science extension (1 Viewer)

Lolapupp

HSC
hey all decided last term that i wanted to do extension science. i dropped chem to pick it up (i still do bio) and now i’m regretting it. i don’t want to only have 10 units (currently have 11). basically the course is a mess and my teacher is kinda useless.
  • we only have 2 lessons a fortnight (50 mins each) when all other extension subjects have 5. our teacher said 5 is way too many and last year they had 3 and it was perfect so this year she’s only doing 2
  • we’ve only just started the subject (8 weeks into year 12) and will only have 3 lessons this term
  • our teacher has already told us she’ll probably miss many lessons because she’s a ‘busy person’ and most lessons she won’t have a lesson plan so we will have to make it up
  • she still has no list of possible subjects for our research projects
  • we have to work with the nearby uni for the research project (didn’t realise that) and that uni only does chem and vet science. i want to do psych or health med or bio. i talked to her about doing something else or choosing another mentor/project and she said it’s not possible
  • another girl in our class has already started her project as they are family friends and she got her started as soon as the term started. they meet multiple times a week to go over the syllabus and her research project which i see as unfair
i kind of want to drop it because i can kind of tell it’s probably just going to be a waste of time but i’m really interested in doing a research project and think it would be really beneficial for my atar and future prospects. i want to do some type of health med science in the future and do research so would love to get a taste of doung a research project but this just all seems useless.

i can’t really complain to anyone higher up at school because the deputy helped set up the course and knows about it all etc. we are only going to have 3 lessons this term and about 10 next term. surely that isn’t enough for an extension subject?

Last edited:

Carl10101

HSC
I am also doing extension science for the 2020 HSC and we've been doing two lessons a week (two hours a week) since the start of term.

We also don't really have a lesson plan but our teacher is very supportive and has been assisting with research project ideas and the syllabus.

Regardless of the school, the fact that your teacher will miss most lessons of an extension subject is not good

In terms of the research project, my class has to come up with our own ideas but the students who have no idea are being assisted by the teacher

We're not really forced to do it with a specific university or mentor but most my class has also made connections with individuals with a nearby uni - myself included

I think the fact that the girl in your class has already started the project can be considered fair due to the fact that students from all around the state have already started (myself included) and it's similar to a person studying earlier or starting an assignment earlier than others

I would recommend keeping the course, attempting to find a mentor and focusing on the project by yourself if the teacher is not being supportive, but it is completely up to you.

Also I am not sure what the legal requirements are for how many hours / lessons that schools have to spend on subjects/extension subjects but only having a single lesson a fortnight does not sound applicable. I honestly don't know NESA wants or if there is an actual amount of hours required but that is certainly something I would complain to my school/teacher about if I was in the same situation

Lolapupp

HSC
I am also doing extension science for the 2020 HSC and we've been doing two lessons a week (two hours a week) since the start of term.

We also don't really have a lesson plan but our teacher is very supportive and has been assisting with research project ideas and the syllabus.

Regardless of the school, the fact that your teacher will miss most lessons of an extension subject is not good

In terms of the research project, my class has to come up with our own ideas but the students who have no idea are being assisted by the teacher

We're not really forced to do it with a specific university or mentor but most my class has also made connections with individuals with a nearby uni - myself included

I think the fact that the girl in your class has already started the project can be considered fair due to the fact that students from all around the state have already started (myself included) and it's similar to a person studying earlier or starting an assignment earlier than others

I would recommend keeping the course, attempting to find a mentor and focusing on the project by yourself if the teacher is not being supportive, but it is completely up to you.

Also I am not sure what the legal requirements are for how many hours / lessons that schools have to spend on subjects/extension subjects but only having a single lesson a fortnight does not sound applicable. I honestly don't know NESA wants or if there is an actual amount of hours required but that is certainly something I would complain to my school/teacher about if I was in the same situation
we have been told by the deputy principal and our teacher that we do not get to choose our research ideas - our teacher will get a list of research going on at the uni and we will pick from that relatively small list. i’m not concerned about the girl actually starting her research project i’m concerned with the fact that our teacher seems to have no interest in getting everyone else started. every time we ask her about if she’s got the list of projects she says ‘she’ll get around to emailing them’

i’m just worried i won’t have a research project idea by the end of term (which is likely. seeing as yesterday was our last lesson for the term) and she will be away for the first half of next term. we also have to do a oral presentation in class on our project and considering that is in week 9 and she will only get back in week 5 - not a lot of time

akaalfauj

HSC
In terms of the amount of lessons, it’s alright that you don’t have that many lessons. A lot of the content can be easily learnt and you pick up a lot skills needed in the exam whilst writing your report, if you put a bit of effort in it and follow the marking criteria.
I don’t agree with the teacher in terms of limiting your research topics and making you work with a uni. You don’t even need a mentor or work with a uni to get a good mark, I did mine by myself within a week and got 77/80 (lost 3 marks for the logbook).
It is definitely the easiest extension subject and you can just chill throughout the year. Realistically only need 2 weeks max to do the report and can study for the exam within a couple of days.
Personal message me if you have any questions or doubts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)