Safe Dance - Splits and stuff.. (1 Viewer)

sparkle66

HSC
I'm wanting to put things like splits, crawl throughs, mounts, etc. into my composition and performance dances but my teacher keeps telling me that it's 'unsafe' dance and I'll get marked down for it. Is this true?
I do dance by distant ed so I dont really have a full time teacher to find everything out from.
I dont understand why being flexible could be unsafe in a dance...

beksta

HSC
N/A
There are a couple of issues here.

Firstly composition is about the communication of an idea/message/intent and it needs to be a clear communication. Really have a think about how things like the splits and mounts convey a message.. other than "my dancer is flexible".

Secondly the movements you list can potentially be very dangerous, especially if your dancer cant do them or cant do them properly... So the unwritten rule is that they dont go in to the exam.

Hope this helps

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Yes. Technically it could be considered unsafe dance.
Like Beksta said, it's not about showing how technically proficent your dancer is. If you suddenly had to change dancers and they for instance couldn't do the splits, and they tried- thinking they could do it, and split a hammy.
Unsafe? I think so.
NEVER ever go along with the 'Oh, nothing will happen' because there's always little mishaps, and if worse comes to worst, for instance you had to change dancers etc- it would be bloody hard to change a dance in a short period of time, still conveying your concept/intent.

Remember, it's about expression. It's not about technique, your composition will show how creative you are, and how you relate your Concept/intent to movement and the music.
Don't go for show, because I can guarantee it won't get you a higher mark.

Listen to your dance teacher.
She knows what's she's talking about!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)