Retreat from the Global (1 Viewer)

retrowoman

HSC
man am i glad to never see the words 'retreat from the global' written on an exam paper EVER again!!! he he im just so glad ist over, my hand was throbbing by the end....

its a damn shame we have to return our shipping news copy to the library and we cant burn it!!

what did everyone write in the creative section, i thought the questions were really easy....

diddle_97

HSC
the question itself

hey guys, didn't do the paper this year but i'm interested in knowing the question. If someone could please type it up, that'd be great

thanks

Revolution

HSC
In the creative, I wrote it as a journal entry, that the guy was a farmer returning to the city because he couldn't run his farm anymore because of the drought in NSW... in essence, how the global (city) eventually becomes the only choice, and in reality there is no "fairytale" ending for individuals, a la in The Castle.

devious_lisa

HSC
retrowoman said:
man am i glad to never see the words 'retreat from the global' written on an exam paper EVER again!!! he he im just so glad ist over, my hand was throbbing by the end....

its a damn shame we have to return our shipping news copy to the library and we cant burn it!!

what did everyone write in the creative section, i thought the questions were really easy....
tell me about it!!!!
i would so have liked to burn it!!

devious_lisa

HSC
Revolution said:
In the creative, I wrote it as a journal entry, that the guy was a farmer returning to the city because he couldn't run his farm anymore because of the drought in NSW... in essence, how the global (city) eventually becomes the only choice, and in reality there is no "fairytale" ending for individuals, a la in The Castle.
i did a journal entry too with a newspaper clipping at the end, but its to me pretty cliched so yeh, dats the down side!!! =/

devious_lisa

HSC
l-mercedes-l said:
Yukk... the creative was a bit scary. i dont think mine had any relevence to globalisation but oh well... its so over now

Who else wrote the last english essay of thier life today!!!!!! [and by that i mean LIFE]
MEEH!!!!
I DID!!!!

devious_lisa

HSC
i thought the essay was a bit wierd tho......i found it hard to try to integrate the source with wot u tryin to say, i did it, but i doubt i did it effectively wot u guys think about it?

got_ur_69

HSC
i crapped on about a stroy forgetting it had to b somethin about retreating from the global... so i quickly put on my talented extn english hat and made up that some dude was writing a story about a egocentric city guy

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
devious_lisa said:
i thought the essay was a bit wierd tho......i found it hard to try to integrate the source with wot u tryin to say, i did it, but i doubt i did it effectively wot u guys think about it?
it was hard because then u had to talk about 5 texts in a way so it was a bit harder to get it written in the time.

It was sorta hard to integrate b ut the statement itself was very general.

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
got_ur_69 said:
i crapped on about a stroy forgetting it had to b somethin about retreating from the global... so i quickly put on my talented extn english hat and made up that some dude was writing a story about a egocentric city guy
Thats clever. i just kinda figured that they should know its rftg due to the fact i wrote it next to the question number. it will take som extreme 'implied knowledge' to make it about RFTG

but who cares anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENGLISH IS OVER

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
i just changed one of my characters into this old guy, and he was sort of diary entrying.. lol.. for the essay i just analysed the quote/text thing, so i had to discuss 5 texts, which sort of mucked up the length of each other analysis, bit rushed towards the end.. ahh well.. no more english for good!!

amy rose

diddle_97 said:
hey guys, didn't do the paper this year but i'm interested in knowing the question. If someone could please type it up, that'd be great

thanks
sure thing....i can't believe you're still interested a year later, you must really enjoy english! YAY ENGLISH IS OVER YAYA YAY so seeings as im in such a good mood ill type the questions up for you:

CREATIVE: They gave us an image of this guy who went to antartica (!?correct me if im wrong...) sitting in what appears to be a shed, writing. Then it said:

"Incorporate the provided text as a significant moment in a piece of imaginative writing that explores and expresses ways of thinking in the elective you have studied. In your response, draw on your knowledge and understanding of the elective you studied in Module B."

ANALYTICAL:Said a quote of an imaginaed composer which i cant be bothered t type, basically a general statement concering globalisation etc...Then it said:

"The provided text reveals an imagined composer's thoughts. Evaluate the extent to which these thoughts express ways of thinking in this elective, and how these ways of thinking are shaped in texts. In your response, refer to the provided text AND TWO prescribed texts AND other texts of your own choosing."

darkwarrior2

HSC
hehe

retrowoman said:

i neva read shipping news haha, seamus heaney + LSGOB ftw (didnt read lsgob either, just the texts i wrote about)

robo3687

Tired
HSC
my creative was possibly the saddest thing i've ever written...really...and thats not because of the quality of it...it was what i was writing...

this guy had been drinking and had quit his job and his wife wasn't happy so they had this big argument and he kept going on about the good life without money that he had planned for the family and how his wife just couldn't see it...she couldn't see that they didn't need money to be happy

she tried to hit him and he hit her then threw a vase at her and knocked her out...he dragged her to their room and as he was dragging her he was saying stuff like "you just didn't understand...you just couldn't see" then when he gets the gun and fires it, he keeps saying "we could have been happy"....

then once thats over he goes outside and his children have gotten up and they ask if mummy is ok...he says she is but she just has a headache (hiding the gun at this point) and that the bang they heard was him dropping something....when they finally go to bed he considers doing them over briefly as well but can't bring himself to do it...

he then goes to the kitchen and makes the kids lunches and packs their bags for school the next day and leaves a note for them saying "daddy had to leave early and mummy is resting so i got ur stuff ready for school"...

he then goes out to his shed (as per the picture) and writes the last page in a book he's been writing...he goes on about the life they could have had and apologises to the kids and tells them that "mummy and daddy both love you and we are sorry we couldn't give you the lives u deserved" and stuff like that.....he then realises that he will meet his wife after death and they will have the life he had hoped for after all

last thing is gunshot being heard and birds flying up into the ever blackening sky......

so as you can see its fairly bloody warped.....i've got no idea where it came from....all my planning notes said were

"argument with wife over money" and
"get him to be writing in the shed"

and there u have it......

lol

Luthien

Somewhere in the wilderness of my crazy mind
HSC
I rather liked the essay question, easy to incorporate into The Castle, The Shipping News and my related texts.

Ahh creative writing isn't my strongest point ( i kind of lack that creative gene :p ) but i wrote a journal entry (seems a popular form) from the perspective of someone from the city spending a month in an Amish community - one of the texts we studied in class was "The Budget" which is an Amish newspaper.

And i agree i wish we could burn our Shipping News books rather than return them, i really disliked that book - well it was good for the elective but thats it! lol

canadian_123

hey guys just wondering....

1. did people make the picture into a 'significant' moment?

2. did you talk about the provided text as an actual text? or just passing reference?

yay! finished!

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
1. i used it as a starting point, because my story changed into a person writing a monologue sort of thing, reflecting on a 'significant' moment in life.. *shrug

2. i used it as an actual text as well as passing reference it when in my connections back to the thesis after each text

Revolution

HSC
canadian_123 said:
hey guys just wondering....

1. did people make the picture into a 'significant' moment?
Yes, sort of. I used the picture as though it was the last time the guy would be spending in that room, since he was going to be moving away.
2. did you talk about the provided text as an actual text? or just passing reference?
More a passing reference, really. It wasn't substanital enough to be counted as a full "text", I thought. I mentioned and referenced it a few times in my essay.

MaryJ_

HSC
I wrote a speech that was presented by someone from a 'retreat' centre, encouraging people to find their happy place. I had the picture projected onto a screen as part of a slideshow, while the presenter spoke about how much his retreat impacted his daily life. I hope it goes down well, because my poor wrist went through a lot of pain to get it all down. I'm sure you can all relate :D. Somehow it makes me feel better that you're all in pain too :p

I thought that the essay question was great, well much better than the practice questions I'd been looking at. Oh well, it's all in the hands of the markers now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)