Section 1, Part A - Multiple Choice (1 Viewer)

HSC
my teacher seemed to think that with the hybridisation question it was D? I put C though..im not sure does anyone know what the answer was?
OMG!! That hybridisation question!! I did not get it at all!! I thought 3 of the answers were correct (carrots was obviuosly wrong because the only species is a carrot here), but put D in the end. Not sure if it's right. Anyone know the actual answer, and could u explain please?? :)

Richarddd169

HSC
Hey guys can anyone tell me approximately what mark im looking at? like from what everyone thinks the answers aree.. thankss :)
1. b
2. c
3. a
4. c
5. a
6. c
7. b
8. b
9. b
10. d
11. c
12. c
13. d
14. a
15. a
16. d
17. d
18. b
19. c
20. b

thankyouuuu
I got 100% the same. And I've checked it with several others answers and got the same thing. So I'd you got 20/20. Well done :)

liz2814

HSC
I got 100% the same. And I've checked it with several others answers and got the same thing. So I'd you got 20/20. Well done :)
Oh really yay! thankyou! well done to you too :) Afterwards I asked my teacher about question 11 (the hybridisation question) and she seemed to think that C was wrong which was what I put because it produces a bengal cat which is a different species or something? She thought it could have been D. Could someone please explain to me why it could/couldnt be D haha coz i was sort of trying to choose beween the two and chose C eventually..

carpe_diem

HSC
I think thats wrong, because in real life different species don't have the same chances of survival, so if the biscuits did have the same chance it wouldn't be a very good model. I'm pretty sure the correct answer was the one about how the biscuits couldn't reproduce/pass on traits/genetic information, whatever the wording of it was.
That's correct. When we did that experiment (with lollies) that was one of the limitations we put down as a class. As part of the Theory of Evolution and Natural Selection, organisms must be able to reach sexual maturity and pass on their characteristics.

nirukk

HSC
Can anyone explain why 18 (How does a plant respond in order to keep cool on an extremely hot day) is B ?

Nevermind, found source from Heinemann textbook, it says "Transpiration from leaves has a cooling effect on plants".

Last edited:

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Can anyone explain why 18 (How does a plant respond in order to keep cool on an extremely hot day) is B ?

Nevermind, found source from Heinemann textbook, it says "Transpiration from leaves has a cooling effect on plants".
Haha yeah, I was going to say look at page 3 of this thread but you found it anyway :)

RishBonjour

HSC
OMG!! That hybridisation question!! I did not get it at all!! I thought 3 of the answers were correct (carrots was obviuosly wrong because the only species is a carrot here), but put D in the end. Not sure if it's right. Anyone know the actual answer, and could u explain please?? :)
for the course, we learnt hybridisation WITHIN species. so it was the apple one--> D. crossing two different species may produce an offspring, but they aren't (generally) fertile.

liz2814

HSC
for the course, we learnt hybridisation WITHIN species. so it was the apple one--> D. crossing two different species may produce an offspring, but they aren't (generally) fertile.
Nah, I asked a couple of teachers and some other people and they said it definately wasn't D because that is cloning and that the answer is C

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, I asked a couple of teachers and some other people and they said it definately wasn't D because that is cloning and that the answer is C
Could you also confirm questions:
14: Fresh water fish... role of kidney
19: Haemoglobin... adaptive advantage for endotherms in cold environment

liz2814

HSC
Could you also confirm questions:
14: Fresh water fish... role of kidney
19: Haemoglobin... adaptive advantage for endotherms in cold environment
14 is a and 19 is c im fairly sure

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I still kinda disagree with 14 though.. I think its B...
"Therefore, freshwater fish are constantly excreting water through their gills and never drink to keep the body salts non-diluted."
source: http://fish.mongabay.com/anatomy.htm
Alot of sources have stated that the gills are responsible for the excretion of water and most of the nitrogenous wastes.... the kidney however maintains ions in freshwater fish... via absorbing it into its blood...
I'm so confused about 14?... I hope the markers take both answers...

liz2814

HSC
I still kinda disagree with 14 though.. I think its B...
"Therefore, freshwater fish are constantly excreting water through their gills and never drink to keep the body salts non-diluted."
source: http://fish.mongabay.com/anatomy.htm
Alot of sources have stated that the gills are responsible for the excretion of water and most of the nitrogenous wastes.... the kidney however maintains ions in freshwater fish... via absorbing it into its blood...
I'm so confused about 14?... I hope the markers take both answers...
if you mean absorbing salt from there environment, it is wrong because they cannot just absorb more salt. whatever they take in from the water is what is taken in, like there is only so much salt in the environment and there is hardly any in the fresh water. and also they use their gills for salt, not their kidneys.

liz2814

HSC
Thanks.... what do u think band 6 cut off will be?
i dont really know, but everyone has said that the multiple choice was really hard so that will probably lower it... some other people were saying around 82-83? I heard that the band 6 cut off last year was 79

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
i dont really know, but everyone has said that the multiple choice was really hard so that will probably lower it... some other people were saying around 82-83? I heard that the band 6 cut off last year was 79
Gr8...If the band 6 cut off last year was 79.. the maximum this year can go to 84... there has never been a year where band 6 cutoff has increased by >5 from previous years.... So I agree with 82-83 this year!!... People are saying that the test was easy.... but the marking guildlines for biology are very specific.... So just have to wait and see how we go!

nansourian

HSC
its C. A is transgenic, B is just regrowing, D is not the answer because D is grafting!. hybridisation is the mixture of two species eg mule:donkey and horse, labradoodle: labrador and poodle.

nansourian

HSC
thats grafting, not hybridisation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)