Ruse or Private School for Med? (1 Viewer)

yodela123

HSC
Hey, I'm currently a student in Ruse and I'm considering moving to a top 10-20 private school.
I've heard that 30 is the limit from each school for UNSW Med and that made me think if I rank 31st at Ruse I wouldn't be able to get in, whereas if I go to the private school I may have a better chance.
Private schools generally have more resources and opportunities that will look better for your profile and will make you stand out from the rest?
I'm not sure what to do so please give me some advice, thanks

Accurate

clix
HSC
I'd say probably move to another lower ranked selective if you're that determined for med. No point wasting money for a private school.

idkkdi

HSC
Hey, I'm currently a student in Ruse and I'm considering moving to a top 10-20 private school.
I've heard that 30 is the limit from each school for UNSW Med and that made me think if I rank 31st at Ruse I wouldn't be able to get in, whereas if I go to the private school I may have a better chance.
Private schools generally have more resources and opportunities that will look better for your profile and will make you stand out from the rest?
I'm not sure what to do so please give me some advice, thanks
If you are internally motivated, it could work.

2. Make sure you are able to get used to going from 95% Asian to 95% Caucasian.

quickoats

HSC
Not sure how official this ‘limit’ is, but if your UCAT, ATAR, and interviews are all exceptional (as they should be for medical entrance), they wouldn’t NOT admit you just because you went to James Ruse.

I haven’t seen anything in writing making this limit official - maybe someone looked at past UMAT/ATAR combinations and saw that some people missed out with adequate marks if they weren’t up the top at Ruse? This could be due to many factors such as interviews, spots filling up due to rural/regional/EAS quotas.

The transition between schools can be tough and may have a negative effect on your results. It also might make it hard to continue leadership/extra curricular activities since you don’t really have a lot of connection to a new school community - this might not be a great thing for medical school interviews where you’re expected to be sort of an all rounder.

Keep in mind that UNSW is not the only undergraduate medical school in the Sydney region, and that the degree does not play a role in finding a job - the BMedSt MD is considered equivalent to MBBS or MBChB or BClinSc MD from whatever Australian uni. Also remember that the prestige of the uni plays little to no factor in opportunities - in fact, medical internships in NSW are lottery based if I recall.

Good luck on your future studies, and good luck with making a well informed decision for your senior years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)