• We need YOUR help for the next generation of students! Upload your notes and exams on our Notes & Resources page!

Selective school, Public Schools or Private Schools (1 Viewer)

Quantum_Legacy

HSC
Can anyone explain which type of school is the best choice and please give me a reason. Thanks

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Lol you're asking someone provide a simple black and white answer to a vaguely worded question, and then whittle down decades of discussion (that is still being debated continuously to this very day) into one all-encompassing subjective reason. It's like asking, which ice cream is better: chocolate or mango?

You can always just google if you want to read about the strengths and weaknesses of each (referring to the schools of course, not the ice cream).

Sugarrrrrrr

HSC
Hi, friend! This is a question that cann't be answered directly. That's because both private schools and public schools have their own advantages and disadvantages. What's more, each person's economic situation or other actual situations are different, and these factors will greatly affect a person's choice. Hence, to select a school, you are strongly recommended to compare private schools and public school then make a decision.

Accurate

HSC
Selective schools, period. If you got the money then private.

Drdusk

π
HSC
Uni Grad
Selective schools, period. If you got the money then private.
Not necessarily. Not everyone can cope well with the stress and competitiveness of a selective school.

In terms of marks and achievements obviously selective schools are the best, but whether it's a good fit for a student is more so about the strengths of each student and how they can cope with competition.

Selective schools are a form of public school so at the end of the day Private schools on average have better teachers.

Accurate

HSC
Well i'd totally go if I had a chance, im in a rank 300 ish school and im tired of people telling me im going to get a 50-60 ATAR because of the school i go to.. cocky cunts but then again i might LOL, ill just accept the fact im getting a crap ATAR. Competition is meant to be a good thing, it motivates people to excel, if you're a person that doesn't like studying you will end up studying anyways if you're in a highly competitive environment, that's what i've observed at least. If you're in a dumb environment , you won't have enough competition unless you go to tutoring where there are smarter kids.

More competitive environment any day of the week.

iStudent

HSC
Well i'd totally go if I had a chance, im in a rank 300 ish school and im tired of people telling me im going to get a 50-60 ATAR because of the school i go to.. cocky cunts but then again i might LOL, ill just accept the fact im getting a crap ATAR. Competition is meant to be a good thing, it motivates people to excel, if you're a person that doesn't like studying you will end up studying anyways if you're in a highly competitive environment, that's what i've observed at least. If you're in a dumb environment , you won't have enough competition unless you go to tutoring where there are smarter kids.

More competitive environment any day of the week.
Hey man doesn't matter what school you go to. Honestly, 300+ schools are great because teachers give plenty of positive reinforcement if you manage to do well. Definitely shaped my high school journey and even though I'm almost done with uni I still cherish my high school years like it was just yesterday. All the stress in a selective school environment (and perhaps negative reinforcement from everywhere around you) just leads to more stress and anxiety while not necessarily being productive.

Accurate

HSC
Hey man doesn't matter what school you go to. Honestly, 300+ schools are great because teachers give plenty of positive reinforcement if you manage to do well. Definitely shaped my high school journey and even though I'm almost done with uni I still cherish my high school years like it was just yesterday. All the stress in a selective school environment (and perhaps negative reinforcement from everywhere around you) just leads to more stress and anxiety while not necessarily being productive.
Hmm yeah thanks for the motivation! Did you end up going to a low ranked school?

iStudent

HSC
Hmm yeah thanks for the motivation! Did you end up going to a low ranked school?
Haha I was with my 300+ ranked school from Yr7 til 12 (HSC '14). Finished with high 99 atar and I'll be wrapping up my med degree this year? Don't give up hope!

Accurate

HSC
Also how hard is Medicine, dont you have to study all day for that?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Some parents also send their kids to private schools, not because they have great teachers, but because of the resources they have and the connections they'll make with other students/parents. So for them, their primary focus is not on academics like most other students, but rather on something which may make more of an impact on their career in the long run.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the kid, depends on the area, depends on the school, and depends on resources.

It is a multi-factorial question that it is impossible to answer.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I wonder if Op is asking as a student in school, or a parent debating what school to send their kid to. I'm in the latter category and whilst I went selective, given you have to enroll pretty much at birth, I'm looking at which private schools to enroll in (and pay the ridiculous fees now).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)