science/arts combined (1 Viewer)

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
hi guys, i got my offer and accepted it online, and now i have the delima of subject choices..im soo confused can some body help me?
id like to major in ba science - medical microbiology and immunology
and in arts japanese studies
i dont know wat i should pick in semester 1 or 2
any advice??
i looked at the hand book, i know i gota pick 24units
so do i picked like 18 units from science
6 units from arts?
do i have to do gen ed? whateva that is?
thank you.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
heyyyy you wanna do exactly what im doing!

ok first of all, have you done japanese before? if so, you'll need to go in and do a Placement test to see what level of Japanese you're doing. if not, enrol in JAPN1000 (semester 1) and JAPN1001 (semester 2).

to set you up for medical microbiology and immunology, enrol as follows:
semester 1
BIOS1201
MATH1031
CHEM1011/1031 (1011 is lower, 1031 is advanced - do whatever you want)
semester 2
BIOS1101
MATH1041
CHEM1021/1041

so that's 24 units per semester set up for you that will help you advance towards your intended major! that's all you need to know for this year, if you want more details i can help since you wanna do exactly what im doing :D just let me know. good luck!

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
thank you babydoll
hows the degree atm? and um, do i strictly have to do japanese if i wanna get the ba of arts in japanese?
cuz i also wanna explore area such as korean and psychology.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It's a combined degree in just 4 years. Please note that you won't have much electives.

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
babydoll_ said:

ok first of all, have you done japanese before? if so, you'll need to go in and do a Placement test to see what level of Japanese you're doing. if not, enrol in JAPN1000 (semester 1) and JAPN1001 (semester 2).

semester 1
BIOS1201
MATH1031
semester 2
BIOS1101
MATH1041
CHEM1021/1041

so that's 24 units per semester set up for you that will help you advance towards your intended major! that's all you need to know for this year, if you want more details i can help since you wanna do exactly what im doing :D just let me know. good luck!

this is urgent! i didnt do chem in year11/12
if i started off doing chem 1011 , do u think i need bridging?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Just a quick side question.

Can you major in a more general field of science. Like do immunology, a bit of biochemistry and some pharmacology?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Densuki said:
thank you babydoll
hows the degree atm? and um, do i strictly have to do japanese if i wanna get the ba of arts in japanese?
yeah, i'm doing korean this year. here is the subject requirements from the handbook:
The total units of credit required for this program is 192. Students are required to undertake courses totalling 84 units of credit from both the Science and the Arts components of this combined degree. The remaining 24 units of credit may be from either area. The Arts component must include an approved major sequence of 42 units of credit.
so you can use up some of your arts units on other subjects than your major. but in first year i strongly recommend you get your first year science subjects out of the way. you can do electives later.
Densuki said:
chem1011 is designed for people with little to no knowledge of chemistry. many of my friends did NOT do hsc chem and they still managed to do ok in CHEM1011. id really recommend doing the chem bridging course to catch up though. http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/undergrad/sad/bridgeprog.html
bscienceboi said:
Just a quick side question.

Can you major in a more general field of science. Like do immunology, a bit of biochemistry and some pharmacology?
yeah, if you're doing a straight BSc, you can do the subjects for a major in say, immunology, and do other subjects if you have time. you'll find that the prereqs for many different majors overlap, so you'll be covering a broad field.

Last edited:

kaitoufion

HSC
Densuki said:
thank you babydoll
You MIGHT have the time to study one of their 1st level studies during your 3rd or 4th year of study.

However the timetable for combined degree is very tight, so it's normal that you won't be able to do everything you want.

kaitoufion

HSC
Densuki said:
I had the same problem so I sent an email to UNSW asking whether I need to do the bridging course even if I did very well during Year 9 & 10 Science.

But they replied saying that CHEM1011 requires Year 11 Chemistry knowledge, so they would STRONGLY recommend you to do the Chemistry bridging course. But in the end it's still up to you.

If you think you can handle CHEM1011 without the bridging course then that would be nice. But if you can't, that will be a big trouble as you will find yourself always behind.

What I did was, I just bought the Year 11 Chemistry textbook and studied from it. I didn't attend the bridging course coz their timetable didn't fit me.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
kaitoufion said:
I had the same problem so I sent an email to UNSW asking whether I need to do the bridging course even if I did very well during Year 9 & 10 Science.

But they replied saying that CHEM1011 requires Year 11 Chemistry knowledge, so they would STRONGLY recommend you to do the Chemistry bridging course. But in the end it's still up to you.

If you think you can handle CHEM1011 without the bridging course then that would be nice. But if you can't, that will be a big trouble as you will find yourself always behind.

What I did was, I just bought the Year 11 Chemistry textbook and studied from it. I didn't attend the bridging course coz their timetable didn't fit me.
I did year 11 and 12 Chemistry and I found CHEM1011 extremely difficult. 1021 is worst. I was literally lost in the first week of 1021 when they started to teach about quantum mechanics and orbitals >.<

In all seriousness, Year 9 and 10 science is nothing. It won't help at all. I felt that Year 11 and 12 chem didn't really help me that much in University chem either.

What you can do now is to read year 11/12 chem book and then move on to Silberberg chemistry for 1101.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Though, if we do the science/arts combined degree, do we roughly just do most of the core subjects needed to advance towards our major [cos I want to head towards medical immunology + microbiology as well XD], and maybe 1 JAPN course per semester?

Cos right now im doing b science , for semester one, I planned in the timetable like so: 1 BIOS, 1 CHEM, 1 JAPN1000 then a pscychology elective course.

Then in semester 2, I planned: BIOS1101, JAPN1001, math1041, PSYC1011. Or should I do math1031 in semester 1 in place of one of my courses [either psych or japn]?

Then my second question would be, what's the difference if I do this for b science, or b science/b arts?

Cos my timetable allowed me to do japn studies [well I enrolled it via search by category, not via the first year planner]

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Though, if we do the science/arts combined degree, do we roughly just do most of the core subjects needed to advance towards our major [cos I want to head towards medical immunology + microbiology as well XD], and maybe 1 JAPN course per semester?
To major in Medical Microbiology and Immunology, all you need to do is BIOS1201/1101, CHEM1101/1121, One of MATH1031 OR 1041, and MICR2201, 2011, 3041, 3051, and one of 3061 or 3081. Just check the handbook for this major to be sure.

Right now, all you need to worry about is to enrol in BIOS and CHEM courses as they serve as prerequisites to many second year courses for your Medical microbiology and immunology major.

You should be able to fit JAPN somewhere.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Kewl!! Whoa thanks man! I reckon I can definitely enrol in chem + Bios, it's just the maths, then the psychology or japn that's posing a slight problem.

Though that helped clear up alot of things!! Thanks mednez!

P.s. Though partly my reason why I chose this order, was because I may try and transfer into med science, though I'm gonna call tomorrow morning to check what the requirements I need.

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
babydoll_ said:

semester 1
BIOS1201
MATH1031
semester 2
BIOS1101
MATH1041
CHEM1021/1041

Hi babydoll
i enrolled already and i checked the online handbook
it says i only need to do either math1041 or 1031

do you still think i should do both? or can i just carry a lighter load? ie. 18uoc in S2?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
yeah you can do a lighter load - i just did math1031 (i heard 1041 was harder)

but you'll have to make up for those 6uoc later on, which you'll have to make up by overloading, doing a summer/winter course or doing an extra subject which will stretch your degree out another semester

ellie*

HSC
Re: science/arts combined, subjects to choose

Hey Densuki,

To major in Med/Mirc/Immuno (major code MICRC13930) there are a number a prerequisites, as has been mentioned previously. The only problem is that if you want to balance out the arts and science portions of your degree evenly you need to try and do 4 science and 4 arts subjects each year. Unfortunately, there are five science prereqs in first year for MICRC, which unbalances your degree. But there is a way around it so you only do four science subjects in 1st year. Also, if you're not so good at chem or maths, then only doing two science subjects each session will help you to stress less!

You must do:
-BIOS1201 (s1) and BIOS 1101(s2)
-CHEM 1A and 1B
-either MATH1041 or MATH1031
...so here's my advice:
-if you did bio for the HSC and got over 75, aim for a credit in BIOS 1201, if you do this you can apply for an exemption from BIOS1101 in second session which automatically solves the problem of taking even amounts of sci/arts subjects. 1201 is pretty much the year 11 and 12 courses, so if you put your mind to it, you should have no problems.
-If your maths isn't so strong, take MATH1041 instead of MATH1031 as 1041 is statistics and is very easy, whereas 1031 is the equivalent of 3unit and up HSC calculus, nasty stuff.
-Don't panic about not having done chem in year 11 and 12. It's really hard, I'll give you that, because I went in to it with no prior chem knowledge at all and I didn't do the bridging course. I failed one of the mid-sessions but ended up with a pass mark overall. You'll have to work a lot with chem to understand it and be able to do it but the best way to push yourself up to a pass is to make sure you do all the computer assignments, show up to all your labs (and hand the reports in on time), and make friends with someone who is good at chem( those are the people who answer questions in lectures). Trust me, it works because they can help you with the assignments and lab reports too!

So then, this is what your timetable could look like
Session 1- BIOS1201, CHEM1011, two arts subjects
Session 2- CHEM1021, MATH1041, two arts subjects

Hope this helps, sorry it's so long.
Oh also, one final thing..if you fail chem 1A, DON'T PANIC!! It won't screw up your major sequence. You can repeat it in second session and then do 1B in Summer session.

Good luck!:)

kaitoufion

HSC

ellie* said:
-Don't panic about not having done chem in year 11 and 12. It's really hard, I'll give you that, because I went in to it with no prior chem knowledge at all and I didn't do the bridging course. I failed one of the mid-sessions but ended up with a pass mark overall. You'll have to work a lot with chem to understand it and be able to do it but the best way to push yourself up to a pass is to make sure you do all the computer assignments, show up to all your labs (and hand the reports in on time), and make friends with someone who is good at chem( those are the people who answer questions in lectures). Trust me, it works because they can help you with the assignments and lab reports too!
If I am gonna repeat CHEM, is it gonna be under HECS when I repeat it or do I need to pay full-fee??

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A

it'll be under HECS if you're a HECS student

and don't worry, we're not like USYD. we dont make you pay cash for summer session.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC

Under HECS.

HECS will only support you for 192UOC for Sci/Arts, anything over becomes full-fee. Contact Student Central if you need further clarification.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)