Road to the Bar (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey everyone, I understand the role of barristers as sole practitioners but I'm a bit vague on the career path from uni student to the bar.

I've looked up a number of judges/QC's/notable barrister's profiles but often there is an absence of information on their early days despite academic achievements.

A few questions:
- Obviously it's not advisable to go straight to the bar fresh out of uni - if one is looking to go to the bar in the future what sort of firm should they be looking to join? (small, boutique, mid, top tier etc) I imagine top tier firms would be rather inflexible.

- During the early days should their be an emphasis on acting as an advocate in the local court for experience, a purely office position or a mixture of both?

- The DPP also appoints barristers. Are these appointed individuals who recieve a salary or their entire workload specifically from the DPP or are barristers just selected where their skills are needed?

- Are there many job opportunities for barristers? do positions tend to be as competitive as top tier graduates and partnerships?

I realise I'm first year and these things are a long way off, but it would be great to hear some info about something other than legal researchers or working at top tier firms (*snore*).

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Email the Bar association. I'd bet they'd be enthusiastic to talk to you, considering (here, at least) how much being a barrister is ignored as a viable option after uni.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
- Are there many job opportunities for barristers? do positions tend to be as competitive as top tier graduates and partnerships?
Depends what you want to practise in and where you want to practise it. Personal injury is a pretty closed field at the moment and demand for barristers in family law appears to be closing up steadily. I think that as of this month estates law will be nipped in the bud too, much like personal injury was in 2001 (read up on the amendments which recently came into effect).

As to where you practice, there are of course fewer opportunities for a barrister in rural Australia than there are in built up areas. On the other side of the coin, if you want to get a readership somewhere like 10th floor Wentworth chambers then you better have a crapload of good connections and be exceptionally good at what you do to stand a chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)