Risiko fuer weihnachtsmaenner! (1 Viewer)

corsalui

HSC
Hi everyone,

Ok so my German extension trial is tomorrow and my class (there are four of us) are ALL unsure of the Weihnachtsmaenner short story.

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help decipher the meaning of the story. None of us understand the meaning and what happens at the end!!!

Please, information would be much appreciated!!!

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
well there's a lot to talk about, but VERY briefly it's about a man who has been to war and been tormented by his experience there. he comes back and finds a part time job as a Santa. on his job as Santa, he meets his 'Oberst' from when he was at war, and we find out what happened there, and the reason to why both the Oberst and the Santa have been affected.

hope that helps abit!

maloy2222

HSC
I know what you mean, the ending is very unclear. The reader isnt exactly shown whether the oberst recognises the santa, but it's very clear that he was affected by the war. I think part of the point of the story is this ambiguous communication between the oberst and santa- it can be interpreted in two different ways.
1. The oberst recognises the santa and is lamenting/regretting his role in the war (and his decision to lead that guy to get hurt) or at least the violence of it
2. the oberst doesnt recognise the man in the santa suit, but instead is reminded every year of the war when the santa comes with presents and so he brings it up then
in terms of the actual ending, i dont have my copy of the story here, but from what i remember the santa finishes with "the risk is too large". Im not entirely sure myself but im thinking the guy is really screwed up since the war emotionally and so he cant continue his job with the santa company because any reminder of this experience leads to some kind of harm and emotional scarring.
its confusing... hope this helped and answers ur question somewhat :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)