Scaling (1 Viewer)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
So lets say for example three people are doing Human Biology. Let say one does BIOL1003, another BIOL1903 and a third does the SSP. Lets say they all get a raw mark of 64. How does the scaling go from there

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
I know BIOL1903 has an extra report compared to BIOL1003 but otherwise the same, think BIOL1993 (the SSP) has a few different assessments. Hence why Im confused how they do it.

bangladesh

HSC
who cares, just do your best. I've heard there's no scaling for bio/chem this year so yea

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
who cares, just do your best. I've heard there's no scaling for bio/chem this year so yea
just something i was wondering about. because on one hand if all three got the same mark they got the same mark on the other some were doing harder courses than others.

No scaling? Thats brutal!!!1 where was that heard?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
just something i was wondering about. because on one hand if all three got the same mark they got the same mark on the other some were doing harder courses than others.

No scaling? Thats brutal!!!1 where was that heard?
From the staff.

You should be glad that biology doesn't scale - I'm pretty sure that in the past, it scaled down...a lot.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Ooo. Well thats good! Does psychology tend to scale up or down? Know that definitely scales.
And I thought chemistry scaled up?

bangladesh

HSC
Ooo. Well thats good! Does psychology tend to scale up or down? Know that definitely scales.
And I thought chemistry scaled up?
lol pysch and chem don't scale either. Atm, the only subjects that MIGHT scale are physics and maths.

have fun studying xo

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
lol pysch and chem don't scale either. Atm, the only subjects that MIGHT scale are physics and maths.

have fun studying xo
My tutor spent chunks of my last tutorial mentioning scaling.
And chem well theres no way I did as well as I did when I battled through the exam. (both semesters).... either that or im a lot better at chemistry than i thought. i thought the better marks than what i expected was scaling.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

have fun studying xo
Physics have a common section for a reason, so I'm saying there's some sort of scaling going on.

Daniel Daners also told the SSP maths class there is still comparison between advanced/regular, so some sort of scaling there too.

antheung

HSC
N/A
Physics have a common section for a reason, so I'm saying there's some sort of scaling going on.

Daniel Daners also told the SSP maths class there is still comparison between advanced/regular, so some sort of scaling there too.
Is scaling only applied to units of study that have a normal version and an advanced version which have a significant overlap in terms of content and assessments?

Like, take the following 2nd year maths units of study as examples:

1. MATH2069/MATH2969 (Discrete Mathematics and Graph Theory). The normal and advanced versions seem to have quite a significant amount of overlapping content - the only difference is that the advanced class has more challenging problems. So are students in the normal class expected to get better marks in order to get the same grade that students in the advanced class get?

2. MATH2061/MATH2961 (Linear Mathematics and Vector Calculus). The normal and advanced versions have totally different assessments and the material covered is very different, like the normal class focuses more on applications and calculations while the advanced class focuses a lot more on conceptual problems and proofs. So how is scaling (if any) supposed to work?

3. MATH2962 (Real and Complex Analysis) / MATH2968 (Algebra). These two units of study have no "normal" counterpart. So how is scaling applied in this case, when there is only one version of the unit of study?

Incidentally, I heard from Leon Poladian that starting from this year the school wouldn't be able to scale students' marks, so students really needed 50 marks overall to pass the unit of study. But he's teaching MATH2061 and MATH3063 this semester, so I was wondering if he meant only 3rd year units of study can't be scaled?

bangladesh

HSC
My tutor spent chunks of my last tutorial mentioning scaling.
And chem well theres no way I did as well as I did when I battled through the exam. (both semesters).... either that or im a lot better at chemistry than i thought. i thought the better marks than what i expected was scaling.
lol, well i'm pretty sure it doesn't scale so your tutor must've been talking shit for chunks of your last tutorial. They're taking away scaling as of this year.

antheung

HSC
N/A
lol, well i'm pretty sure it doesn't scale so your tutor must've been talking shit for chunks of your last tutorial. They're taking away scaling as of this year.
If there's no more scaling, are there any benefits of doing advanced classes instead of normal ones?

Lina3

HSC
Yes,I've heard that there is no scaling...but I cannot understand how they can just abandon scaling altogether. Don't they want to maintain a bell curve. What about the WAM? Does that mean that has to be replaced as well?

bangladesh

HSC
If there's no more scaling, are there any benefits of doing advanced classes instead of normal ones?
According to the academic i spoke to, doing advanced units are better because it says (advanced)/(SSP) on your academic transcript and therefor you're better off with it (which is bs if u ask me but ye)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)