Science Reactions (1 Viewer)

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
I wouldn't say "corrosion reaction". It is a chemical reaction, where the metal corrodes.
Rusting is actually the oxidation of, specifically, Iron. Other oxidation reactions don't get the name "rust".

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
minijumbuk said:
I wouldn't say "corrosion reaction". It is a chemical reaction, where the metal corrodes.
Rusting is actually the oxidation of, specifically, Iron. Other oxidation reactions don't get the name "rust".
now i'm a little confused... :confused:

Is oxidising a type of chemical reaction though???

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Miss Sunshine said:
now i'm a little confused... :confused:

Is oxidising a type of chemical reaction though???
It is.

minijumbuk is right, oxidation reaction is a better name for it.

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
rolror88 said:
It is.

Alright, I will trust you on that then minijumbuk and rolror88..

Thx

Lukybear

HSC
But they wont call it oxidation in the exam, it will be rusting or very unlikely corrosion... cause its yr 10 science

suzlee

HSC
Corrosion reaction: a metal reacts with oxygen.

Yeah, I agree with above... it's year 10 science and we use what we learn when we get tested.

Aznmichael92

HSC
suzlee said:
Corrosion reaction: a metal reacts with oxygen.

Yeah, I agree with above... it's year 10 science and we use what we learn when we get tested.
i think it is also in presence of water? i might be wrong but thats what i think cause combustion is also combining a substance with oxygen and the substance can be a metal.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
i think it is also in presence of water? i might be wrong but thats what i think cause combustion is also combining a substance with oxygen and the substance can be a metal.
Combusting is different. They're organic compounds such as alkanes or alkanols, and the products are usually always CO2 and H2O

Oxidation of metals, though, do not turn into CO2 and H2O. Instead, they (if I remember correctly) lose electrons to oxygen/water molecules to become metallic oxides.

I forgot what you have to do in year 10 science for this bit =\
So I guess it will suffice to say that rust is the oxidation of iron in the presence of moist air.

HSC
N/A
rolror88 said:
If specificity is proportional to goodness, then yes; otherwise, 'no' or not a definite 'yes'.
i think it is also in presence of water?
Water, as moisture in the air, catalyses the reaction (and is also an electrolyte!).

And yes.
i might be wrong but thats what i think cause combustion is also combining a substance with oxygen and the substance can be a metal.
Depends on the reactivity of the metal, really.
minijumbuck said:
the products are usually always CO2 and H2O
Given complete combustion and an abudance of diatomic oxygen, yes.
Oxidation of metals, though, do not turn into CO2 and H2O. Instead, they (if I remember correctly) lose electrons to oxygen/water molecules to become metallic oxides.
Yep.

OIL RIG ftw. ;)

JasonNg1025

HSC
Oxidation, as mentioned above, is when a metal loses electrons to something. Do they have to form oxides? I thought if a metal oxidises...

X(s) --> X#+ + #e-

Something like that happens, so the metal could also form ions in solution... hmmm I should look that up...

For combustion, products of complete are CO2 and H2O as said above, and the products of incomplete combustion are a mixture of H2O (MUST CONTAIN), CO2, CO and C. Apart from H2O, there is a possibility that there is none of one product, e.g. in an incomplete combustion, products could be H2O, CO and C.

I'm not sure if they've learnt OIL RIG in year 10 yet lucid, but just in case you guys don't know:

Oxidation
Is
Loss

Reduction
Is
Gain

The loss and gain are of electrons.

Offtopic - For some reason I can't use HTML tags here... how do I turn HTML code back on?
(Hate vB :headbang:)

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Lucid Scintilla said:
LOLOL, OIL RIG was in the Yr9* science textbook, Yr10 dude who does accelerated Chem. :p

ETA: *or Yr10.
From memory, it was in the year 10 Core Science text book.

JasonNg1025

HSC
Eh?? It wasn't in mine :(
Or else I got bad memory and forgot learning it in year 9/10

I'ma ask my friends at school xD
Cause I think I saw it for the first time in the PoM topic

shad0w

HSC
I was told...
Corrosion
Metal + Oxygen -> Metal Oxide
Iron + Oxygen -> Iron Oxide
To speed this process water + oxygen +salt can be used; this will create rust (I think you need H2O as well)
lol...i think i might be way off...cus WTH is OIL RIG?
and...ZOMG WTH!? YOU DO CHEM IN YR 10!? WHAT SCHOOL!?
o and was it unit 1or2 math in yr 9??

Last edited:

JasonNg1025

HSC
shad0w said:
I was told...
Corrosion
Metal + Oxygen -> Metal Oxide
Iron + Oxygen -> Iron Oxide
To speed this process water + oxygen +salt can be used; this will create rust (I think you need H2O as well)
lol...i think i might be way off...cus WTH is OIL RIG?
Wow, so many questions.

Yes, that's what corrosion is. It's where rust (a metal oxide) is formed by exposure to air or water etc. OIL RIG is one of those pesky pneuaoiuaoueaoiumonics to help you remember what oxidation and reduction are.

Basically, Oxidation is the loss of electrons, and reduction is the gain of electrons. When you do this, you usually refer to a redox reaction, where something is oxidised, and the electrons move somewhere else to reduce something else. Refer to my previous post for more OIL RIG details. I think you'll learn more about these later, seriously, I can't remember doing this in year 10.... basically, OIL RIG doesn't have much to do with corrosion at this stage.

shad0w said:
ZOMG WTH!? YOU DO CHEM IN YR 10!?
Yes

shad0w said:
WHAT SCHOOL!?
Toongabbie Christian School

shad0w said:
o and was it unit 1or2 math in yr 9??
You should be told in subject selections for year 11 / 12. There's general, then there's just Mathematics (2 units). If you like maths, you can choose to do extension maths. Extension 1 is where you just do one more unit, so that's why it's 3 unit maths. (Tad harder). Extension 2 is where you go even further, so you do an extra 2 units (from the normal mathematics). It gives you 4 units. So last year I did extension 1 and 2 maths......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)