Science Fiction texts? (1 Viewer)

Zephyrio

HSC
aLexTasyy said:
ahaha...my english teacher says twilight is sci-fi...im like wtf? your choice...
Twilight is sci-fi, and brilliant sci-fi at that.

The reason Twilight, the old series, is so brilliant is because the film-makers actively, and allegorically, make comments about the hidden and suppressed fears of the times in which the films are set. For example, in one episode, a particularly brilliant one, it commented on the fear of nuclear obliteration - that is, the destruction of the earth through nuclear bombs. People took this threat very seriously, and unsurprisingly so, given the Cold War between the USSR and the USA bringing along with it the threat of nuclear annihilation.

You might also want to try Z for Zachariah. It's absolutely brilliant. Or Galax-arena by Gillian Rubenstein. I've also no doubt that some would also do Isaac Asimov. Great man.

Sci-fi is a genre which is often undervalued because hey it's just the crap we get in Men in Black. Real and unbelievably believable sci-fi texts are far from the caricatures we get so often these days.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Zephyrio said:
Twilight is sci-fi, and brilliant sci-fi at that.
How dare you put Stephanie Meyer in the same league as authors like Philip K. Dick, Asimov, Ursula Leguin.

Also twilight is fantasy, not sci-fi.

Zephyrio said:
The reason Twilight, the old series, is so brilliant is because the film-makers actively, and allegorically, make comments about the hidden and suppressed fears of the times in which the films are set. For example, in one episode, a particularly brilliant one, it commented on the fear of nuclear obliteration - that is, the destruction of the earth through nuclear bombs. People took this threat very seriously, and unsurprisingly so, given the Cold War between the USSR and the USA bringing along with it the threat of nuclear annihilation.
Wait, are you talking about the twilight zone? Cause that's not what I took twilight to mean... or is there some other old twilight series?

twilight zone would be okay.

To the op, go read any book by philip k dick, I would recommend "a scanner darkly" or "ubik" first, but they're all mindblowing.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Sci-Fi texts!!! OMG there is so much out there.

• Anything by Isaac Asimov ("I am Robot" is where I started by Sci-Fi love. His "Foundation" series is also awesome and he is the master of the short story.)
  • Frank Herbert's "Dune" is a Sci-Fi classic. Many hate it because you HAVE to study it but it is the only series I have read multiple times (even more than Harry Potter) despite the length.
  • Larry Niven's "Ringworld" is a must.
  • Then, of course, there is Jules Verne, the pioneer of Science Fiction!!
  • Robert Heinlein is also good. My Dad loves him. He wrote "Starship Troopers".
  • Arthur C. Clarke is pretty good ("2001: A Space Odessey" guy).
  • Stephen King even gets a look in on the list of Sci-Fi authors on Wikipedia.
  • Ursula K. LeGuin writes both fantasy and Sci-Fi.
  • C.S.Lewis even wrote a "Space Trilogy" before he wrote Narnia.
  • George Lucas (Duh!)
  • Anne McCaffrey (more famous for her dragon fantasy books) also wrote sci-fi.
  • Terry Pratchett (Discworld man) wrote "Dark Side of the Sun" and "Strata" both sci-fi.
  • Carl Sagan wrote "Contact" (the basis for the Jodi Foster movie).
  • Joseph Michael Straczynski (or J. Michael Straczynski to those of us who LURVE him) wrote Babylon 5. The best, most awesome Sci-Fi TV series ever!
  • H.G. Wells is another of the Sci-Fi fathers (along with Verne). "The Time Machine" and "The War of the Worlds" are two of his.
That about picks the eyes out of the Wikipedia list and my brain. I don't know many of the latest pure sci-fi writers, because Fantasy writing tends to blend over into the Sci-Fi realm with books like "Harry Potter", "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrill" and Anne McCaffrey's dragons now being grouped with Sci-Fi. Hence the more general genre "Speculative Fiction". And I'm more a Fantasy person, now.

Hope that helps a little.

A l

HSC
N/A
Michael Crichton's novels have great science fiction stories (he passed away....:( only a few weeks ago). He wrote the classic story "Jurassic Park" which led to one of the top selling films of all time and sparked a huge scientific debate about whether it was possible to clone dinosaurs from extinction because the theory behind it was credible (and btw I think that film will be screened on Channel 10 this Saturday night...lol). As much as it's about dinosaurs taking over an island, one of its major themes is the ethical issue involving failure of control over complex scientific innovations.

Whilst "Jurassic Park" was his most famous work other novels you might want to explore include "Prey", "Congo", "Timeline" and "The Lost World" (the sequel to "Jurassic Park"). He commonly uses the theme of chaos (failure to predict outcomes) and breakdown of control throughout his novels.

I love science fiction stories. I wish they had made this module earlier...it looks so interesting....:(

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
What, you don't know Jules Verne or you don't think he wrote Sci-Fi. He was the pioneer, before the genre Sci-Fi even existed! His Wiki page says this:
Wikipedia said:
Jules Gabriel Verne (February 8, 1828 – March 24, 1905) was a French author who pioneered the science-fiction genre. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (written in 1864), From the Earth to the Moon (1865), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1869–1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873). Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of space travel had been devised. Consequently he is often referred to as the "Father of science fiction", along with H. G. Wells.[1]
Now if that isn't Sci-Fi then I'm a kangaroo's joey. Read his Wiki page and it will also tell you that he predicted air conditioning, the internet, automobiles, television, the Apollo Space Programme, helicopters, projectors and jukeboxes. Today sci-fi predicts space travel, warp drives and travelling faster than light, transporters, matter converters, laser guns and so on. The sci-fi has just changed because he wrote about is now science-fact!

(And if I asked you what Woodstock was, would you say it was a little yellow bird that hung around with Snoopy or had something to do with Jimmy Hendrix? :p LOL)

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
Honey, I was suggesting Verne for possible study. Anyone with half a brain would know that he wrote science fiction.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Thanks Hun and sorry. I guess someone with half a brain would read the posts before, anyway... :p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't think we're allowed to use Dune - it's a prescribed text (albeit, it's not the text that my school is using).

Schoey93

HSC
According to my English teacher, Mrs Sewell, "one of the greatest science fiction texts ever written") uh... "The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham. Duh! Why has anyone not yet mentioned this?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Cause we mighta never heard of it?

perrie1234

HSC
are we allowed to choose Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep because it is supposed to be the same as Blade Runner therefore we wouldnt be allowedus to do it because it is on the syllabus

but is it different

Enigmanation

HSC
Nah its not exactly the same as Blade Runner, or rather, Blade Runner isn't exactly the same as it. There are a lot of similarities but Blade Runner is by definition merely an 'adaptation' of Dick's novel. Plus the novel is originally set in a different time, its in a different form and it goes a lot more in depth than Blade Runner about its concepts.
So i would guarantee that your pretty safe there.

perrie1234

HSC
i think im picking Fahrenheit 451 --- does anyone have notes about it or anything helpful for science fiction

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)