• Best of luck to the class of 2021 for their HSC exams. You can do it!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rugby League World Cup 2008 (1 Viewer)

frontman

Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
40
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
Terlob said:
]No. Track and Field and Swimming both achieve large amounts of coverage an sponsorship, even if not to the extent that soccer does.
Swimming - no way in hell. Swimming is a minority sport in most countries - as is athletics. In fact in Global Sport Sponsorship John Amis writes "it would be an overstatement to suggest swimming to have the global recognition of sports such as soccer and basketball." American sports get larger sponsorship deals than athletics and swimming. The same book states that while athletics has a truly global spread, it no where near rivals "the spectator and participant base" of soccer or major American sports.

Again, soccer would be the biggest global team sport but others, such as basketball and possibly field hockey, are played at competition level in most countries
Field Hockey has similar numbers to rugby union for countries playing - and again I would suggest that countries played does not equal global e.g. the participant and spectator numbers for both sports are smaller than the American football. Basketball is in the best position to become the next "global" sport. It is expanding rapidly in Asia and is a major player in China, challenging soccer's position. Though in Asia, Aftrica and South America the sport ranges from being No. 2 to being nonexistant in different regions, where in some parts the sport has gone backwards in recognition since the Michael Jordan era.
 

frontman

Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
40
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
Fiji and Samoa will win their respective pools and then it'll probably Samoa who will take on Australia in the first semi.

France was really disappointing yesterday. I honestly thought they would be the next best team after the big 3 in the tournament, but they were completely decimated by what was pretty much a few NRL players and a bunch of amatuers.
 

wuddie

Black by Demand
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
1,386
Location
right here, can't you see?
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
billy slater put on a show last night. how freakish was it when he ran on to a short ball from hunt and just sprinted 95m. all the melb boys' acceleration is just amazing. cannot see any team come close to aust at present.
 

Izzay

Wassup MTV
Joined
Dec 28, 2007
Messages
943
Location
The Wenger Bus
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
Terlob said:
No. Track and Field and Swimming both achieve large amounts of coverage an sponsorship, even if not to the extent that soccer does.

Again, soccer would be the biggest global team sport but others, such as basketball and possibly field hockey, are played at competition level in most countries.
Soccer is without doubt the biggest sport, team or individual, that there is

you only have to look at the english premier league for coverage and sponsorship.

and then there is the FIFA world cup...:D
 

wuddie

Black by Demand
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
1,386
Location
right here, can't you see?
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
Exphate said:
Wasn't it Inglis who put that ball on?
could have been, not too sure.

willie mason got roasted last year when he snickered during the haka. but what about ast night? the poms refused to show the slightest of respect, turned their backs on the haka, even tho the kiwis treaded across the field and was literally meters away from the huddle. individuals may swear at the refs and touchies out of the spur of the moment, but that is got to be the most disgraceful display as a collective i've ever seen in my life. thanks god they got caned by the kiwis. once again, the poms have proved to the world what kind of worthless arrogant waste of time they truly are. bravo.
 

Mozza91

Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
373
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
Good game last night England's defence was shit three of Vatuvai's tries came from a second man play then a cut out pass they did it all night and England never cottoned on.
It's like they don't even have a basic knowledge of the game you always stay on your man.
Issac Luke was great again and should definalty be starting ahead of Lueluai
 

bheck7

Don't shoot the messenger
Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Messages
122
Location
In a shoe
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
i watched fiji v france at win stadium the other week. there were 9000 people there and sounded like a capacity crowd, it was amazing. mind you, thats probably because the only capacity game i went to was dragons v sharks and the sharks won. I so so so hope fiji beat australia this weekend, it'd be classic.
 
Last edited:

frontman

Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
40
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
Mozza91 said:
Good game last night England's defence was shit three of Vatuvai's tries came from a second man play then a cut out pass they did it all night and England never cottoned on.
It's like they don't even have a basic knowledge of the game you always stay on your man.
Issac Luke was great again and should definalty be starting ahead of Lueluai

Kearney isn't putting Luke on the starting side again and he's left Inu out altogether.
 

Mozza91

Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
373
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
frontman said:
Kearney isn't putting Luke on the starting side again and he's left Inu out altogether.
It's because he has no idea what he's doing Luke is their best and then daylight till the next player
 

boris

Banned
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
4,671
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
bheck7 said:
i watched fiji v france at win stadium the other week. there were 9000 people there and sounded like a capacity crowd, it was amazing. mind you, thats probably because the only capacity game i went to was dragons v sharks and the sharks won. I so so so hope fiji beat australia this weekend, it'd be classic.
Lol no league match in the world comes close to a regular afl match. Which in turn doesn't come close to a regular epl match.
 

Mozza91

Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
373
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
boris said:
Lol no league match in the world comes close to a regular afl match. Which in turn doesn't come close to a regular epl match.
Piss off AFL is for softcocks what is entertaining about 40 people continuosly dropping the ball and jumping on top of each other it just looks like a complete clusterfuck
 

bheck7

Don't shoot the messenger
Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Messages
122
Location
In a shoe
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
boris said:
Lol no league match in the world comes close to a regular afl match. Which in turn doesn't come close to a regular epl match.
oh well isn't AFL just so fabulous then! your point, please?
 

boris

Banned
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
4,671
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
My point is that you were going on about 9000 people at an international league match and how it was amazing lol it was fucking pus. We got more than that to the group 11 grand final last year. Afl gets 80k+ to regular season matches. That is amazing.

Mozza91, we've established that you're a fag who knows nothing about league or afl in the which sport is better thread.
 

withoutaface

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2004
Messages
15,101
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
Fiji v Aus last night, the crowd was tiny (15,000) and the Fijian fans were louder than the Australian ones. Further, nobody bought B-Reserve seats so all the C-Reserve people ended up taking those up, so probably should've charged less for tickets.
 

withoutaface

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2004
Messages
15,101
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
Mozza91 said:
Piss off AFL is for softcocks what is entertaining about 40 people continuosly dropping the ball and jumping on top of each other it just looks like a complete clusterfuck
Dude that's league as well.
 

Mozza91

Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
373
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
boris said:
Mozza91, we've established that you're a fag who knows nothing about league or afl in the which sport is better thread.
I know more about Rugby League then you or anyone else on this forum don't question my knowledge on a game that you know nothing about
 
Last edited:

boris

Banned
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
4,671
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
lol im sure you do you fucking spacktard. I reckon i'v played more years of it than you have you wanker.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top