Reject Shop Group Interview (1 Viewer)

nicollette

HSC
So I have a group interview for the new Endeavour Hills shop coming up this Tuesday. I'm quite nervous as the only interview I've been to was Maccas one which didn't involve me having to compete with a gazillion of people's voices. What should I expect? Has anyone here ever been to one of these? What questions do they ask?

Thing is, I applied like 2 months ago so I'm not 100% sure what the job entails, though Scott (the HR manager) who rang me today said I applied for shop assistant/team member - what are the duties of this position? If so could you help me out, would be greatly appreciated :D

Oh yeah, what's the pay like for a 16 year old?

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
The pay is about $0.25/hour. Work 8 hours and you'll have $2!

nicollette

HSC
Serious responses please, wow I just want a little help but to no avail......

blakegman

HSC
N/A
nicollette said:
Serious responses please, wow I just want a little help but to no avail......
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE, I MEAN INTERNET.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Sorry I don't know.

As for the Reject Shop... How embarassing, sorry.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
JaredR said:
Sorry I don't know.

As for the Reject Shop... How embarassing, sorry.
embarassing like Israel am i right ?

nicollette

HSC
Embarassing? I'm doing it for a bit of experience to start other things, and no I don't want to work at fast food stores so I can get worked unrelentlessly for shit pay, which is why I rejected maccas job offer. I remember some girl telling me she got 9.50 an hour at the reject shop, so that's not too bad but I was trying to confirm what the wages was, so that's why I asked.

So sorry Mr. Israel, but frankly I couldn't give a flying fuck if you think its embarassing or not, if you couldn't help me with my query why would you post such a negative, narrow-minded comment - you should do me the favour of getting on a plane, and flying back to Israel, smelly (now that wasn't negative at all).

Oh and thankyou for that lovely induction to the internet blakegman, I've kind of used it ALOT, but anywho :)

GinoIs

HSC
Give the girl a break.

Group interviews are just there to see how people perform with others and see what personality you have.

shop assistant/team member
Walk into crazy clarks or the like and watch the kids around your age group

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
OMG RUN AWAYYYY

i used to work at the reject shop last year; i got $7.80 and i was 16. i sent out my 'resume' to heaps of places and they called 5 months later and i had an interview. not a group one though. the impression i got was that they hire anyone. and i mean anyone. i guess it all depends on the management of your store, but there are some real douchebags there. on the upside they were fine with giving time off if i gave them reasonable notice.

i mostly worked on registers, which was alot more bareable than when i occasionally had to to do 'recovery'. 4 hours seemed like an eternity. also i noticed i got a permanent sore throat after working there awhile, i'm pretty sure it had something to do with fumes from all the plastic shit they sell.

but nah, i think it ultimately comes down to the other people who work there.

BUT you should consider the low morale the place exudes, i really hated telling people where i worked.

although tbh i did actually like it for the first few months, and really, its all experience. present well in the interview and you'll be fine.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
nicollette said:
Oh and thankyou for that lovely induction to the internet blakegman, I've kind of used it ALOT, but anywho :)
No problem. First piece of advice comes free.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
Any pay under $10 is pretty much slave labour - don't waste your time.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
GreenLeaf said:
Any pay under $10 is pretty much slave labour - don't waste your time.
maybe its not about the money... just the experiance =/
but yeah i see ur point..

alittletense

HSC
omg for the love of christ do not work there. i was a wage slave there for 3 years. I've worked since i was 14 and THAT was my first job. First yr was registers and lifting boxes, the next I was made supervisor. yes supervisor. at 15. shows their standards eh? Pay was $7.80 per hour for me (15 yr old) till the union stepped in and it rose to $9 something. I stayed till I was 17 and they paid me $11 I think....
Its basically russian roulette. You dont know who youll end up with. Personally, I find ppl in the same miserable situation (ie working in retail) tend to bond, but there are some real ass wipes out there. I made a bunch of friends, but there were also people there who as made it to my hate list lol.
advice for the interview? well i didnt get one because I was cheap labour when they hired me (they heard that i was 14 and they couldnt yank me in fast enough haha), but I've been to others and I think if you just cater to their ideal employee type theyll go for u. I went for diva and acted like a supre chick (read: preppy airhead) and they loved it. so for reject shop id just say sit up straight, say all the right answers in regards to teamwork and ur opinion on stealing (e.g.: 'teamwork is essential for a effective and effieicent business, and as such must have motivated employee etc etc' and 'any stealing is stealing from the company and illegal and intollerable etc etc) and it'll be fine

nicollette

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
haha what a funny title.
You have a great sense of humour, on another note...

alittletense said:
omg for the love of christ do not work there. i was a wage slave there for 3 years. I've worked since i was 14 and THAT was my first job. First yr was registers and lifting boxes, the next I was made supervisor. yes supervisor. at 15. shows their standards eh? Pay was $7.80 per hour for me (15 yr old) till the union stepped in and it rose to $9 something. I stayed till I was 17 and they paid me $11 I think....
Alright so what should I do? Not go into the interview because the job is seemingly 'slave labour' or gain some experience then get a better job after I get a reference from that? I'm confused, registers and lifting boxes doesn't sound too bad unless someone thinks they're a princess and too good for a little strenuous work.

9.00 an hour? That's not bad if your 15, but I can't believe they promoted you to supervisor at that age and yeah I'm alright with interviews, weirdly enough I don't get nervous but I was just wondering what questions they asked :)

nicollette

HSC
carrots please! said:
OMG RUN AWAYYYY

i used to work at the reject shop last year; i got $7.80 and i was 16. i sent out my 'resume' to heaps of places and they called 5 months later and i had an interview. not a group one though. the impression i got was that they hire anyone. and i mean anyone. i guess it all depends on the management of your store, but there are some real douchebags there. on the upside they were fine with giving time off if i gave them reasonable notice.
Things might of changed a tad in their work ethic, but I'll take your word on it. Real douchebags is a bit loose, do you mean bad management, work environment, managers, employees? They seem pretty flexible, and desperate for workers so that sounds alright to me :D

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
nicollette said:
You have a great sense of humour, on another note...

Alright so what should I do? Not go into the interview because the job is seemingly 'slave labour' or gain some experience then get a better job after I get a reference from that? I'm confused, registers and lifting boxes doesn't sound too bad unless someone thinks they're a princess and too good for a little strenuous work.

9.00 an hour? That's not bad if your 15, but I can't believe they promoted you to supervisor at that age and yeah I'm alright with interviews, weirdly enough I don't get nervous but I was just wondering what questions they asked :)
i would go for the interview, work there for a while and then go for somewhere better .
ur gonna have a referacne and experiance.

HSC
nicollette said:
if your 15, but I can't believe they promoted you to supervisor at that age
I work at woolworths, and have a 15 year old supervisor. Its funny because she looks about 12, and customers complain about her. But on her merits, she's actually a good supervisor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)