Selective school holidays (1 Viewer)

wzsmartypants

HSC
To those who are in selective schools, going to apply for selective schools, people who just got into selective schools and people who get straight As:
What do you guys do during the holidays? Study? If so, how?

Randomstudent123

HSC
Hi, I took the selective test for Normanhurst, North Sydney Boys and James Ruse in 2020 for year 11 entrance, and I got accepted into NSB.

These are my thoughts on the exams and how you should prepare:

Basically, just prepare for the exams and make sure you know the format. Depending on the school(s) you are applying for there may be different ways of examination( e.g for James Ruse most of the tests were very rapid and intense multiple-choice questions especially in math, reading, and verbal reasoning (though there was writing) while in schools like Normanhurst and North Sydney Boys the tests were longer and required you to respond and write more and demonstrate deeper understanding on how to solve questions. For maths first, understand the concepts that would be taught and tested in a selective school at that year level or even higher and try to do practice exams from THSC online. For English again depending on the schools you are applying to practice the skills you would need in the exam e.g for NSB and Normanhurst you have to be very good at spotting techniques and providing good analysis and observations in short answer questions whilst being adaptable and descriptive for the creative writing section in a very short time span usually from 40-60 minutes. I would strongly suggest that in the holidays you plan out your time and how you are going to practice and prepare for the exams. Good Luck! If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

shashysha

HSC
To those who are in selective schools, going to apply for selective schools, people who just got into selective schools and people who get straight As:
What do you guys do during the holidays? Study? If so, how?
played games, talked to friends and vibed, didnt study, regret not studying, cycle repeats until trials and again until hsc. on a real though, if you really do want to make use of your holidays, revise old content from the previous terms and get a few weeks ahead (like 3-5 max) for the next term since you don't want to be bored in class if you know it all already. No regrets for me though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)