Scaling: what is it all about? (1 Viewer)

taeyang

HSC
Can anyone please enlighten me about the process of scaling, and I mean from the very very basics;

for example, what happens to my raw assessment mark? what has rank got to do with it? what bout school rank?

But most importantly, what happens to my HSC raw mark?

I have heard from multiple sources about the end result of HSC and how their marks got to that stage. But I am finding it really difficult to believe that a lot of students can get 95+ ATAR's ! it boggles my mind.

So, can some one please shed some light on the whole scenario, and if I am in the wrong thinking getting 95+ is extremely hard. THANKS :D

JennaJameson

Swollen Member
HSC
hsc is made up of 50% assessment mark and 50% external mark, ur assessment mark is moderated according to ur cohort's external marks, simply put, higher ranks get higher assessment mark, lower ranks get lower marks, external mark doesn't change

ur hsc mark changes twice, firstly by BOS and then by UAC in calculating ATAR

BOS does moderation, just to make it more fair e.g. is a 90% raw in general maths equal to 90% raw in 4u maths? obviously no, they are moderated so it becomes like moderated 70% in general and 100% in 4u, even though both have 90% raw, they then send these marks to UAC

UAC does scaling, this is pretty much the same thing as what BOS does but they just put different weightings, UAC are the ones who calculate your ATAR

both are soulless bastards

muzeikchun852

HSC
for example, what happens to my raw assessment mark? what has rank got to do with it? what bout school rank?
your raw assessment mark will be ignored in some extent. the BOS looks at the highest and lowest external mark in certain subject and give it to the person who got 1st and last in the internal. after that, they look the gaps between ranks and give a suitable mark for people in between. so even though the school gives easy assessment task, there wont be a problem because it will depend on your external.

you raw mark would get aligned and scaled, without the process above.

I have heard from multiple sources about the end result of HSC and how their marks got to that stage.
in some extent, yes.

tambam

HSC
ATAR is a rank of you compared to the rest of the state. So 95+ agar means you are better than 95% of the state. You can decide for yourself if that's difficult or not...

muzeikchun852

HSC
ATAR is a rank of you compared to the rest of the state. So 95+ agar means you are better than 95% of the state. You can decide for yourself if that's difficult or not...
is it ? i havent heard about that.

enoilgam

HSC
It means your better than 95% of your year 7 cohort. With regards to how difficult it is to get 95, it really depends on the person.

tambam

HSC
is it ? i havent heard about that.
Yepp, that's why its now impossible to get 100, because apparently its not possible to be better than 100% of the state, so instead you can only be better than 99.95%

JennaJameson

Swollen Member
HSC
Yepp, that's why its now impossible to get 100, because apparently its not possible to be better than 100% of the state, so instead you can only be better than 99.95%
he was being sarcastic because you were simply stating the obvious and not adding anything of value to this thread

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Can anyone please enlighten me about the process of scaling, and I mean from the very very basics;

I have heard from multiple sources about the end result of HSC and how their marks got to that stage. But I am finding it really difficult to believe that a lot of students can get 95+ ATAR's ! it boggles my mind.So, can some one please shed some light on the whole scenario, and if I am in the wrong thinking getting 95+ is extremely hard. THANKS :D
Well 5% of the state get 95+ since its a rank/percentile. So since about 60,000 people do the HSC about 3,000 people get 95+ each year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)