Referees (1 Viewer)

simplyinsanity

HSC
Hi everyone. I'm a first year uni student who is trying to apply for casual or part time jobs (online). However, I have a couple of questions regarding referees.

1) Is it weird/bad if both my referees are from the place I am currently working at?

2) Would it be better to include their contact details on my resume? Or, just write 'available upon request'?

proflayton

HSC
Don't write upon requests, its wastes their time. I tell you what you do you write you worked in a business that has closed down, say you worked their for 5 years and write your friends mobile number down as a reference. they can't say why is their no landline, you say to them its closed and their is no land line
peace out!

madharris

HSC
N/A
Don't write upon requests, its wastes their time. I tell you what you do you write you worked in a business that has closed down, say you worked their for 5 years and write your friends mobile number down as a reference. they can't say why is their no landline, you say to them its closed and their is no land line
peace out!
dafuq is wrong with you? >.>

~~~

OP:
- It's not weird/bad as long as you notify your referees that they should be expecting an email/phone call soon about a job you're applying for
- Write down their contact details to save them the trouble. (name, email, phone)

enoilgam

HSC
From what I have noticed, referees arent really a major part of the recruitment process anymore. Generally speaking, businesses usually contact referees after making a decision on a candidate, at which point they request a referee from you. The referee has become more or less a final screen to ensure that the applicant is legitimate. So it shouldnt really matter if your referees are from the same place. I would also put "Referees available upon request" because it gives you more room in your CV - having their contact details in there is a waste of space.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
For the level at which you're applying for Op (i.e. it's unlikely to be a lateral hire/professional role), the references are likely to be less sensitive of an issue (i.e. you're not trying to jump ship from your current job) and are more expected to be character references than anything else (e.g. your local newsagent owner says you always turned up on time and did things carefully). Depending on the job you're applying for and the resources of the interviewer (i.e. is it an HR function or small business owner), they may or may not call the referees. In my experience I've never called for references as you can usually get it from the interviews; but I have been asked to provide references for my past staff when peopke have applied for professional roles (pretty much anything with 6 figure salaries).

ps. To answer your question more directly, I'd just put referees available upon request if you don't have anyone in mind just yet but when I was at your stage, I asked a teacher, my deputy principal and my work experience supervisor (who happened to be a partner in a rival firm).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)