Review of english extension 1 in year 11? (1 Viewer)

periodmami

HSC
How did everyone go?

Is it hard but still enjoyable??

Need help as I choose it for next year and I maintain over 95% in English at the moment.

Just need some help, does it scale well?

Kangaaroo

HSC
N/A
If you're achieving those marks in English then it would definitely be in your interest to do extension.

I did extension for two terms and dropped it at the start of this term. I did this for a couple reasons, but mainly because I really disliked my teacher, I found the content to be pretty dry and I didn't think I would be able to keep up with the workload especially leading in to prelims. But that's just how I felt, you may have a completely different experience. Definitely give it a go, and if you don't like it you can always drop it like I did.

lolzdj

HSC
I did Extension English in Year 11. It was definitely my one 'bludge' unit; all my assessment tasks (incl. prelims, didn't prepare essay or creative) were in the 80-85% range, and done at the last minute. Given everything else you have to go through & complete in year 11, the subject is taxing, and you will for sure find yourself overlooking it - especially around your exam period.

Extension English aims to extend your understanding of a text (or myth/idea) by considering context -- i.e. written around WWI, very pessimistic and droll. The best way to describe it would be this: in normal (advanced or yr. 10) classes, you may have had sophisticated, intertwining ideas that were interesting, but not realistic to place into any body of work. A higher word count in Extension means (with many revisions) you may be able to discuss these ideas in your critical & creative works. This is not to say that you need sophistication to do well. Anyone that's done senior English will tell you dismantle that myth.Those that did best in the course (we had two classes) achieved mastery over the fundamentals, being able to deliver a near-flawless, relatively forumlaic response that displayed not only their passion for the topic, but also the many hours spent researching & interlinking their ideas. These skills are built over the course of the year through the various responses your teacher may prescribe.

Anyways, I dropped it for 4u math :p Good luck on your endeavours.

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Again, depends on the school. You need to ask your teachers for the exact requirements, but obviously you need to demonstrate some capability of completing the course.
done at the last minute. Given everything else you have to go through & complete in year 11, the subject is taxing, and you will for sure find yourself overlooking it - especially around your exam period.

Extension English aims to extend your understanding of a text (or myth/idea) by considering context -- i.e. written around WWI, very pessimistic and droll. The best way to describe it would be this: in normal (advanced or yr. 10) classes, you may have had sophisticated, intertwining ideas that were interesting, but not realistic to place into any body of work. A higher word count in Extension means (with many revisions) you may be able to discuss these ideas in your critical & creative works. Thi
AGreed in english ext 1, context is key for ext.

There is more discussion with context, you can't just say the same mumbo jumbo style like you did for advanced. You have to be more 'conceptual' and contextual with your arguments. Unlike adv, you can contrast your related texts which makes what you say less repetitive. Also it is a lot of work for one unit.

For the multimodal, you need to compare like 3-4 text. and the yearly is 2 core text and 2 related text....so make sure you can write alot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)