Selective Schools & Band 6's (1 Viewer)

dsakvyilsa

HSC
This is a pretty random question lol, I was just looking at the HSC honour roll and I wondering.....
How many students (approx.) at top 10 selective schools don't get a single band 6?

I think I'd feel pretty ripped off if I paid that much money/put in all that effort to attend a selective school just for 1 (or 0) band 6's 😭 (of course, a band 6 is still an amazing achievement)

Last edited:

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
This is a pretty random question lol, I was just looking at the HSC honour roll and I wondering.....
How many students (approx.) at top 10 selective schools don't get a single band 6?
very few i think, looking at my school's one rn from last year and excluding all the accelerants (there's a lot, most of the people who got only one band 6) around less than 20 get no band 6?

I think I'd feel pretty ripped off if I paid that much money for a selective school just to 1 (or 0) band 6's 😭
this is my nightmare, wasting all my parent's money to not even get a band 6 at all

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
selective schools in general are such a foreign thing to me, I find it hard to actually comprehend what they would be like 😭 I've never really encountered anything like it, living rural and quite some distance from Sydney
they're just normal schools tbh, apart from the 'academically-inclined' cohort i think there's really nothing special about selective schools

it's rural that seems so alien to me haha. (and i have to ask, is it like the outback or something where you live? or just some really remote town somewhere?)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
No, I actually live pretty close to the coast! not super remote either, but nowhere that anyone would've heard of 😅 so yeah, not rural in the outback-y sense, just small.

I've literally spent 1 day in Sydney in my entire life :oops:
only one day? that's so interesting (like the city part right? i've barely been to the cbd myself, i went a few days ago but that was like the first time in what felt like ages)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It is important to note that while selective schools are designed to accommodate academically capable students, they remain public government schools, just like comprehensive schools. This means that, unless we are discussing highly ranked private schools (for instance, Sydney Grammar School), selective school fees are minimal. Of course, a number of students who attend selective schools choose to use a tutoring service, although the fees associated with tutoring are independent of selective schools.

carrotsss

HSC
they're just normal schools tbh, apart from the 'academically-inclined' cohort i think there's really nothing special about selective schools
What’s the social life like? Are people as competitive as people say they are? Are relationships and the like common?

I feel like school life would be so boring without the occasional boyfriend/girlfriend lmao, although I guess that would be more of a coed vs single sex school thing

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
What’s the social life like? Are people as competitive as people say they are? Are relationships and the like common?

I feel like school life would be so boring without the occasional boyfriend/girlfriend lmao, although I guess that would be more of a coed vs single sex school thing
social life = the same as other schools, though i'm 95% sure that it decreases just before exams lmfao
competitive levels differ on the subject, but tbh i think people who complain about how competitive selective schools are sometimes blow it out of proportion. however i know at least in my school you can kind of see the competitive 'streak' (?? i don't know a better word) in maths (and to a slightly lesser extent english and the sciences).

i wouldn't know about any dating or drama lmfao, i stay away from that but we can't be that boring...

Vall

HSC
social life = the same as other schools, though i'm 95% sure that it decreases just before exams lmfao
competitive levels differ on the subject, but tbh i think people who complain about how competitive selective schools are sometimes blow it out of proportion. however i know at least in my school you can kind of see the competitive 'streak' (?? i don't know a better word) in maths (and to a slightly lesser extent english and the sciences).

i wouldn't know about any dating or drama lmfao, i stay away from that but we can't be that boring...
I think social life is a lot less in selective schools (at least my one).
Also no dating at our school as single sex.
There is competition a bit but its 99% friendly banter - the top two guys in maths bet each other an anime figurine for who would rank first internally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)