYd has granted you credit for the equivalent MATH1001 at USyd.

1: If MATH1001 is a core for your usyd course, then you do not have to do it.
2: If your usyd course has a total of 144 credit points, then MATH1001 already counts as 3 (ie you only have to do 141 at usyd).
3: The mark you got for maths at UNSW does not contribute at all to your usyd wam. It does not matter if you got 99 or 50 at UNSW. Your usyd WAM is only affected by the subjects you actually do at usyd.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I imagine it would.

I actually wasn't aware that was the case, I always assumed the opposite. Thanks for teaching me something today engineering. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)