Remembering ALL text? (1 Viewer)

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hello,
After speaking to the BOS Advise Line, they said the BOS can ask you to write on a particular text e.g. Fractals from the BOS pamphlet or 'A Valediction' in Donne etc ...

Who hear is REMEMBERING ALL of their texts?

I am finding it is impossible :-(

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by googy_1985
Hello,
After speaking to the BOS Advise Line, they said the BOS can ask you to write on a particular text e.g. Fractals from the BOS pamphlet or 'A Valediction' in Donne etc ...

Who hear is REMEMBERING ALL of their texts?

I am finding it is impossible :-(
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

That's sooooo unfair if your text dosn't fit with the BOS text.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
"Oh, F$^# it!!! I'm through with this HSC junk!! If you want me, you'll find me where the angels fly."
"Wait a minute, what are you doin'?"
"Don't stop me!"
"We shall stop you, you've gone krazy!"
*scuffle*

Zenithliza

Hmm... I talked to people at the advice line. They said that BOS can specify from your texts (like a Skryznecki poem for example) but the 'Changing' booklet actually states "atleast one text of your own choosing' so she said they can't specify from there, because you choose it, but she said learn two.

Arch-man

I've heard so many conflicting opinions on this, although I doubt they can ask a specific texts for change fromt he changing booklet, as it says one of your own choosing in booklet and the syllabus.

Although if they ask for a specific episode in Frontline or for Gwen Harwood, I'm gonna be royally boned.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
they so cannot do that.
The only thing Ive learnt from the stimulus booklet is Sky High.

mastermind

I've heard pretty much from everyone that:

1. For module texts (ie Donne etc) - they CAN specify a poem or whatever, so you kind of have to know all of them (cept i cant b bothered....:) )

2. For changing booklet, you choose which one you write about, BUT you should know at least 2 pretty well, to cover different types of questions

Nelly

So you're telling me that they can say: "Using Batter My Heart, and A Valedication Forbidden Mourning in your essay"

If they do that, it will be THE stupidest thing that the BOS has every done. I will go royally apes**t, and burn down BOS HQ.

They aint gonna do that, and if they do, i will get 0. Thats about it

Mr 24/7

Nope

They can specify everywhere except stimulus booklet remeber guy we are supposed to know everything:rolleyes:

owie

the essay question for change is a generalised question onm the whole topic of change...they cannot..no they will not specify on a specific poem by gwen harwood or any other part of another text.

60000 students will b sittin the exam (roughly) only a certain % will b doin harwood...others will b doin other texts...

and with the stimulus booklet...it is best 2 kno all of them..bcose it will hav 2 b our main support material for the question..
we should kno them all..but i could not be bothered..il learn only 2

changing booklet :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

:D :D :D

mastermind

Originally posted by owie
the essay question for change is a generalised question onm the whole topic of change...they cannot..no they will not specify on a specific poem by gwen harwood or any other part of another text.

60000 students will b sittin the exam (roughly) only a certain % will b doin harwood...others will b doin other texts...

Yeah, its true they probably wont specify because its only one question, and there's changing perspectives, self and world to cover, and not forgetting that the BOS prob couldnt be bothered either.

BUT, I think for speeches, Donne, Plath etc, its VERY possible for them to specify because eg Donne and Plath section - they can specify one poem for each and thats it - its not that hard for them - is it??

I dont know, but i would try to be prepared if possible.

Last edited:

SaveFerris

I've learnt the hard way to be prepared for them to specify a particular part of a text in the modules exam...for module B in our trial (Speeches elective) we got "...with reference to Abraham Lincoln's 'Government of the People, by the People, for the People'..." Yeah...that was annoying...

With change though, I share the opinion that its very unlikely they'll make specific reference to an individual prescribed text...I mean, how could they do it?

"blah blah blah...and if you're doing Harwood, please make reference to 'Mother Who Gave Me Life' and 'At Mornington'...everyone else, enjoy the marks you'll take from all the unprepared Harwood candidates...like SaveFerris...HAHAHAHA...love, Board of Studies."

Yeah, I'm REALLY hoping that doesn't happen (although it did in a dream of mine...) That being said, we could be caught out with a specified text from the Stimulus booklet (i.e. because we all get that).

Why can't this exam just be over already????

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll prolly say "fuck" really loudly if I get a specific text question
It jus defeats the purpose of learning a variety of texts if they only examine u on one
I'll b screwed for Donne if they ask me "talk about The Relique" coz ive gone for the easiest 4..and jus left the other 3....now i mite have to actually read up on them

tinility

screw that. if they specify that stupid old lady's poems im just gonna write about what i know grrrrrrrr it took me half a bloody year to bloody well elarn in the park, at mornington and father and child grrrrrrrrrr :chainsaw: *thinks about engles teacher* hmmmmmmm

Lauren :D

Fradam

Tall man
HSC
Hrmm. My Eng teacher said that if they ask on a specific poem, they will supply it as well. So as long as you understand the poems (meanings and language), you won't need to learn them all completely by heart.

mastermind

Originally posted by Fradam
Hrmm. My Eng teacher said that if they ask on a specific poem, they will supply it as well. So as long as you understand the poems (meanings and language), you won't need to learn them all completely by heart.
This is my opinion ONLY, so its probably not worth much, but I would say that they wouldn't give the poem to us in the exam because it is a prescribed text, and we are expected to know them and be able to write about them - just like in any other section about any other core texts.

But I certainly hope that I'm wrong if we are asked on a specific poem, cause otherwise im stuffed.......:(

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
they cant include the poem in the exam
look at the structure of last yr's paper, and all the trial papers u've seen

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
I'll b screwed for Donne if they ask me "talk about The Relique" coz ive gone for the easiest 4..and jus left the other 3....now i mite have to actually read up on them

you know 4 of the poems?!! ahh!! our teachers told us to learn 2!! (off by heart):uhoh:...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)