Second time round (1 Viewer)

Christine

beige member
HSC
I'm seriously considering doing year 12 again, what are your thoughts?

it just really depends, can you guarantee that you will work harder and be able to get a better result and do you really want to put yourself through it again? A lot of people seem to want to move on BUT like a lot of people have said u can do a similar course and try to get in through the backdoor and gain a transfer or something. i know a few famliy friends who have done this quite successfully.

astro boy

HSC
i was thinking about doing it again but i think ill just get a transfer if i dont get what or where i want
but then again if you did it again it would be a lot easier than the first time regardless if you work harder

astro boy

HSC
Originally posted by Slice of heaven
not if the tests are significantly harder or easier because either way you could lose.
even if the tests are harder you have an advantage over the other students who are sitting the hsc for the first time and since there is an emphasis on ranking you would still do better than if it was your first time doing hsc

kini mini

HSC
There is no way I could take this year all over again :eek:. That said, if you can't get into uni in even a remotely-related course I suppose it is worth it. But I think it;s best to do something in uni first and then transfer.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by kini mini
There is no way I could take this year all over again :eek:. That said, if you can't get into uni in even a remotely-related course I suppose it is worth it. But I think it;s best to do something in uni first and then transfer.
thats easier said than done though
a better option is to do a TAFE accredited course for a year and then that way u can earn ur way into the uni course, and at the same time, the uni course will take less time for u to complete

Sarah

HSC
N/A
minai's suggestion is good cept u gotta research first and phone up the uni's and ask about what tafe course is best to do for the uni course u want and to also find out if it will give u some credit.
i know that if u want to study business at uts, they will give u some credit depending on what business course u study at tafe

but say if u do repeat again, u can take up some new subjects which u wished u'd done and/or u can elect to repeat certain courses u did this yr.

btw, have u talked to ur careers advisor?

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
The above is all good advice, imho. It depends on your reasons for wanting to repeat. Is it because you're not going to get into the course you want with your UAI? Or, as Bon said, are you just unhappy with your marks? Or something else?

Personally, neither of these would induce me to repeat year 12, because there are less stressful pathways (tafe and uni transfer) which will also probably give you a wider range of experiences and facilitate you down life's path. Remember to get advice for the best courses to transfer from, as Sarah said.

If you are feeling down about results, remember that after the first 6 weeks of uni or tafe, they become completely meaningless, unless you are transferring, and the extreme media hype which is the HSC at the moment will die down soon. I have a friend who got a UAI of .05 above what she needed to get into Arts at Sydney uni when she did her HSC two years ago, and now she is enrolled in Media Communications at UTS. She told me that after being really disappointed in her HSC marks and UAI, she thought she'd never get over it, but getting into university made her realise that it was time for her to move on with her life and enjoy it for what it was, not what it could have been. Now she's doing what she wants, and it took her years after her hSC to finally work it out!

Always think forward. :)

afnya

Originally posted by Sarah

but say if u do repeat again, u can take up some new subjects which u wished u'd done and/or u can elect to repeat certain courses u did this yr.

btw, have u talked to ur careers advisor?
wouldnt u have to do the same subs because of what u did in yr 11? you have to pass the course in yr 11 to do em in year 12 dont ya?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I like that point there Weisy

Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
if u repeat, do u get penalties towards your uai?
no,
u can choose the subjects u wish to repeat, however, the UAC takes the last attempt at the course for calculation of the UAI...so if u do worse than the previous yr, they take your worse mark.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
If you can find any way at all into your course, then it's a total waste of time to repeat, just cos you may not have been happy with your UAI. After UNI/Tafe goes back, no one will even think about their UAIs again.

1 more

fructis
HSC
I could never repeat, the subject I did best in and enjoyed the most was Visual Art- But to do another major work? Aghhhhhit doesnt even bear thinking about.

Let us know what you decide.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
afnya, i heard u could pick up new couses but i might be wrong. best to check with tafe or careers advisor

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
would i b right to say that u can repeat the subjects that u didnt not well in and keep the hsc marks of those that u did well in?

jessika

law chicky
HSC
yeah you can do new courses, its just heaps more stressful you have to do prelim and hsc work in one year, which was why I dropped studies of religion, evern though the work was really interesting, 4 hours per week, sometimes more just got to be too much of a workload for a 1-unit course.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Christine
I'm seriously considering doing year 12 again, what are your thoughts?
Dont stress about it, by now you will have had your cooling off period!
I know how you feel about getting disappointed with your marks, at first I wanted to repeat as well, because I cant get into syd uni for law with my marks, but I realised that I can go to other unis and do law and then transfer, or go to syd and do something and transfer after a year and you can do the same for the course you want to do.

try TAFE, I think thats what Im probably going to do, for a while, cause I dont really want the stress of school over and again, and cause its so much cheaper than uni.

whatever you do never forget, theres a world of opportunities out there :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)