SDD Major Project Ideas (1 Viewer)

D

dragonet

Gimme a project idea pls?

Hi,

Next year ill be in yr 12 and currently have to come up with a project idea for my major, which actually counts towards to my hsc. FOr my prelim major i wrote a package which creates multiple choice questions, tests the students and automatically marks for a whole class. I got full mark for my project.

But now i hav no idea for a useful project to do. I'll 'really' appreciate if anyone can give me a program idea that is actually useful in some way.

thnx in advance

Winston

HSC
how about a nice image viewer with all the necessary options etc...

D

dragonet

Thnx. But i would prefer something not focusing on graphics.

Actually, my teacher prefers something that involves 'algorithms' and 'analysis'. But we don't need to mind those too much.

Personally, i want to make something of a similar scale to my prelim project.

thnx so much.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Do a program that solves the Target word in the Herald each morning...

This one is really complicated if you want something cool:
Write a Dating Agency program... Like - you know the web pages where you go and sign up, answer some questions, and then based on answers, the program 'matches' you to the perfect partner?
If you are planning on doing this, i recommend reading Clio Cresswall's book called 'Mathematics and Sex'. (Its actually really interesting... Though the maths is fairly low level... and there's not 'that' much of it)
You could do this with databases, or with either random or sequential files.

Trying to think of more ideas!

Fosweb

HSC
The most useful thing i have ever coded took less than an hour, and i use it everyday pretty much...
Its just a note taking program, have a look at it here (only a few kb)
http://fosweb.com/files/fosNotes.exe

Its simple: uses a random file to store notes, lets you add + delete notes. Hides itself in system tray, and even scrolls the standard vb listbox horizontally...
A little bit of RAD...

J0n

N/A
HSC
For ideas, you should check out the BOS' SDD Support Documentation. It has ideas such as Stock market simulator, Calculator, Text encryption/ analysis, Bingo and a Crossword generator.

For my prelim project, i made a typing program which had algorithms for generating a custom test, and determing the encouragement message(there is an example of desk checking this algorithm in the Fowler book).

For my HSC project, i made a program to teach binary, octal and hex, and also to test you on it. It had an algorithm for converting to binary, although for octal and hex i used the built in functions. If you wanted to add more functions to desk check, you could build your own hex and octal functions, and if you are doing the option topic of 'The Developer's view of the hardware', you could also make your program test the user on two's complement and adding and subtracting binary numbers - More Algorithms! :D

D

dragonet

Thnx for the inputs.

However, my teacher expects something more complex, something that involves some kind of algorithm work.

We are using visual basic, if that matters at all.

thnx

Winston

HSC

Redp3n

make a counter strike cd key generator and give me one that works on the net

Fosweb

HSC
I reckon you wont find anything more complex than a dating agency...

If you really want algorithms, do a sorting program (then you'll be ready for HSC)... Check out the one on my site.

yoshi

Originally posted by dragonet
However, my teacher expects something more complex, something that involves some kind of algorithm work.
Dude, programming is just implementing algorithms (they're the same processes, one more abstract than the other). You'll be doing this no matter what your project is.

From what J0n posted, the BOS' suggestions are excellent. You will have no trouble drawing up pretty flowcharts and algorithms for a simple project such as a calculator.

From what it sounds like you are not so excited about this project (otherwise you would have thought up your own ideas), so just do it simple and do it well.

Fosweb

HSC
The BOS Suggestions are boring... But you could take one of them, and add features, and turn it into something cool.

I dont know what your issue with something being 'not complex enough' is though. You should be trying to 'simplify' things, not complicate them.
If you could come up with a simple program that does the same thing as a complex one, then the simple one would kick butt.

Try programming a DBMS.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Umm... I've had a project on the back-boiler for a while...

It's something that works out dependencies between objects, and arranges them in 'layers', eg. Say:

Code:
object1 dependancies:
  object2
  object3

object2 deps:
  object3

object3 deps:
   none
From there, you can arrange the three into layers, eg. Layer[0] = object3, Layer[1] = object2, Layer[2] = object1.

You can use this module in a variety of things, from a Gantt-chart generator, to parallel init-scripts in *nix.

Umm... Douzo? Have fun. ^_^

yoshi

Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo
From there, you can arrange the three into layers, eg. Layer[0] = object3, Layer[1] = object2, Layer[2] = object1.
Are you sorting the objects based on the weight of their dependencies? Or something else? What is a "layer"?

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Just a name I came up with off the top of my head. :p

I was going to use this for Unix init scripts, eg. I work out the dependencies for each service to start up. The script sorts out the 'layers'.

From there, each object/service from a certain layer would run simultaneously. I'd wait for them to finish, then run the services from the next 'layer', and so on and so on...

There's no weighting involved in my version - it's a simple binary '1' = Required, '0' = Not Required.

Last edited:

abba86amy

adagio ~ the slow one...
HSC
Originally posted by Fosweb

Try programming a DBMS.
hi, but wat is a DBMS? arh, i sound so noobie...^^;;

anyway, what would u guys think of a database kind of thing for a major project?

Is it too boring/easy etc? what are ur opinions? or do u guys have any more suggestions?
I was also thinking of making a maths drill game for kids, to let them practive their maths skills.
Do you think its challenging enough? like in terms of algorithms n the such? 0_o
haha, pls reply

J0n

N/A
HSC
Originally posted by abba86amy
hi, but wat is a DBMS? arh, i sound so noobie...^^;;
I think DBMS stands for DataBase Management Service, but i've never used it.

Originally posted by abba86amy
I was also thinking of making a maths drill game for kids, to let them practive their maths skills.
Do you think its challenging enough? like in terms of algorithms n the such? 0_o
haha, pls reply
In yr 11 almost everybody did a math tutoring program except me :D.
I think that it's a good idea from the algorithm's side, and can be quite simple to program. You also have quite a lot of scope to attempt a difficulty to your standard - you could make a simple program to just quiz you on different sums and times tables, or you could make it like those commercial programs, give them circle geometry questions (therefore needing graphics), ask multiple choice questions, give lessons, graph the results, save the results, print out certificates, give users passwords.
This will give you algorithms:
- read/write sequential file (retriving/saving results)
- generating random question
- graphing results
- validate password
- determine encouragement message from mark
You could even use your sorting algorithms for sorting the users in alpabetical order just for the heck of it :)

abba86amy

adagio ~ the slow one...
HSC
:p thanks alot for ur time to help me~!

What do you think about the database idea? Well right now, i was thinking of making a simple one, ie. to keep records n the basic functions.

What other functions could i add to make it more useful/challenging?

Thanks~~;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)