Republican Party Australian (1 Viewer)

Would u join my new Republican Party Of Aus. to finally make Australia independent???

• Yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
by what means will you dismiss her?

PoisonIvy

By what means etc

Okay weeeellll, firstly the getting into power thing, of course, which my masses of minions will help me with, and then the referendum and then the overwhelming majority in a majority of states voting 'YES' to a republic and then by that time she'd probably be dead ne way, so it'll be a piece of post colonial cake...it's not as though the royals have a future in Britain either...thank God for the progression of parliamentary democracy....ahhh don't we all love Whig history

Alexander

Gold Member
Yes, but what are you offering AFTER you've 'liberated' us from this oppressive tyrrant? or indeed what are you offering that other parties arent? I dont see how coming to power would help individuals decide to vote YES themselves,... hey, conscription was defeated twice...
Ive got the feeling you'd take on a similar role...wave, smile, turn up at dinners...not actually rule. Im not impressed with your alternative. At least offer the role to dame edna.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I would not join a Republican Party, but I would vote for a republic (not the republicans, liberals will get mine (assuming the election isnt till november)). Until then, it will have to be an outdated monarchy where leadership is somehow gained through birth.

ohne

HSC
Sorry you are too late, there is already a Republican Party of Australia. http://www.republicans.org.au/

The fact that you have not heard about this party is symbolic of the nieveity and bickering of Australian republicans . Get over it, Australians overwhelmingly rejected a republic less than 5 years ago, I doubt there has been a major change since then.

Mill

HSC
Originally posted by ohne
Sorry you are too late, there is already a Republican Party of Australia. http://www.republicans.org.au/

The fact that you have not heard about this party is symbolic of the nieveity and bickering of Australian republicans . Get over it, Australians overwhelmingly rejected a republic less than 5 years ago, I doubt there has been a major change since then.
I'm not sure where you were 5 years ago then, when the Australian people voted to keep the monarchy in a rather close vote. Perhaps you were in some sort of alternate universe.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Overwhelming? I do believe it was quite close
BTW, the vote was not on a republic, it was on a specific system which not many people agreed on. It was the proposed republican model which was defeated, not the idea of a republic itself.

Republic, Republic or Monarchy? Leaving aside, for the time being, the question on the preamble, the manner of asking the question on the republic was as disappointing as the result. It did not matter if the result was yes or no. Either answer would have been ambiguous. The rejection result has been hailed by monarchists as a majority preference for the monarchy. However, those who called for a no vote as a demonstration of dislike for the republican model on offer claim the credit for the public rejection of the question. The trouble is that no-one knows for certain which is the case. If the majority response had been yes, the arguments would have been equally strident over whether it indicated support for the principle of a republic or support for the model. We would have been equally uncertain. Republicans in Australia genuinely feel cheated by the whole process of the referendum and despite all the expense the nation has only returned to the uncertainty, speculation and wild claims that preceded the referendum. Few people in Australia, whatever their position in the debate, will deny that a new and better planned referendum is needed to settle the matter
http://www.churchandnation.pcnsw.org.au/Republic.pdf

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by Mill
I'm not sure where you were 5 years ago then, when the Australian people voted to keep the monarchy in a rather close vote. Perhaps you were in some sort of alternate universe.
If being defeated in every state and territory bar one and losing by hundredsof thousands of votes is close, I would love to know what you regard as unclose.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Originally posted by ohne
If being defeated in every state and territory bar one and losing by hundredsof thousands of votes is close, I would love to know what you regard as unclose.
Hundreds of voters. Lets think about how many elligible voters there are in the Australian population, shall we? How is hundreds a big number in this context??

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by Josie
Hundreds of voters. Lets think about how many elligible voters there are in the Australian population, shall we? How is hundreds a big number in this context??
Did I type hundreds, or hundreds of thousands?

Mill

HSC
Seeing as it was about 5 years ago and I didn't really care then and I don't really care now, I don't recall the specific states, BUT one eastern state voted for the republic and two more were something like 50.1% to 49.9%, and IIRC, if those 2 states had been in favour, the republic would have been in.

Then add to the fact that there were a lot of people voting for monarchy as they did not like the SPECIFIC republican model proposed, rather than being opposed to the GENERAL idae of a republic, as raised above, and it becomes further clear that Australians on the whole are not all that opposed to a republic, and in fact, it's pretty much 50/50, with it possibly going either way.

You seem to be a fan of monarchy, which is why you so clearly wish to harp incorrectly on the republic being such a terrible idea. Try looking at it from a standpoint that isn't biased.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
I'll Will definately vote for a republic, lets just say I'm shollow and the queen has passed her prime :p

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
What would your policies be? If they in anyway resemble the American Republicans', I would most definitely not :p

Alexander

Gold Member
Ya know, ya think you've got somewhere in an argument, but then a new batch of neo-dark-ageons turn up, so we can repeat the circle of endless debate, simba.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)