School rank, HSC and ATAR (1 Viewer)

Nikolerak

HSC
Can 2 people who get exactly the same HSC marks/bands get different ATARs because one is going to a highly ranked school and the other to a low ranked school?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
No. If the subjects are identical and the HSC marks (both external and moderated internal) are identical then the ATAR will be identical.

A school’s rank is never used in the ATAR calculation.

Nikolerak

HSC
No. If the subjects are identical and the HSC marks (both external and moderated internal) are identical then the ATAR will be identical.

A school’s rank is never used in the ATAR calculation.
Thank you

D94

HSC
N/A
Can 2 people who get exactly the same HSC marks/bands get different ATARs because one is going to a highly ranked school and the other to a low ranked school?
You should understand what it means by a school rank. Have you ever seen NESA or UAC publish school ranks? No. Only the media publishes their version of a school rank, i.e. the ranking of the ratio of Band 6 scores achieved per school. This is an unofficial school rank that no NESA official has consistently gone on public record to ensure students that these school ranks are ultimately meaningless to an individual's performance. In fact, based on this ranking system, the last ranked school could have a median ATAR higher than say a top 30 ranked school. Achieving 89 across board in high scaling subjects could lead to ATARs around 97-98, whereas achieving 90 across board in low scaling subjects could only lead to ATARs around 93-94. Yet, the school with ATARs around 93-94 would be ranked significantly higher than the school with ATARs around 97-98. Seems flawed doesn't it?

Nikolerak

HSC
You should understand what it means by a school rank. Have you ever seen NESA or UAC publish school ranks? No. Only the media publishes their version of a school rank, i.e. the ranking of the ratio of Band 6 scores achieved per school. This is an unofficial school rank that no NESA official has consistently gone on public record to ensure students that these school ranks are ultimately meaningless to an individual's performance. In fact, based on this ranking system, the last ranked school could have a median ATAR higher than say a top 30 ranked school. Achieving 89 across board in high scaling subjects could lead to ATARs around 97-98, whereas achieving 90 across board in low scaling subjects could only lead to ATARs around 93-94. Yet, the school with ATARs around 93-94 would be ranked significantly higher than the school with ATARs around 97-98. Seems flawed doesn't it?
I am pleased to say that this doesn't worry me any longer as my ATAR was high enough to get me in my dream course :) however IMO it is fair that high 80s in more difficult subjects lead to higher ATARs than 90s in easier subjects.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
HSC results and ATAR are intrinsically different. The latter is for the purpose of competitive selection of students for tertiary education places, whereas HSC results represent each student’s achievements in their chosen areas of study noting that some people have no intention of pursuing further academia. These students ought to get high HSC marks if they have achieved excellence in their area, but may get a lower ATAR because those achievements may not necessarily be relevant to higher academia.
ETA: Congratulations for getting into the course which was your first choice.

yanujw

HSC
What are reasons people do the HSC but don't intend on going to university admission? Is there a reason that people don't receive ATARs but still have a full plan to finish Year 11/12?

c8

HSC
What are reasons people do the HSC but don't intend on going to university admission? Is there a reason that people don't receive ATARs but still have a full plan to finish Year 11/12?
Maybe the social aspect of still being with people of the same age or for them it could be taboo to drop out before completing the HSC? Also if i remember correctly you have to actually do something (eg trade or tafe type thing) if you drop out so maybe they'd rather do that after finishing school to completion rather than leave in year 10 with that obligation

Time&moretime

HSC
This is a good question & more relevant today than let's say a few years ago. Some students have fully investigated the different pathways to get into a particular career/line of work. There are peers who stayed on finishing year 12 & whilst doing so add select TAFE courses which would make their nursing degree shorter. In Singapore if I remember rightly, students choose the polytechnics over going to the colleges/uni because the polytechnics offer the right courses for them to pursue the career they hope to have. At the end of the day, you have to decided what works for you, be it uni, TAFE or etc. & also factoring the cost.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Topping HSC in Dance of getting their Art major work into a major exhibition are some examples of people who would want to do well at HSC but not care too much about a very high ATAR. Of course, they would be doing extracurricular activities as well, but a HSC ranking would be a feather in anyone’s cap.

Nikolerak

HSC
HSC results and ATAR are intrinsically different. The latter is for the purpose of competitive selection of students for tertiary education places, whereas HSC results represent each student’s achievements in their chosen areas of study noting that some people have no intention of pursuing further academia. These students ought to get high HSC marks if they have achieved excellence in their area, but may get a lower ATAR because those achievements may not necessarily be relevant to higher academia.
ETA: Congratulations for getting into the course which was your first choice.
I agree 100%.
And thank you 😁 it feels good when hard work pays off!

Nikolerak

HSC
Congrats! Which uni did you end up picking?
ACU :D it was always my first choice. I heard from different sources that ACU Physiotherapy is highly regarded by employers. Reportedly 96% of graduates employed full time within 4 months of graduating.
Thank you for all helpful tips and hints over the past months!

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
ACU :D it was always my first choice. I heard from different sources that ACU Physiotherapy is highly regarded by employers. Reportedly 96% of graduates employed full time within 4 months of graduating.
Thank you for all helpful tips and hints over the past months!
Also a good thing that lots of these tips will never have to be used (re: internal/external transfer, postgrad options etc)!! Always good to have the security of a direct path.

Nikolerak

HSC
Also a good thing that lots of these tips will never have to be used (re: internal/external transfer, postgrad options etc)!! Always good to have the security of a direct path.
Yep! Much easier, faster and less expensive ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)