Scalling really shit (1 Viewer)

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Did u gus know that business is scaled really badly?
I used the lazseeker HSC UAI Caluculator and i was really dissappointed :( If i knew i was gonna be that shit, i wouldnt have chosen the subject

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
i aint tellin u! i'm askin u! :p

"isn't the scaling different every yr?"

see thats a Q..

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Of course there are going to be minor differences every year.

There are trends, however; Maths Ext 2 hasn't been scaled down since 1989. Although such a trend for Business Studies may not be quite as definite, a trend does exist. Typically it's been a fairly 'average' course when it comes to scaling.

There's a list on the LazSeeker site giving the order in which courses were scaled for 2001; I think I might make up similar lists for previous years so that comparisons are possible.

Morgues

What about new courses like IPT?
They got scaled down last year so is it almost definite the same will happen this yeaR?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
With new courses... it's difficult to tell.

Although IPT is essentially the same as the old 2u/3u Computing Studies (Common) course, so you can use that as a guide.

For something completely new, such as History Extension... well, you can't really tell. It should be reasonably similar. But it's like trying to come up with a scientific principle based on a single event. It won't come close to being 'sound' until you've observed it several times.

edit:
And, well, I just realised that there used to be 3u history courses... but the above would apply for any course that truly was completely new.

jenster

look guys business is scaled down because it's shit. serioiusly. it's striaght forward and all you need to do is get a study guide and remember what it says.

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
haha..
well i dont even do business studies so i dont really care.. but i was jus curious abt the scaling thing.
but yeah i like how ur str8 4ward jenster haha..

tweakin

business studies is NOT straight forward.
there is a shit load of work and you do really need to know ur stuff to get good marks.

ben

Originally posted by tweakin
business studies is NOT straight forward.
there is a shit load of work and you do really need to know ur stuff to get good marks.
I agree, I don't find Business studies easy. Now I feel really dumb
:( :(

Morgues

An easy subject is something you can get good marks in without any work, for how many subjects is that true in the hsc?

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
all the vet courses!

esp retail!

but the down side is u get scaled down....down down! unless u get like 100% of course..

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
I just did the last assesment until the Trials (extended response).
I hope a nail this one, coz i screwed up my last assesment (11/25).

I left out 2 sections: management theories (thats a pain in the ass that chapter), and management skills.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The highest mark for Retail last year was 89, and even that was scaled down to 85.6 :p

Don't do VET courses if you're dying for a high UAI.

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
really??

i'm doin retail...its a real bludge! haha
but i do 6 subjects.. so it shud b cool :)

vik

so biz get scaled real shit ha? DAM!!! wat a waste of my time..

but, how come my teachers go that these scaling dun occur nemore???

she goes the sub r all the same.. none gets scaled up or down??

so wats goin on???

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
vik - your teacher is wrong. What she meant to say is that the Board no longer forces course marks to conform to a predetermined distribution (i.e. the bell curve).

Exam marks are still aligned, assessment marks are still moderated and HSC marks are still scaled.

sharlene84

hi

well i find business studies hard to understand. our teacher said it was becasue the top students found it easy to understand becasue they do advanced english and advanced maths and maths extension while i do general maths and standered english so all in all i'm pretty dumb so i guess that explains why i dont do that well in any subject. and i dont think vet courses are easy i think if you are a faster learner it might be easy but since im a slow learner it aint.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)