Selective vs Mainstream (1 Viewer)

richaabatra

HSC
Hi All

I just came to Australia last year and fortunately I got through selective exam that I appeared for. Now my question is should I continue in my current high school that has HSC rank 68 it is partially selective school but I am in the non selective stream or should I move to the selective stream of this other partially selective school which has HSC rank 130.

What are factors to consider please advise as am new to the Australian education system. Should i be worried that I may not get all my subjects in Year 11 in my current school as preference will be given to those from selective stream or should I worry that if I go to the selective stream in the low ranking school my ATAR may be impacted by a low performing cohort unless I am in the top 2-3 students of each subject. Please advise. Thanks

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi All

I just came to Australia last year and fortunately I got through selective exam that I appeared for. Now my question is should I continue in my current high school that has HSC rank 68 it is partially selective school but I am in the non selective stream or should I move to the selective stream of this other partially selective school which has HSC rank 130.

What are factors to consider please advise as am new to the Australian education system. Should i be worried that I may not get all my subjects in Year 11 in my current school as preference will be given to those from selective stream or should I worry that if I go to the selective stream in the low ranking school my ATAR may be impacted by a low performing cohort unless I am in the top 2-3 students of each subject. Please advise. Thanks
A rank of 68 vs 130 is not too big a difference. The difference in rank matters less and less the lower a school is ranked. A rank 1 school vs a rank 5 school is going to have a massive difference unlike a rank 60 and a rank 65 school.

NESA uses moderation to ensure fairness across all schools. If you go to a lower ranked school in all likelihood it will be easier for you to get a higher rank, so I wouldn’t really be concerned as that won’t drag your atar down. Look I went to a school ranked 400+ and even then my school didn’t drag my atar down, and I wasn’t first in every subject either. Personally if you’re asking me I would not move unless it was for extension subjects like extension 1 and 2 maths. School ranking actually doesn’t directly affect your atar but it does have some glaring side effects. Higher ranked schools tend to have harder exams that prepare you better, a better cohort that encourages you to work harder, and a safety net more or less if you screw up the external part of the HSC. My advice is stay in your school unless you know you won’t get major subjects like Extension Maths/English, or more than two of the subjects you want.

richaabatra

HSC
A rank of 68 vs 130 is not too big a difference. The difference in rank matters less and less the lower a school is ranked. A rank 1 school vs a rank 5 school is going to have a massive difference unlike a rank 60 and a rank 65 school.

NESA uses moderation to ensure fairness across all schools. If you go to a lower ranked school in all likelihood it will be easier for you to get a higher rank, so I wouldn’t really be concerned as that won’t drag your atar down. Look I went to a school ranked 400+ and even then my school didn’t drag my atar down, and I wasn’t first in every subject either. Personally if you’re asking me I would not move unless it was for extension subjects like extension 1 and 2 maths. School ranking actually doesn’t directly affect your atar but it does have some glaring side effects. Higher ranked schools tend to have harder exams that prepare you better, a better cohort that encourages you to work harder, and a safety net more or less if you screw up the external part of the HSC. My advice is stay in your school unless you know you won’t get major subjects like Extension Maths/English, or more than two of the subjects you want.
[/

Thanks there but I have few years to go till I know if I will get a subject of choice. If I stay in the current school do you think i stand lesser chance for a subject of choice compared to those studying in selective classes. I mean they will be the first preference to be assigned a subject of choice and then remaining people get what they want if there are any seats left.

wzsmartypants

HSC
Hi, I'm in selective stream for a partially selective school. Continue in your current high school.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Transferring is always an option if you don't really like your school/cohort. From your HSC completion date, looks like you've got plenty of time to decide.

wzsmartypants

HSC
There's no difference between mainstream and selective stream in HSC years

richaabatra

HSC
Hi, I'm in selective stream for a partially selective school. Continue in your current high school.
Hi there how has been your experience. Do they really teach you better and more in depth than other classes. What are the plusses and minuses

richaabatra

HSC
Mainstream and selective will no longer exist in your hsc years as all classes will be combined. Stay in your current school.
Hi thanks but doesnt the foundation become stronger when we are in selective class so we get an edge in the HSC

wzsmartypants

HSC
Hi there how has been your experience. Do they really teach you better and more in depth than other classes. What are the plusses and minuses
My school has three campuses. Two of the three campuses is yr7-10 and partially selective. Then we all go to this senior campus. The senior campus is ranked 180s. Nah not really they don't teach you better and more in-depth. Plus would be that people in the selective classes are generally nicer and smarter (ofcs). There were really smart people in the beginning but most of them transferred to top selective schools. Since your school is ranked 68 which is very good for a non-selective public school, i 100% recommend you staying at ur school.

richaabatra

HSC
I was in a selective class in a partially selective school. Being in a selective class (from my experience) overall teaches you how to be more disciplined and organised to be able to balance the overwhelming amount of work you get (which is way more than what the mainstream get) and also be able to have a social life. Youre also in more ‘advanced‘ classes such as 5.3 maths. All these things can be taught while you’re in mainstream, selective class just enforces it on you. In my opinion, stay in your current school. Selective classes are only really that special when you’re in your junior years. All classes will be combined when you reach your hsc year. Dont forget that ranks dont come from junior years, but the hsc year. Your current schools cohort is able to get you on that 60 rank which is amazing. The other school has a 130 rank which is not that bad, but not as good as your current school. I recommend you stay, but at the end of the day it is your choice : ).
Thanks a lot but wanted to know will i find it hard to get maths or english extensions if I am not in the selective class as they get priority for their choices?

wzsmartypants

HSC
for my school ur automatically in 5.3 if ur in one of the two selective classes, and there's one 5.3 class for mainstream, sorted based on maths ranks (top 30 in the mainstream).

kkk579

hello
HSC
Hi All

I’d say stay in ur current school because for partials most schools merge mainstream and selective stream in years 11 and 12

kkk579

hello
HSC
Thanks a lot but wanted to know will i find it hard to get maths or english extensions if I am not in the selective class as they get priority for their choices?
Not sure but just do well as long as ur top3 in most or even better all ur subjects u can still get that 99+ atar just gotta work hard for it.😁😁

kkk579

hello
HSC
Hi All

Just wondering, what partial selective did u make?

wzsmartypants

HSC
if ur able to get into other partially selective schools, then getting into extensions will be no problem for u. :)

richaabatra

HSC
if ur able to get into other partially selective schools, then getting into extensions will be no problem for u. :)
exactly that is my question my current class in non selective class in a partially selective school ranked 68 and i have an offer from a selective class of partially selective school with rank over 130. Hence am confused.Should I go to current school and try to get a seat in the extension class which only tome will tell or should i go to lower ranked school whwre i will get guaranteed extension subjects but school environment is not so good.

kkk579

hello
HSC
exactly that is my question my current class in non selective class in a partially selective school ranked 68 and i have an offer from a selective class of partially selective school with rank over 130. Hence am confused.Should I go to current school and try to get a seat in the extension class which only tome will tell or should i go to lower ranked school whwre i will get guaranteed extension subjects but school environment is not so good.
Just stay in current and try and get a seat in extension subjects, I’m sure u can make it anyways!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)