Related Texts for Powerplay- Antony and Cleopatra (1 Viewer)

Bryce.Williams

HSC
Hello this is my first post. I am trying to think of related texts to Antony and Cleopatra and i am finding it hard as i dont have a clue of what to look for?:confused:

If someone could tell me what i should be looking for in a text it would be greatly appreciated:read: , anyway till then byebye:wave:

sophie1989

HSC
hey dude i rekon that the john marsden books can b a related text cause they are about power play in some aspects. I am doing this as well for module C. Particularly the ellie chronicles. SHould look into it, ill probably do it 4 mine.

zingerburger

HSC
What you have as your avatar looks good - Gladiator - that's one of my texts. Basically, you can try looking for any text that shows some sort of power struggle, usually between two parties, and where one party successfully uses a type of power to gain an advantage over another.

Bryce.Williams

HSC
Would any sort of power conflict be good or would one between 2 major powers be better as it is more related to the text Antony And Cleopatra???

Mrs Tahu

HSC
N/A
hey

i used hitler...u can relate hitler to cleopatra coz they both manipulated people into thier own schemes nd stuff. i used the film by Leni Riefenstahl called triumph of the will. its a reali good film that u can use to relate to power play. i used it in an assignment i had an i got reli high marks.

anyways good luck

Teddy Lee

HSC
Make sure it has something to do with politics. And "The People". And interesting relationships where power is a huge factor (think Winston and O'Brien). Of course not all your related texts will feature all these points equally as strong but that's why it's useful to find more than the bare minimun (at our school we're encouraged to find 4).

And don't forget.. POWERPLAY.

I'm doing 1984 but it's still powerplay so I hope this helps anyway.. best of luck.

Teddy Lee

HSC
Sorry I just realised how 1984-centred my answer was!!

If you take away the thing about Winston and O'Brien it should still be relatively useful..

haha sorry!!

Bryce.Williams

HSC
Actually it isnt that bad, i know who you are talking about, my teach went through that as well, dont know if ill use it though

Teddy Lee

HSC
Bryce.Williams said:
Actually it isnt that bad, i know who you are talking about, my teach went through that as well, dont know if ill use it though
You don't think you'll use my advice (which is perfectly fine :p) or not use 1984 as a related?

Because DO NOT use 1984 as a related.. People who study it as a prescribed text will show you up big time.

Bryce.Williams

HSC
Yea good point, i will most likely use gladiator and something else, as i can realate the power conflict between maximus and commodus to antony and ceasar. And the manipulative power of cleopatra to that of lucilla.
ow and abbey says hi.

2vague

HSC
hi,

im doing antony and cleopatra for my module c study also. (boring!)

im also having trouble finding related material.

i was wondering if anyone know any texts which includes both political and sexual powers.

one of the texts my teacher suggested was american president or something.,,

but yeah... thanks.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
i think some really good related texts would be "last king of scotland" or 'curse of the golden Flower" (which is the one i'm using)...

and also, in the syllabus thingy, it said explicitly that we have to use related texts that are about 'political powerplay' and 'power of the masses'.... NOTHING about sexual powerplay... and because of that, i have had to change one of my texts that was mainly on sexual powerplay....

so, if you're trying to find a related text, then make sure that it is mainly on political powerplay, if you want the best marks.

Molly07

HSC
I was thinking of doing animal farm, and my teacher said something about the movie Elizabeth, with Cate Blanchett.

The American President is a movie, not sure how it would go with powerplay though, I think it would be hard to get techniques out of it, but it probably would relate to antony and cleopatra quite well

cattle_7

cattle
HSC
hey,
i did it last year and while i dont remember exactly what i used ... look on the transcripts from andrew dentons show i got one off there, he usually airs this one interview sometime before the HSC... great to use

mattwillie

Awesomely Awesome.
HSC
I'm looking at Meet the Parents/Meet the Fockers (Jack Byrnes playing his power over Gaylord, Mr Jinx, Pamela, The Fockers and LJ) for a 'Tony and Pat' related material as well as using Animal Farm (Snowball and the other pigs playing power over all other animals and to some extent, the humans) by George Orwell (love that book).

My one problem though is I don't know whether i'll be able to do Meet the Parents and its sequel, as if they were one text. Does anyone know if i would be able to do that?

Thanks dudes.

amy236

HSC
mattwillie said:
I'm looking at Meet the Parents/Meet the Fockers (Jack Byrnes playing his power over Gaylord, Mr Jinx, Pamela, The Fockers and LJ) for a 'Tony and Pat' related material as well as using Animal Farm (Snowball and the other pigs playing power over all other animals and to some extent, the humans) by George Orwell (love that book).

My one problem though is I don't know whether i'll be able to do Meet the Parents and its sequel, as if they were one text. Does anyone know if i would be able to do that?

Thanks dudes.
your probably going to hate me for saying this, but i would steer clear of both of them.. they aren't exactly sophisticated, nor do they represent political power or power of the people.. try gladiator, a few good men... anything political really... sorry if i've just completely screwed your whole concept! (animal farm is good though!)

nonsense

HSC
amy236 said:
your probably going to hate me for saying this, but i would steer clear of both of them.. they aren't exactly sophisticated, nor do they represent political power or power of the people.. try gladiator, a few good men... anything political really... sorry if i've just completely screwed your whole concept! (animal farm is good though!)
animal farm is a good one. i have decided to use Antony and Cleopatra, Animal Farm and The Interview... my trial is tomoro. and i need to learn some things about a few of them so right now im studying up lol. bit stuck tho as i havnt read animal farm in like 3 years and threw all my notes from it away lol. searchin forums for some things about it.

mattwillie

Awesomely Awesome.
HSC
Yer ok thanks... i double checked with all the other english teachers and they agreed. one of them suggested to do A streetcar named desire.
I think for the hsc ill do:
  • Wag the dog
  • Lord of the flies or Animal farm
  • Streetcar named desire
Yer!?

Waza

HSC
hey guys, i agree with the bloke earlier, gladiator is the shot. it has a great representation of powerplay between the powerful general, maximus, and the roman emperor, commodus.

another good text is a poem called "schoolmistress" by clive sansom. google it, its worth it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)