School books (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Back when you were a little terror (years seven, eight, nine, and probably ten) - or if you still are, did you find the books the school set out really pathetic.

By the time I was in year six I was reading adult novels, and I'm talking the likes of Tom Clancy (but I don't think I'd discovered him by then). When I was younger I read the usual assortment such as Treasure island.

But anyway, in Year 7 I was prescribed a book which was made for an age group I skipped entirely. I basically went from those cool books (with the gold and black spines - some of them about Bugs Bunny), to full on adult novels.

So I get these books which are way below my level, and I blow through in an hour or so, completely bored usually. Though it did make English the biggest breeze.

Anyone else have this problem? Found the books in the early years of high school below your level? :p

One amendment: To Kill A Mockingbird was good - nearly forget about that. ;)

Last edited:

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
Dude, What...the...fuck!? I see, when your little brother or sister starts school, be sure to give 'em some adult books so they can be cool just like you.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
What the fuck yourself. This being the Reading Room I was wondering if any other people sort of found the books that the school gave you in your junior high school years a bit of a step backwards or something?

Obviously not you TimeAndTide, but other people.

And I chose to read what I did, noone gave them to me. And where do you get the the idea that I see myself as "cool" just because of this?

And for the record, my siblings have all started school and they read what they like, and I don't particuarly care.

TimeAndTide if you don't get hwat I'm, talking about then don't post here, as simple as that.

santaslayer

HSC
yes, i had the same problem as you but nothing to that particular scale...

i did the whole set of lord of the rings, some of the tommorrow when the war began and the hobbit when i was in yr 4....still nothing compared to u...

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
What the fuck yourself. This being the Reading Room I was wondering if any other people sort of found the books that the school gave you in your junior high school years a bit of a step backwards or something?

Obviously not you TimeAndTide, but other people.

And I chose to read what I did, noone gave them to me. And where do you get the the idea that I see myself as "cool" just because of this?

And for the record, my siblings have all started school and they read what they like, and I don't particuarly care.

TimeAndTide if you don't get hwat I'm, talking about then don't post here, as simple as that.
And why do you think I don't get what you're saying? Hmm..? I'm just saying....that you're a psycho because you got to read sex novels when you were young. You take things too seriosly. Stop taking things too seriously, you serious taker.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
santaslayer said:

i did the whole set of lord of the rings, some of the tommorrow when the war began and the hobbit when i was in yr 4....still nothing compared to u...

Compared to me? I ain't taht good. Lord of the Rings was more advanced than everything I ever read when I was in primary. I didn't read Lord of the Rings until I watched the first movie.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
TimeAndTide said:
And why do you think I don't get what you're saying? Hmm..? I'm just saying....that you're a psycho because you got to read sex novels when you were young. You take things too seriosly. Stop taking things too seriously, you serious taker.

I didn't say sex novels. I meant adult novels, as in they were for the adult demographic. You know things like Tom Clancy, or Dan Brown etc. They're all aimed for an adult audience, that's what I meant. I didn't read sex novels, and I never have.

Maybe I am a bit serious, but then you've never met me for real. For all you know I could be a real idiot who doesn't take anything serious. :D :uhhuh: :confused: ;)

But you just don't know......

Last edited:

mayhemily

HSC
santaslayer said:

I was the same. Everyone thought I was reading the bible or something because LOTR was so big lol. I always found the school reading material, i don't know, easy I guess. I just grew up around books and with my parents reading to me and stuff. I remember my dad reading bits of the hobbit to me when I was about 5 or 6 so I guess it started there.

J

jhakka

I started reading heavily when I was in Year 1, so by the time I got to high school I'd read Lord of the Rings, a whole stack of Eddings books and the Tomorrow series by John Marsden. Probably more.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC

yeah i read the tommorrow series thorugh primary and the hobbit- so our yr 7 set text seemed pretty obsolite to me...

some of the english text we got to study weren't too bad - i loved 'To Kill a Mockingbird' - and we always did Shakespeare every year which was great - then again we had some shocking texts

_Amie_

HSC
Yeah I remember my teachers having to find harder books for me to read, even in kindi/yr1. One thing I remember, when we had spelling tests and stuff, I always had to have a separate test with bigger words. The day I learnt to spell Europe in early yr 1 I think, that was exciting!
In my family, Lord of the Rings is like the bible. My mum read it to me and my brother when we were little, and I read it myself about yr3 or 4, and lots of times since.
But yeah I think teachers expect us to be at a certain level, and then get a surprise when people have passed that level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)