school scaling (1 Viewer)

J0n

N/A
HSC
Does the school you go too affect your UAI directly?? (i.e NOT better teachers/learning environment)
e.g There are two people - personA and personB:
PersonA went to the bottom school in the state and got first in every single subject for all her assessments.
PersonB went to the top selective school in the state and also got first in every single subject for all her assessments
If PersonA and PersonB did the same subjects, and got identical marks in the HSC exams, would they get the same UAI??

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Hey good question. I can only give a brief answer so hopefully someone can give you a better (or possibly more accurate as this is coming from Vic).

Anyway, yeah here in Victoria the school does affect your ENTER - at least from I have heard. I went to TAFE this yr and was told that students who complete their yr12 at TAFE end up with a lower ENTER either that or the final subject result is scaled down more than if you where attending secondary school.

Also, one of the schools I attended if a student where to put University of Melbourne down as a preference an ENTER of XYZ (?) points higher. Never found out why this applied though.

----BTW ENTER & UAI are equivalent

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
they would get the same uai

however, that being said, someone at the top school in the state is more likely to get a 90+ uai than someone at the worst skool in the state, but no, it does not directly affect it

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It wont affect them, the if they come first in their subjects AND get the top HSC marks their Assesment Marks will be their HSC marks. Since these are the same they will scale the same.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
They will ONLY get the same UAI if they top the HSC exams within their respective classes.

If (for example), some other student in the selective school fluked a higher exam mark, Person B will end up with a higher UAI. The same scenario could conceivably also occur for Person A.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
the only difference will be that person b will have a much more comfortable safety cushion than person a, should he/she stuff up his/her external exams

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
the only difference will be that person b will have a much more comfortable safety cushion than person a, should he/she stuff up his/her external exams
Which leads to the *cough* fake HSC exam misadventure, faking a stomach ache or something so their asssessment marks becomes their HSC mark :)

My friend did that. He was sooo lucky!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
how hard is it to get by with a misadventure claim? (not that i would ever worm my out by that method :) )

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
thats sucks in a way because i hate doing work only study for final exams and final tests so someone who studied all year will get my hsc mark DAMM unfair

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
but to be able to achieve his ranking he obviously must of put a lot of effort which would reflect on his exam mark.

It's not really unfair, it's as fair as it can get.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by J0n
Does the school you go too affect your UAI directly?? (i.e NOT better teachers/learning environment)
e.g There are two people - personA and personB:
PersonA went to the bottom school in the state and got first in every single subject for all her assessments.
PersonB went to the top selective school in the state and also got first in every single subject for all her assessments
If PersonA and PersonB did the same subjects, and got identical marks in the HSC exams, would they get the same UAI??
Wouldnt B get a uai greater than or equal to A?
You didnt mention whether the external mark of B (in the top selective school) was ranked 1 or not. And seeing as hes ranked 1 internally, any external mark that beats his will boost his internal mark, thus giving him a small boost in his uai.

thats the beauty of good schools.

edit: didnt read Laz's post; i reiterated what he said basically

overwhelming

Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
hmm.. hey pigs_can_fly, you aren't the only one that thinks Selena is $)(_@*$)@ hot lol :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)