Selective for year 10 (1 Viewer)

GD-2005

HSC
Hello All,
I am looking to appear for the Year 10 selective. My preference schools will be Girawin, Caringbah.
I am looking for some help/guidance with respect to the test, on what will be the pattern of the test and more. Also, I would like to know where I can find past test papers/practice papers.

I don't have very high scoring academics score, hence my understanding is that the test is going to be critical.

Any assistance will be helpful. Appreciate your help!

Thanks

D-BOSS

HSC
N/A
Hello All,
I am looking to appear for the Year 10 selective. My preference schools will be Girawin, Caringbah.
I am looking for some help/guidance with respect to the test, on what will be the pattern of the test and more. Also, I would like to know where I can find past test papers/practice papers.

I don't have very high scoring academics score, hence my understanding is that the test is going to be critical.

Any assistance will be helpful. Appreciate your help!

Thanks
You're year 10 currently?

Sunaina123

HSC
Hi, I am interested in applying for syd girls and baulko this year.
Reports
Year 9 yearly- 7as and 3bs
Year 10 half yearly- 6as 2bs
Recived letters of excellence - top 25 people for both reports
Naplan
3 band 10s one band 9
Comps
Migrant so, i have comps that i participated i india
Int english olympiad- distinction medal
Green olympiad- distinction medal
Spell bee 1st prize
Dudtinction year 9 science icas

Extra curriculars
Peer support
Red shield appeal
Girls in property
Social justice group
Student voice network
Whats my chance of getting in?.

D-BOSS

HSC
N/A
Hi, I am interested in applying for syd girls and baulko this year.
Reports
Year 9 yearly- 7as and 3bs
Year 10 half yearly- 6as 2bs
Recived letters of excellence - top 25 people for both reports
Naplan
3 band 10s one band 9
Comps
Migrant so, i have comps that i participated i india
Int english olympiad- distinction medal
Green olympiad- distinction medal
Spell bee 1st prize
Dudtinction year 9 science icas

Extra curriculars
Peer support
Red shield appeal
Girls in property
Social justice group
Student voice network
Whats my chance of getting in?.
Are you an Australian citizen? Also what's your current school? I also recommend looking at Hornsby Girls or North Sydney girls too.

D-BOSS

HSC
N/A
Yeh, you'll definitely get in Sunaina123. But instead of Baulko, you should go put 1. Sydney Girls, 2. North Sydney Girls, 3. Hornsby Girls, as your preference. Also GD-2005, don't try out for Girraween if you're trying Caringbah. I HIGHLY recommend Caringbah over Girraween. And don't put Girraween on your preference at all.

Sunaina123

HSC
Hey D-BOSS on what basis do you think I'll get into syd girls and not baulko. Thanks

Drdusk

π
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, you'll definitely get in Sunaina123. But instead of Baulko, you should go put 1. Sydney Girls, 2. North Sydney Girls, 3. Hornsby Girls, as your preference. Also GD-2005, don't try out for Girraween if you're trying Caringbah. I HIGHLY recommend Caringbah over Girraween. And don't put Girraween on your preference at all.
Girraween is a great school that consistently ranks higher than Caringbah. What are you on about?

D-BOSS

HSC
N/A
Hey!

I just needed some help for my application as I am trying out for year 11 next yr, I currently go to Mitchell High School, below is information regarding my application

Report:

1) Year 9 Yearly Report: 1B and the rest all A's
2) Year 10 Half Yearly Report: 1B and the rest all A's

Extracurricular:

Club or Activity Name
Book week volunteering
Debating / Public Speaking
Science and Mathematics Exposed
Leadership Workshop at Taronga Zoo
Sustainability Expedition at Observatory Hill
Gardening Club
Environmental Market Day Organization
Adjudication of Primary School debating
Premier’s Reading Challenge
Organization of Biggest Morning Tea
Operation Christmas Child
Member of Leo’s Club or Lion's Club
Robotics & Artificial Intelligence Club
First Lego League robotics competition
Member of Social Justice
Plus more!

External Competition

- 1) ACER Language competition: Distinction
- 2) AMC: Distinction
- 3) AMC (year 10): Distinction

Awards:

- 1) First in course: Mathematics
- 2) First in course: Coding

NAPLAN:

- One band 9 and the rest Band 10

And thats it, however I dont think that I have a good chance of passing, as my peers have better applications have better application (as they have more first in course awards like 5 or 6), would that drag my application down? Anyways could you please tell what my chance would be, thanks!
You already did year 10? Then how are you going to try out? And if you're peers have better applications, it's going to be extremely hard getting in.

idkkdi

HSC
Yeah, one of my friend has got literally like 5 or 6 first in course awards & he might get dux, so I am guessing that will drag me down significantly...
Your school's ranking is a bit crap. Therefore, the admission test will probably be quite important.

D-BOSS

HSC
N/A
Cheltenham is good. Doesn't have too much competition, you should try out for that. Just hope your friend doesn't try out and don't forget your school ranking is low so that'll drag you down so trying to get into a top 20 selective school is too tough.

idkkdi

HSC
So does the test have a big influence on your admission regardless of such factors, like if I do well in the test and my friend supposedly does average who would be picked?
Education standards are somewhat dodgy even in the top 20 schools. Therefore, from their perspectives, low-rank schools must have some dodgy af education standards. Thus, first in courses awards only proves you have the ability to compete in dodgy af schools. In this case, if I was a principal, I would probably place more weight on a Distinction in AMC than first in courses at a rank 300+ school as it provides a variable to compare with the rest of the state.

With first in courses, you have proved to have the ability to thrive in rank 300+ schools. Now the question is whether you have the ability to still compete in high-ranked schools. Other than an entrance test, they have nothing else to validate whether you have the ability to thrive in their school's environment.

In addition, if we consider it from a purely statistical point of view, there are possibly 50+ students from other similarly low-ranked schools applying for a selective school transfer. It is likely, that they all respectively hold qualifications such as first in the course. Now, how do we separate the 20 that can thrive in the school with the others that won't succeed as well? This is why the entrance exam of whatever form will be important.

Given that your friend and your score is close enough/very similar, your friend may be chosen. However, if a large enough disparity appears, the test should have heavy influence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)