SDD help! (1 Viewer)

klufs2003

jesus lol
HSC
Hey, im still in yr 11 and the highest mark in the Prelim SDD exam for our class was 56%...

i got 51% which is pretty craptastic compared to my other marks, in the end we all got scaled i got 75%.

Is this normal or is my class just stupid By the way we only got 1hr30mins for the exam when it was sup to go for 2 hrs. I didnt finish but i know the thing i fuked up was the pseudocode coz i suck at it.

Anyone got some notes, tips or advice on improving my Pseudocode or other aspects of SDD.

Regards Martin Cloughley

aaaman

Banned
HSC
klufs2003 said:
Hey, im still in yr 11 and the highest mark in the Prelim SDD exam for our class was 56%...

i got 51% which is pretty craptastic compared to my other marks, in the end we all got scaled i got 75%.

Is this normal or is my class just stupid By the way we only got 1hr30mins for the exam when it was sup to go for 2 hrs. I didnt finish but i know the thing i fuked up was the pseudocode coz i suck at it.

Anyone got some notes, tips or advice on improving my Pseudocode or other aspects of SDD.

Regards Martin Cloughley

well coming from a guy ranked 1st in SDD

Yr 11 SDD (yrly exam 37%) 10/10

yr 12 SDD Trails 74(CSSA) 1/7

yr 11 is shit n dw about it yr 12 is heaps better than yr 11

MarsBarz

HSC
Do not despair. SDD is not a difficult course at all.

To improve your pseudocode, I suggest learning basic programming concepts and building your way up. It's a good idea to pick up a programming book and learn the basics. Whilst the syntax will differ, basic programming techniques are often very good groundwork.
I suggest you learn about:
- Different data types, their properties and how they can be manipulated (integer, boolean, double, array, record, file etc.)
- Variable scope (local, global etc.)
- Basic programming techniques such as swapping values, doing calculations, sorts, searches, sub-routines, functions etc.

Also try to remember how pseudocode is written (see syllabus).
Practice different algorithms, starting with easier problems and working your way up to the harder problems.

I was already familiar with a programming language before starting the SDD course (namely PHP), and that helped me a lot.

Remember, it's all about the basics. Don't just go into VB and start making forms, buttons and other controls and think that you understand programming. That's just drag-dropping. Work your way up.

For the theory side of SDD, all you can do is read your textbooks again and again, write notes, read other people's notes, memorize, do past papers etc.

HSC
You can do a variety of things Martin:

- for improving pseudocode, I suggest you find some 3u computing papers, as well as HSC papers and do ALL required pseudocode, don't worry if it takes awhile or your really bad at first, practice makes perfect
- for theory, use a variety of sources (very big variety) and read lots of books, compile your own set of notes; may i suggest you do all the questions in the sam davis book, while nothing similar to them is asked, it allows for lateral thinking of the SDD course which lets you answer higher order questions more precisely (rather than give a general bullshit answer)
- like pseudocode, modelling (context, dataflow, systems etc.) requires practice, do plenty of them

does your brother or sister do 3u computing? you'll find that the algorithms done in 3u is very similar to SDD's algorithms; make sure to use their books if not, you can prob find some dirt cheap since the course no longer exists

klufs2003

jesus lol
HSC
ok thanks ive been looking at the notes from the bored of studies and they seem to be helpin out too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)