Science Extension? (1 Viewer)

vyloxity

HSC
So im picking up science extension in year 12. Where do I learn to content from? is there videos or lectures or textbooks that follow the course structure? How does it work

idkkdi

HSC
So im picking up science extension in year 12. Where do I learn to content from? is there videos or lectures or textbooks that follow the course structure? How does it work
I thought it was just an open-ended project?

Minaaa

HSC
i'm picking it up too lol so i have the same question

username_2

HSC
I'm not sure if what I say applies to others but the way we are doing things is: Getting all of the course content from the teacher with the assistance of outside resources (using own research). The stuff you learn is sorta dependent on what you are going to choose for your research report. There will some general stuff and that is divided into 3 bits: philosophy of the scientific method, Research proposal and report, and inferential statstics and its role in hypothesis testing (not the maths but what it shows). A good way to start is to search for playlists of science extension other students have made and doing your own research consistently. (Your teacher helps you with the knowledge needed for writing you report if you ask them). So yeah, I will post some links in the doc below about getting started and give me some more time and I will probably make notes and log of what I did - ask if you have any questions:

(All of the links are in the doc - apparently I am not supposed to post links)

For bibliographies, use reference managers like Mendeley or Endnote - makes life 100 times easier

Again, no pre-study is required for science extension. It is only a one unit course. Just get your act together and choose what you want to do early and you should be fine. If you don't like this, just drop and if you do like this course, I am glad to hear I am not the odd one out (sometimes things go wrong but its fine). Again, many of the really good resources are from the education department itself (which I cannot share) and your teachers will have access to these stuff so don't stress, you will get as many resources as you like. Hope this helps - it is a good course. Dont drop out early :)

Attachments

Gigi04728

HSC
I'm not sure if what I say applies to others but the way we are doing things is: Getting all of the course content from the teacher with the assistance of outside resources (using own research). The stuff you learn is sorta dependent on what you are going to choose for your research report. There will some general stuff and that is divided into 3 bits: philosophy of the scientific method, Research proposal and report, and inferential statstics and its role in hypothesis testing (not the maths but what it shows). A good way to start is to search for playlists of science extension other students have made and doing your own research consistently. (Your teacher helps you with the knowledge needed for writing you report if you ask them). So yeah, I will post some links in the doc below about getting started and give me some more time and I will probably make notes and log of what I did - ask if you have any questions:

(All of the links are in the doc - apparently I am not supposed to post links)

For bibliographies, use reference managers like Mendeley or Endnote - makes life 100 times easier

Again, no pre-study is required for science extension. It is only a one unit course. Just get your act together and choose what you want to do early and you should be fine. If you don't like this, just drop and if you do like this course, I am glad to hear I am not the odd one out (sometimes things go wrong but its fine). Again, many of the really good resources are from the education department itself (which I cannot share) and your teachers will have access to these stuff so don't stress, you will get as many resources as you like. Hope this helps - it is a good course. Dont drop out early :)
My school was going to offer it for 2022 but now they aren't and I really want to do it. Do you know if there is any outside of school programs that make up for this?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
My school was going to offer it for 2022 but now they aren't and I really want to do it. Do you know if there is any outside of school programs that make up for this?
I was going to suggest the Sydney Distance Education High School but it doesn't seem like they offer Science Extension either.

Have you checked TAFE? I believe you might be able to complete an HSC subject with them.

Gigi04728

HSC
I was going to suggest the Sydney Distance Education High School but it doesn't seem like they offer Science Extension either.

Have you checked TAFE? I believe you might be able to complete an HSC subject with them.
Would tafe take time out of normal class time?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
minhie said:
Hello, does anyone know any school that offers Distance Education for Science Extension? (preferably within the south-western area)
My school apparently doesn't offer it due to teacher shortage but I'd love to do it as a subject in the HSC.
Sydney Distance Education High School, so far, is the nearest to me of all the schools I have found, but they don't offer Science Extension, unfortunately.
Help would be much appreciated, thank you.
The Department of Education provides a list of schools that offer distance education. You should have a look at that list and then do the following:
  • Check if a distance education school is located within your specified area.
  • If you find a distance education school located within your area, check if it offers Stage 6 subjects.
  • If the distance education school offers Stage 6 subjects, check if Science Extension is offered at that school.
Information about whether a distance education school offers Stage 6 subjects and whether one of the subjects offered is Science Extension can be found by accessing the particular school's website and/or contacting the school in question.

However, from a quick check, it seems like none of the distance education schools that offer Stage 6 subjects offer Science Extension. Of course, you could do some more rigorous checking yourself to confirm whether that is indeed the case, although I think that it would be reasonable to suggest that it is. If that ends up being the case, it would be interesting to know the reason, especially since the candidature for Science Extension, that is, the number of students that take this subject, is higher than some Continuers language courses offered via distance education. 🤔

I hope this helps! :D

carrotsss

HSC
The Department of Education provides a list of schools that offer distance education. You should have a look at that list and then do the following:
  • Check if a distance education school is located within your specified area.
  • If you find a distance education school located within your area, check if it offers Stage 6 subjects.
  • If the distance education school offers Stage 6 subjects, check if Science Extension is offered at that school.
Information about whether a distance education school offers Stage 6 subjects and whether one of the subjects offered is Science Extension can be found by accessing the particular school's website and/or contacting the school in question.

However, from a quick check, it seems like none of the distance education schools that offer Stage 6 subjects offer Science Extension. Of course, you could do some more rigorous checking yourself to confirm whether that is indeed the case, although I think that it would be reasonable to suggest that it is. If that ends up being the case, it would be interesting to know the reason, especially since the candidature for Science Extension, that is, the number of students that take this subject, is higher than some Continuers language courses offered via distance education. 🤔

I hope this helps! :D
Part of it would probably be that it’s a pretty new subject and it would be quite difficult to run online, since you’d have to somehow run the major project and mentoring system from a distance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)