Registry Problem (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Last week I started my laptop and there was a registry file failure. I fixed it through restore console and it worked fine. Last night I left it running and when I got up it was on the blue screen and when I restarted it

\windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt.

The way I fixed it last time isn't working. I have read on a couple message boards that even if I fix it this time it will keep coming back. My best guess from what I have read is that there is a problem with the hardware somewhere that is causing the whole thing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Will reformatting permenantly fix it or not?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
politik said:
Dont reformat, but reinstall. Windows will just overwrite all it's main registry values and that should work.
But is that a permenant solution, because when I fixed it before I replaced the corrupt registry values with good ones and it just got corrupt again within a week.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Yes, it is a permanent solution (or it should be). Reinstalling basically writes over the operating system (and important registry files) while leaving everything else intact. System Restore is a bit more fiddly in how it works. Either way, you have nothing to lose.

Alternatively, you can follow the following procedure at Microsoft's support site. Be very careful when you do it, and follow the instructions carefully. Best of luck.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

I_F

iamsickofyear12

HSC
insert-username said:
Alternatively, you can follow the following procedure at Microsoft's support site. Be very careful when you do it, and follow the instructions carefully. Best of luck.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

I_F
I did that the first time and it worked. When I do it now and try to put in the second line:

copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak

it tells me it can't find the file.

If I reinstall will I have to enter the serial number again or will it copy it from the old OS because I don't have any activations left so I'll have to ring microsoft to get another one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)