Scholarships? (1 Viewer)

darkroomgirl

HSC
Has anyone been offered a scholarship by any university, without having had to apply for it beforehand?

I received a call from UWS yesterday... a total surprise... they congratulated me on my HSC results and UAI, then went on to say that they were offering me a scholarship worth $4,000!!! However... I've got my heart set on USyd, and so I have no idea what to do with this awesome opportunity...

Has anyone got a similar experience? What should I do?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Wow, Congrats!

If Sydney has ur desired course, and thats the uni u have ur heart set on, then I think uve really answered ur own question.

Sure a $4000 scholarship is awesome, but...

Dun know, But personaly I would go USYD despite having been offered a scholarhsip at UWS...

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
darkroomgirl said:
Has anyone been offered a scholarship by any university, without having had to apply for it beforehand?

I received a call from UWS yesterday... a total surprise... they congratulated me on my HSC results and UAI, then went on to say that they were offering me a scholarship worth $4,000!!! However... I've got my heart set on USyd, and so I have no idea what to do with this awesome opportunity...

hey yea....
my sister got one too last yr (but for sydney)
its just because you were probably the highest UAI individual to have that course in your preference.
That was the case for my sister.
While $4000 is a nice sum of money, do you really want to go to UWS over USyd?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you've got the marks for USYD and that's the course you really want to do- then $4000 is a small amount of money compared to the amount of money you save by not wasting your time doing a course you don't really want to do.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
darkroomgirl said:

I got offered the same thing, do u know anything about it lol, I'm a bit confused

adambra

HSC
My mate got 90k from Energy Australia. Turned down co-op ones from UNSW and UTS for it.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
adambra said:
My mate got 90k from Energy Australia. Turned down co-op ones from UNSW and UTS for it.
i was too late for that...
there was a weird question in the application that i didnt like i think.
neways it was dirty electrical engineering i think neways.
i ended up taking the co-op..
i wonder who my sponsor is....

wanton-wonton

HSC
adambra said:
Ninety grand? You can't be serious...

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
Ninety grand? You can't be serious...
its 80 something i think its 89 and yea he is serious.

its electrical engineering though....
the questions in the application are really bad though.

neways that isnt the biggest scholarship. UNSW medicine the people who are first n second in the list get a scholarship i think its $120,000.

there is also the army... $20-30,000 a yr
if you do that with medicine - it could go up quite a bit.
but you need to at least stay in the army for the duration of you course + 365 days

Last edited:

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
haboozin said:
neways that isnt the biggest scholarship. UNSW medicine the people who are first n second in the list get a scholarship i think its $120,000.
A friend of mine has a $132,000 scholarship at Bond uni. They give out 11 of them. You have to apply for it though. I'd say thats a fairly big scholarship.

While we're on the topic of scholarships, I'd just like to draw everyone's attention to the fact that I've been shortlisted for the Auscott scholarship! Its $10,000 a year for duration of degree. Theres only 5 people on the shortlist, so, hopefully... (sorry, this has not much relevance, i just wanted to boast)

IcEy

HSC
I got offered a $5000 scholarship to Usyd, but I want to go to melb.

I'll probably go to melb anyway. Parents will hate me though, but they'll get over it.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
haboozin said:
i was too late for that...
there was a weird question in the application that i didnt like i think.
neways it was dirty electrical engineering i think neways.
i ended up taking the co-op..
i wonder who my sponsor is....
Dirty huh?

I don't recall any strange questions in the application. Some people get all the luck, what with him rejecting 2 other offers. Oh well, I'd, err, rather not have EA owning me for 5 years (which they pretty much did if u read the terms) anyway. Or something.

PiGMAN

HSC
Skillo said:
Why would you not want to go to melbourne? =]

It's got Australia's highest ranked uni. WOOP. And i'mmmmm going there.
highest ranked uni for what? all the polls i've seen (time magazine etc) had unsw as australias best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)